Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X1_User1
Paper Tape
Views: 18,592
Message 1 of 44

Thunderbolt Controller Error

Hi, upon booting into Windows I get an error message that states: "A Thunderbolt controller has experienced a problem and cannot connect to devices or other computers until new firmware is installed" as shown below:

Thunderbolt_Error.png

I started getting this error message soon after installing the latest version of the Thunderbolt software (17.4.77.400) a couple days ago. I've installed the latest version of Thunderbolt drivers and firmware, as provided per the Lenovo Vantage application and my system is currently up-to-date with Windows 10 updates and Lenovo driver updates.

Here are the versions of the Thunderbolt software, firmware, and system BIOS that I have currently installed:

• Intel Thunderbolt Software for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad T480, T480s, X1 Carbon Gen 6 - version 17.4.77.400
  • Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad X1 Carbon (Machine types: 20KH, 20KG) - version 1.0.12.0-N23TF13W
  • BIOS Update Utility for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad X1 Carbon (Type 20KH, 20KG) - version 1.31

System information:

• Laptop: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6G
  • Type: 20KH

I was on the phone with Lenovo tech support today about this for about 2 hours to no avail. We've tried reinstalling the Thunderbolt driver and firmware from Lenovo, uninstalling the Thunderbolt device in Device Manager, rebooting, and reinstalling the driver, etc. but nothing seemed to fix this.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or have suggestions to resolve?

Thanks!

glennbullion
Paper Tape
Views: 18,410
Message 2 of 44

Re: Thunderbolt Controller Error

Similar issue here, but with an Yoga X1 (2nd edition).  Can't get the Thunderbolt Dock to work for this reason.

Everything seems to be updated properly.

glennbullion
Paper Tape
Views: 18,352
Message 3 of 44

Interesting updating. Got this same error message on another computer completely, and HP Folio (the new model with the brown leather case). However, a BIOS update from HP fixed the issue.

I didn't get a chance to see yet what caused it. It was working yesterday, so I have to assume an automatic update of some kind.

jslips
Paper Tape
Views: 18,230
Message 4 of 44

Did anyone get a solution for this? I have the same issue.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 18,142
Message 5 of 44

Dear customer,

development team had asked Intel what kind of action user needs to do when this error come out.

The answer was to flash the Thunderbolt Firmware again. 

Can you try to perfrom the Thunderbolt FW update again manually?

You can get the FW update package from below;

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

X1_User1
Paper Tape
Views: 18,103
Message 6 of 44

Hi Rydeen, I tried installing the firmware several times (1.0.12.0-N23TF13W) but it didn't solve my problem. I eventually tried using System Restore to restore my computer to a state before I installed the latest version of the Thunderbolt software (17.4.77.400) and that seemed to work for me.

jslips
Paper Tape
Views: 18,077
Message 7 of 44

For anyone else having the issue, I was able to solve. Uninstall the Intel Thunderbolt driver via Add remove programs, run the firmware update, then install the intel thunderbolt driver again.
PeterTheGreat17
What's DOS?
Views: 17,587
Message 8 of 44

Hey ive been experiecing the same issue recently. I reinstalled the Intel Thunderbolt Software. Tried to install the Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility for Windows 10 (64-bit) but it told me that I don't have a thunderbolt controller. I could not find the Intel thunderbolt driver in add remove program though....

jslips
Paper Tape
Views: 17,576
Message 9 of 44

Just a heads up. It fixed mine for a few days then a few weeks later the motherboard went bad for me(stopped turning on). So not 100% on the best solution.

thenige
Paper Tape
Views: 15,722
Message 10 of 44

I received the same error on my T470 - and uninstalled software/reinstalled firmware + software and it works again . . . . for awhile.  No particular time period passes, however the message re-appears and I repeat the resolution. 

I'll likely submit a service request as there is never a convenient time for this to happen.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors