Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TechGrunt
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,638
Message 11 of 22

POSSIBLE FIX - Thunderbolt 3 dock will not charge X1 Carbon 5th Gen

We have been seeing this issue for sometime now, found the answer using the Offical Lenovo Troubleshooting Guide for the ThunderBolt 3 Dock here: 

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/options_iso/tp_thunderbolt3dock_troubleshooting.pdf

The solution appears to be: In Lenovo's words you "MUST have a 135Watt Power Supply" - which was provided with the dock according to this tshooting guide.  You can use - https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/partslookup locate the FRU P/N on the back of the AC power brick and determine what wattage of power brick you have.  

Still have to test it, but since we only have 90w power supplies on hand, not sure if we have been shipped the correct power supply - still sorting this out, but wanted to share this Troubleshooting guide and the big find, being try a 135 watt supply.   

Best wishes to ya!

bdjohnson14
What's DOS?
Views: 5,608
Message 12 of 22

Re: Thunderbolt 3 dock will not charge X1 Carbon 5th Gen

I'm having the same problem.  Purchased X1 a week ago and the Thunderbolt 3 dock yesterday.  For most of today the dock was charging the laptop, but not it will not.  A short while ago I installed some updates from the Lenovo Companion, the only thing that has changed today.  I've confirmed I have a 135W power supply and I am plugged into the power port on the back of the dock.  I don't know anything about updating the BIOS so that's the only suggestion I haven't tried.  

Any thoughts / suggestions are greatly appriecated!!

Sigurdur
Paper Tape
Views: 5,589
Message 13 of 22

Solution: Go into the BIOS (press ENTER at startup) and "disable the battery for technical service". After the computer shuts down, you plug the computer back in and that should be it!
tbThink17
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,572
Message 14 of 22

There is a 90 Degree USB C Type C Male to Female Adapter on Amazon for $9 that works really well to improve the short cord situation.   I place my x1c in front of the dock and the right angle adapter sends the dock wire straight back to the dock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XHQJG8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or search on "Exuun (2-Pack) 90 Degree USB C Type C Male to Female Adapter, Right & Left Angled 90 Degree USB-C USB 3.1 Type-C Male to Female Extension Adapter for Laptop & Tablet & Mobile Phone"

edl1
What's DOS?
Views: 5,428
Message 15 of 22

Great! you made my day!
Ajax81
What's DOS?
Views: 4,978
Message 16 of 22

Re: POSSIBLE FIX - Thunderbolt 3 dock will not charge X1 Carbon 5th Gen

"The solution appears to be: In Lenovo's words you "MUST have a 135Watt Power Supply" - which was provided with the dock according to this tshooting guide."

Bingo, worked for me, Thank You. I was using my travel adapter, which worked with my T40s docking station.

DJL0
Paper Tape
Views: 4,923
Message 17 of 22

Re: POSSIBLE FIX - Thunderbolt 3 dock will not charge X1 Carbon 5th Gen

It still doesn't charge from the front usb-c.

I feel very cheated from lenovo's thunderbolt 3 dock. anyone success with the front charging?

Joelp31
Paper Tape
Views: 4,896
Message 18 of 22

Make sure you connect the wire from your dock to the proper slot of thunderbolt of the computer you will see a thunder on the side of him

JeffreyEsq
What's DOS?
Views: 4,830
Message 19 of 22

THIS is the better solution. My power supply is the one that came with the Thunderbolt Dock. It took a minute to find the place in the BIOS to do this.

Find it under POWER settings in BIOS.

x61yang
Serial Port
Views: 1,484
Message 20 of 22

Hi,

I tried your solution and nothing happened. My Thinkpad X380 Yoga turned off and when it is back on, it still says not enough power from the dock. My power supply is 135W.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors