Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zennrix
Fanfold Paper
Views: 427
Message 1 of 7

Thunderbolt Controller Missing

I have an X380 and my thunderbolt port stopped working recently. I've found that the thunderbolt controller seems to be entirely missing from my laptop somehow. It doesn't show up in device manager at all.

I uninstalled the thunderbolt software and reinstalled it but that asn't helped. I'm getting an "0x20C SDK_NO_DEVICES" error when I try to install the new TB firmware that's supposed to fix it. Anyone know how to get the controller back? Should I be deleting old firmware folders?

KyleR2
Paper Tape
Views: 370
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thunderbolt Controller Missing

I have a T580 and a thunderbolt 3 gen 2 dock (that has been working for me for over a month). 

I am now experiencing similar issues. 

I was eferrred to this link: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht508988

Sadly, the T580 is listed as 'pending' but maybe it will work for you?

If you find a solution, please let me know.  My IT deptartment has not been able to figure out how to force-install the firmware...  my Thunderbolt software is up-to-date (reinstalled multiple times).  Everything we've tried has failed.

zennrix
Fanfold Paper
Views: 368
Message 3 of 7

I saw that link but I can't install any of those since my thunderbolt controller has entirely disappeared. I keep getting an error saying that there is no thunderbolt controller or software when I try to install 

tbThink17
Serial Port
Views: 319
Message 4 of 7

I've had this problem numerous times on my x1 extreme.   I think resetting the button on the bottom of the laptop (via paper clip) has helped.

KyleR2
Paper Tape
Views: 264
Message 5 of 7

I've tried resetting with the pinhole on the bottom of my T580.

That has not worked.

EdTittel
What's DOS?
Views: 140
Message 6 of 7

Before giving up entirely on the Thunderbolt controller, try DriverStore Explorer. For some odd reason when my X380 has no Thunderbolt device plugged in, it is also absent in Device Manager. But as you can see in this screencap, the Thunderbolt controller (and the correct driver .inf file -- tbt100x.inf) DOES show up in RAPR.exe/DriverStore Explorer (in greyed-out form to show no active connection).

tbolt-rapr.jpg

My best guess is that if you hooked a Thunderbolt device up, it would indeed then show up in Device Manager. It is definitely there on my X380 as  a search for tbt100x.inf confirms:

srchevery-tbt.jpg

HTH,

--Ed--

Download DriverStore Explorer/RAPR.exe from https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer/releases

zennrix
Fanfold Paper
Views: 130
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for the suggestion but I've managed to fix it. Turns out that Lenovo had bungled the thunderbolt firmware a few weeks ago and when I tried to update it the thunderbolt controller somehow deleted itself instead. Refreshing windows fixed the issue 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors