Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Methodician
Paper Tape
Views: 829
Message 1 of 4

Thunderbolt 3 graphics dock for Yoga X1 2nd gen?

In short: can you recommend a graphics dock suitable for the Yoga X1 2nd gen?

I just got this decked out ThinkPad Yoga X1 (second generation) and all it really needs to crush graphics-demanding games is an external graphics card. I've read articles about using Thunderbolt 3 graphics docks for just this use case, and I've read about a specific Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 graphics doc which appears to be only compatible with one model (not mine). What I can't find is anything about plugging one of these into my computer, or if it supports such a thing at all... Can any computer with Thunderbolt 3 use generic Thunderbolt 3 external, self-powered graphics cards?

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 783
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thunderbolt 3 graphics dock for Yoga X1 2nd gen?

@Methodician wrote:

I just got this decked out ThinkPad Yoga X1 (second generation) and all it really needs to crush graphics-demanding games is an external graphics card. I've read articles about using Thunderbolt 3 graphics docks for just this use case, and I've read about a specific Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 graphics doc which appears to be only compatible with one model (not mine). 

I recommend looking some of them up on Amazon, and searching the reviews for the word ThinkPad or Yoga, and then seeing if the reviewer made it work with a second gen. The Lenovo Graphics Dock (with GTX 1050) has been reported to work with the X1 Yoga 2nd gen, and it worked fine with my X1Y3 after some initial BSODs during install. Right now I have a GTX 1070 in a Sonnet eGFX which works pretty great as well. I think an Aorus box should work fine as well. Basically any eGPU should work, but just make sure that at least one person made it work with the X1Y2.

One more tip, try to look up if your CPU would limit the performance. Buying a super high end graphics card doesn't help much if your CPU can't keep up with running other aspects of the game. I had trouble finding good info on this, I think even my i7 X1Y3 does not allow me to push the 1070 to the max. 

Methodician
Paper Tape
Views: 776
Message 3 of 4

This was extremely helpful. Thanks for the clarification! I spoke to a Lenovo representative and they explicitly told me that their dock (Lenovo G0A10170UL Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock) would only work with the IdeaPad 720s. Good to have a knowledgeable community out here! I now feel confident doing additional research myself knowning that this eGPU thing is nothing special, just new to me.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 772
Message 4 of 4

Sure thing, glad I could help. Keep an eye out for Black Friday / cyber Monday deals, some of which are live already. It's a good time to get new gear!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors