Did you mean: 
Omar_Karkanawi
Paper Tape
Views: 1,568
Message 31 of 46

Re: Thunderbolt Controller Error

Same problem with a Yoga X1 (2nd Gen)

I think it has to do with the WIndows 1903 update

Prior to that the docking station was working perfectly, and then it stopped after the update

I re-installed Windows and it worked again, and then when I installed the 1903 update it stopped working again

LENOVO needs to figure out why ASAP

wwang1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,347
Message 32 of 46

hello all,

I'm on T470 and have the same issue with:

- Thunderbolt Software 17.4.78.500

- Win 10 Home (x64) build version 1809

I've tried to flash the Thunderbolt firmware with what's available from Lenovo support\T470, but it won't continue due to "unable to find suitable bin". 

Then I manually tried the commandline tool: FwUpdateCmd.exe

I've only got this far as attached in my screenshot. It says my controller is in "safe mode". I'm not sure how to get it out of this mode for firmware update. Wake command failed.

Hope someone will be able to figure it out!! Thank you!

2019-08-30 13_33_44-Command Prompt.pngFwUpdateCmd.exe from the Lenovo Thunderbolt firmware update

pgat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,293
Message 33 of 46

The same issue on my 2nd Gen Yoga as well. ;/

k0ssi
What's DOS?
Views: 1,188
Message 34 of 46

same here on t470s

USB-C / TB3 isn´t working since days

Tried on Windows 1809 and 1903

Bios 1.33 and 1.34

BobbieERay
Paper Tape
Views: 1,171
Message 35 of 46

Same here on my X1 Carbon 6th Gen. I've had this system for 3 weeks now and from one day to the other, the Thunderbolt ports just stopped working. I'm thankful for all of the support in this forum, but none of the proposed solutions worked for me. The controller just won't show up in the Device Manager no matter what I try or do. This is very disappointing. I've raised a support ticket now, but I'm not very confident that this will be fixed

ansible212
Punch Card
Views: 1,123
Message 36 of 46

@Omar_Karkanawi wrote:

Same problem with a Yoga X1 (2nd Gen)

I think it has to do with the WIndows 1903 update

Prior to that the docking station was working perfectly, and then it stopped after the update

I re-installed Windows and it worked again, and then when I installed the 1903 update it stopped working again

LENOVO needs to figure out why ASAP

I've had a similar experience with my X1 Carbon 5th Gen: all sorts of issues with 1903 (verified by fresh install - prior to 1903 no problems but almost immediately problems once upgraded), so I've reverted (via a further fresh install) to 1809 which appears to be trouble free.

These issues appear to be wider than Lenovo - I've seen similar reports on the HP and Dell fora.

BobbieERay
Paper Tape
Views: 1,011
Message 37 of 46

Just a quick update from my end; after opening a ticket, Lenovo support reached out to me and they pretty much said immediately that they'd have to replace the motherboard. I'm not convinced as this rather seems like an SW issue, but there you go. They'll come by next week to replace it. I'll let you know if it actually fixes the problem

ansible212
Punch Card
Views: 971
Message 38 of 46

@BobbieERay wrote:

Just a quick update from my end; after opening a ticket, Lenovo support reached out to me and they pretty much said immediately that they'd have to replace the motherboard. I'm not convinced as this rather seems like an SW issue, but there you go. They'll come by next week to replace it. I'll let you know if it actually fixes the problem

Could be because of the recent critical software/firmware update announcement:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Critical-Intel-Thunderbolt-Software-and-Firmw...

I'm not convinced it applies in my situation as I have still had zero issues running Windows 10 1908, however who knows? I have an ongoing service request open with Lenovo and I wouldn't be surprised if they say that the motherboard needs replacing.

Totost
Paper Tape
Views: 953
Message 39 of 46

Thunderbolt ports also not working on my Yoga X1 Gen 2.
Latest Thunderbolt software from Lenovo's support is installed (n1nta05w), but the firmware update tool (n1nth10w) is not successful and gives back an error that no active thunderbolt controller found in the system...

Does anyone have any idea how to get around this or we have to wait for Lenovo to come up with a new firmware/controller?

BobbieERay
Paper Tape
Views: 801
Message 40 of 46

They replaced the mainboard on my X1 6th gen today and it did not change a thing. Just out of curiosity I reinstalled Windows (earlier build 1809) and even did a complete factory reset. It is still broken. I've given up. I'll see if I can return it, but this was the last Thinkpad I ever bought. Good luck to everyone else out there with the same problem. Cheers.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors