Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_Locke
Paper Tape
Views: 10,768
Message 11 of 42

Re: Thunderbolt Controller Error

Same error message on my T470. I do connect my external display through it though without any problems, so it actually is just the message that bothers me. Lenovo Vantage regularly has an update for the controller to install, but it never solves the problem.

thenige
Paper Tape
Views: 10,740
Message 12 of 42

Sadly the message only displays on the laptop screen when it wakes from sleep and this is how I know the external monitor won't activate as it is connected to the eGPU.  This has probably happened twice or so since my previous post in this thread.

Lenovo support sent me a new drive and a recovery key so I'm going to swap drives and reinstall Win10 and the software, then wait for it to happen again.  When it does it's off to a business partner for diagnostics without the firmware workaround and the message still there.

WWWorm
Paper Tape
Views: 10,636
Message 13 of 42

This is my way how i solve this problem. Using X1 yoga gen2, but i think all steps will be identical.

2 weeks ago i also see this message, i downloaded firmware upgrade, after flashing it works about 2-3 days. but any new day my dock stop working. I tried to reinstall drivers, but nothing worked.

Prepairing:

Download latest driver for your model and firmware update from lenovo

TURN OFF INTERNET

Check in bios for default settings for thunderbolt (on my bios all enabled, security - user authorization)

Main problem that windows install new drivers and you can`t normally flash controller.

1 step - uninstall ALL thunderbold drivers, reboot

2 step - in device manager check if you see thunderbolt controller - delete drivers including software

3 step - check in managment computer installed thunderbold services. If you see them - delete this service with administrator command promt (sc delete SERVICENAME)

4 step - Find all drivers that stored in windows, such as windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository (look for tbt*) and you need to delete all folders with saved drivers (Carefuly check all that it is for thunderbold driver) This is system owner for folders, you need to change owner in sercurity settings for finded folders before deleting.

After you fully clean all old and new drivers, reboot. In device manager must bee unknown device.

5 step - Install latest thunderbolt software. After installing you may see that software can be uninstalled, reboot.

6 step - upgrade firmware. If you done all steps right, it must be flashed ok. reboot

7 step - If you thunderbold software say that it is not used and can me removed - do it.

8 step - i found new whql intel driver https://necacom.net/index.php/intel/thunderbolt/11872-intel-thunderbolt-software-version-1-41-613-1-... and updated unknown device with this driver

9 step Download from microsoft store Thunderbolt control center.

All works at this moment good.

Main Idea - only cleaning all type of drivers  before installing official drivers can provide correct firmware update.2019-04-01-10-48-54-ae5b.pngNew thunderbolt control center2019-04-01-10-50-19-b167.pnglatest intel driver

bergwalek
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 10,596
Message 14 of 42

I also have an X1 Yoga 2nd Gen.  I've also had this problem for a month or two.  I was sure that something isn't working because my external monitor wouldn't desplay over the Lenovo Graphics Dock (external GPU). 

I contacted customer service.  I have a "premium contract" so they were pretty responsive.  Their assessment was that the Thunderbolt module was actually bad and needed replacing... right now it's not convenient to have it replaced,... but this thread here makes me think it's more of a driver/software issue, and I'm inclined to believe it's software related because it did stop working directly after an update that caused a lot of CPU grinding and churning.  

Interestingly, when I connect my laptop (to my 4k monitor) directly via cable (USB-C at one end and HDMI at the other), it does display properly.  So what's interesting is that it only doesn't work through the eGPU... this then makes me think that any cables which transfer video signal from USB-C to HDMI aren't actually using Thunderbolt at all?  

WWWorm
Paper Tape
Views: 10,592
Message 15 of 42

2 monitors connected to dock via displayport cables

Only 1 thunderbolt cable from dock

mpegtoo79
What's DOS?
Views: 9,977
Message 16 of 42

Similar issues to those discussed.  Lenovo P52s using a SIIG USB Display Adaptor on 64-bit machine connected to two 4K monitors running at reduced resolution mode with NO issues in the displays.  Thunderbolt error appeared in mid-March 2019 without explanation (no driver changes, only routine periodic Windows 10 updates).  Downloaded the Intel Thunderbolt software version 17.4.78.500 (package) and 17.4.78.21 (Driver).  Verified document ID #DS502250 and followed instructions.  Install wizard (EXE for the 'package') showed the most current updates installed, with two of three options grayed out -- only "uninstall" was allowed.  After reading most of the other posts, finding all the 'expected' solutions were tried (on other Lenovo machines in same class) to no long term avail.  Only one comment indicated the TBolt interface card needed replacement. 

There doesn't seem to be any other performance issues, except when using the (very poor) Snipping Tool in Windows 10 - whereby the screen on the left (a replication of the laptop screen) changes from full screen to 1/4-screen (pushed into the upper left) -- making captures from that screen useless.  The right screen (extension) is fine, no issues if the capture is on the screen.  This issue started about the same time as the "TB error" arrived).

Any other similar observations?

WWWorm
Paper Tape
Views: 9,935
Message 17 of 42

Firstly try to clean all drivers as i posted, install actual drivers and update firmware. In most cases it will solve problem
HeneryHawk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,726
Message 18 of 42

I'm having two issues that I think are related.

Periodically I get an error on my desktop that says "A Thunderblt controller has experienced a problem and cannot connect to devices or other computers until new firwmare is installed."

And when I try to update the FW it throws an error/warning that says "Only minimal validation was done to the image file because the controller is in safe mode."

I've tried multiple combinations of fixes including setting the bios pre-boot enabled setting.

As a side-note, I am using a Lenovo USB-C Dock which appears to be largely working.  The details between USB-C and Thunderbolt can get very confusing.

Diagnosing the problem here is very frustrating.

WWWorm
Paper Tape
Views: 9,724
Message 19 of 42

Last time when i needed to update firmware, i also saw message that inly minimal validation done. If firmware updated succesefuly, it working fine.
Be sure that all drivers are cleaned and installed only latest from lenovo.
HeneryHawk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,698
Message 20 of 42

It is the "controller is in safe mode" part of the message that seems to be linked to the errors I keep getting popping up on my desktop.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors