Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaumye
What's DOS?
Views: 1,948
Message 41 of 56

Re: Thunderbolt Controller Error

I cannot beleive there is no solution to this yet. This is ridiculous. I had a major presentation at work, and all of a sudden my HDMI doesn't work on work Levnovo X1 Carbon! Just ridiculous, was working fine just 2 weeks ago. This is totally unacceptable by Lenovo. I already contacted my employer (huge tech company) and told them about the issue. I hope they never buy Lenovo products again. Thanks Lenovo for ruining my presentation. 

BobbieERay
Paper Tape
Views: 1,897
Message 42 of 56

I feel you. I was in a similar situation. My machine worked fine for 2-3 weeks and then the HDMI and Thunderbolt ports just died from one day to the next. I though that I had messed up something, but even after Lenovo offered to install a new mainboard and I did a full factory reset, reverted to a previous bios version and even tried different Windows versions, I gave up. Even Lenovo gave in and offered me a refund in the end, because all they clould offer was to change the mainboard yet again...but I wasn't ready for the 3rd mainboard in a 4 week old machine.

There must be some fundamental issue here and I don't know if Lenovo is the one to blame. It might very well be an issue with Windows, Intel drivers, or whatever, but the fact they weren't able to reproduce and fix the problem left me stranded in the end. 

Lidnu
What's DOS?
Views: 1,521
Message 43 of 56

Noticed that an external keyboard connected to the docking station did not receive power from the docking station.

Tried to boot up the system a couple of times ... no effect.

Finally, a temporary solution that worked for me:

laptop connected to the docking station

both the laptop and the docking station turned on

disconnected the power cord from the docking station so that the docking station lost power

waited for about 10 seconds

reconnected the power cord to the docking station

Occasionally an external ThinkVision monitor connected to the docking station does not wake up when booting up the laptop and the docking station.

Somehow this method helps and the monitor wakes up properly:

disconnected the powercord from the monitor

pushed the power on switch of the monitor for several seconds (discharges capacitors of the monitor electronics?)

reconnected the powercord to the monitor

timfry
Paper Tape
Views: 1,323
Message 44 of 56

Thank you so much for your well-written post!

I came into my office yesterday to a non-working dock, did everything I could think of to fix it, and it wasn't until your post that I had any luck. This totally fixed it!

Well done! Cheers!!

HeneryHawk
Punch Card
Views: 1,306
Message 45 of 56

zxmar05
Punch Card
Views: 1,280
Message 46 of 56

It may not be Lenovos fault.

I'm using a HP Thunderbolt dock, and I always lost all USB devices connected to the dock when unplugging and replugging.

Only a computer reboot would get these devices back to work.

Just yesterday I updated the firmware of this dock, and now the problem is gone.

My guess is that this Thunderbolt thing is just new and complex enough to continue to be a problem for a while.

NJGLEN
Punch Card
Views: 1,118
Message 47 of 56

I've had this issue a number of times, where the Intel Thunderbolt software continuously restarts and countinously causes the Windows Taskbar to reset, making the machine unusable. This was even after a rebuild and latest updates installed. 

The solution I found was:

1. Remove the mains power lead.
  2. Press enter and then F1 to go into the BIOS
  3. Go to the Power settings and Disable the Battery (This is usually used for maintenance of the laptop). 
  4. The machine will power off and the only way to power it on again is to insert the mains power lead and then press the power button
  5. The machine will boot normally and as the battery power was disabled the Motherboard and Intel Thunderbolt controller are reset. 
  6. The Thunderbolt controller should now be working fine.

Hope this helps resolve your issue. 

(It have had the issue return even with the latest BIOS, Chipset and Thunderbolt Firmware, and i simply follow the steps above to resolve). 

johntchow
Punch Card
Views: 1,087
Message 48 of 56

yeah i have a similar setup like some others on this thread.

lenovo thunderbolt 3 dock

x1 yoga 2nd gen

been using it like this for a couple years now without any issues. i did notice about a few months ago the auto update for the TB controller would fail to successfully install each time, but i didnt think much about it since everything had always been working.

then a couple weeks ago, my 2 extermal monitor stopped working so i swapped with a Dell TB dock since that's all i had to try. to my surprise the dock was detected and the monitors started workng again. it didnt have all the ports i needed so i just went ahead and ordered another TB3 dock since i figured the lenovo dock died. later that afternoon i decided to just try the TB3 dock and to y surprise, everything started working again. i was going to cancel my TB3 dock order but i figured i might as well keep it as a spare -- just in case.

so everything was working fine last week but then i connected on monday morning and the TB3 dock was not connecting again. so i switched to the new one i had just received, and it still didnt work. pulled out the Dell TB dock and it also wasnt working. 

so then i started googling this issue and started to find these threads and the update from Lenovo with the new driver and firmware update for the controller. needless to say nothing has worked. even rolled back to the previous Windows 10 version. basically where my ssystem gets stuck is when doing the firmware update, it keeps saying that i can't find the TB controller. i called lenovo support and they basically just tried some stuff by the book but didnt seem to know much about these issues reported in the forums. since i have onsite support they just said they will send a new motherboard out... but i am not hopeful.

this morning i decided to try the onboard HDMI since i have never used it, and i can confirm even my onboard HDMI doesnt work.

NJGLEN
Punch Card
Views: 1,070
Message 49 of 56

Try the reset in the books I suggested above. It's not the same issue but it may help. 

johntchow
Punch Card
Views: 980
Message 50 of 56

just to close the loop on my experience. my issues has been resolved. it was in fact a bad motherboard. 

what was interesting was that when the tech came yesterday to swap out the board, as he was taking my laptop apart, he realized they had sent hm the wrong board. he said it has been happening a lot lately.

anyway, he put everyting back together again and then when i plugged in the charger, now the laptop wasn't charging. it would only run on battery so he was pretty certain the board was slowing dying and it was the board that was causing my issues.

he placed the order for the correct board and was back at my office this morning. once he swapped it, windows detected my TB3 dock and now everything runs as expected.

so maybe there was a bad batch of boards for the X1 yoga gen2 for the others who have had issues with the TB controller all around the same time. but my issue was resolved by having the system board changed.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors