Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rising_Star
Paper Tape
Views: 1,085
Message 1 of 7

Thunderbolt Graphics Dock and Thinkpad X1 Yoga, 3rd Gen

I have recently purchased both of the subject items.  I was informed via chat channels with Lenovo that the graphics dock would work with the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen.  However, upon connection, my Yoga recognizes that a Thunderbolt device has been connected but it does not recognize that a graphics card or USB ports exist.  Thus, my mouse, keyboard, and monitor do not work while connected to graphics dock.  I have downloaded and installed the drivers for the graphics dock but the result is still the same.  Does the graphics dock really work with the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen?  If so, is there a BIOS setting I must address to make this configuration work?

Update:  I have been able to get the Thunderbolt 3 Graphics dock working with the Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen.  It required a going into the BIOS>>Config>>Support in Pre Boot Environment: Thunderbolt Device and set it to "Enabled".  Once this was accomplished then upon boot, the dock and its internal devices; i.e., video card, Ethernet, and USB were recognized and installed.  I did need to select "Allow Always" in the security application.  Also, the video initially installed with the typical Microsoft default video drivers.  I performed a re-install of the Thunderbolt graphics dock drivers, and upon reboot, the correct drivers installed for the nVidia graphics card in the dock.  All is well, and the video card is working great with my BenQ SW271 4K HDR PhotoVue monitor.

Manifestphoto
SCSI Port
Views: 238
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thunderbolt Graphics Dock and Thinkpad X1 Yoga, 3rd Gen

I'm having some trouble getting it to work.  I did as you said in the BIOS, and also downloaded the firmware updater and drivers from https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds500314

The drivers seem to have installed correctly, however when I run the firmware updater (as administrator) I get a screen saying:

Please connect the Thunderbolt Dock first
then run upate tool again
Press any key to continue . . .

(Even though the dock is connected already).  When I push any key, the screen simply disappears, and no update is performed that I can tell.  

Computer is charging and USB mouse/keyboard will function, but no signal to my monitor through either of the DisplayPort connections.  Status light is orange, not green.  

Manifestphoto
SCSI Port
Views: 229
Message 3 of 7

After some fiddling, I seem to have it working.  Not sure exactly what fixed it, but some series of unistalling/reinstalling the driver and trying again with firmware etc. did the trick.   Now to see how it performs . . . 

Manifestphoto
SCSI Port
Views: 189
Message 4 of 7

So it's been working, mostly, however I've had some buggy behavior.  It doesn't always get recognized when I plug in, and often requires unplugging and re-plugging to get the GPU to connect and show my external monitor.   

More disconcerting, it seems to be causing the external HDD that I have plugged into it to sometimes be unable to read the data on it.  This gave me a big scare the first time, making it look like everything had been erased . . . but rebooting windows and plugging it into the laptop directly showed everything was still there.  Haven't figured out yet why sometimes it's readable and sometimes not, but it's throwing my backup program for a loop, causing it to think I deleted everything and then suddently put it back, which in turn causes it to re-upload everything using tons of internet bandwidth.  Very frustrating.  

Anyone else have similar experiences or insight into how to fix it?

Rising_Star
Paper Tape
Views: 148
Message 5 of 7

It sounds like you are experiencing the same issues I have been for some time.  First, I do experience times when I need to power cycle the docking station and/or reboot the Thinkpad.  It seems to me that the problem is brought on by a less than smooth connection as I plug the Yoga into the docking station.  By this I mean that when I am able to simply insert the connection without needing to adjust as I am inserting the connection, everything works as it should.  When I have to adjust as I am inserting, then I encounter problems but even with this it is not frequent.  My speculation is that an interrupt or process gets hung due to an intermittent on/off/on sequence of events.  I have been able to repeat this by inserting at an angle and then adjusting for a proper connection.  The only fix that I can imagine at this time is perhaps Lenovo needs to modify the driver to delay on the event change until sufficient time has passed to give the user time to properly seat the connection.

The other issue that you are experiencing is tied performance issues with the USB ports.  I noticed occassionally that my keyboard and mouse would lose connection and then restore.  Likewise, any external drives would lose their connection momentarily and then restore.  This became very apparent when I was using GoodSync to move or copy files.  As I watched the progression of activity GoodSync would report that the connection was lost.  It would then report that the connection had returned and it resumed the tasks from where it was interrupted.  This cycle of events would occur several times throughout the course of the tasks thus prolonging them.  I finally stopped using the USB ports on the docking station for anything critical or interactive and began using the ports on the Yoga in conjunction with a USB hub.  The ports on the Yoga do not experience the same issues even with the hub which leads me to believe this is docking station issue.  I am pondering if it is a bandwidth allocation problem or possibly drivers.  Presently, my Yoga is connected to my Thunderbolt Graphics dock to which I have one Ethernet connection and one 4K monitor (BenQ SW271).   

At one time I had swapped out the cable between the Thinkpad and the dock thinking that I may have a damaged cable.  However, I found that other cables did not perform as well as the one provided by Lenovo.  The interesting experience on this endeavor was that my Ethernet throughput dropped by almost half consistently.  This one item that causes me to consider the other issues may be bandwidth related through the Thunderbolt connection.  I am continuing to dig into this as time permits.

bh108
Fanfold Paper
Views: 111
Message 6 of 7

I am using the Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock with a Thinkpad X1 Yoga, 3rd Gen (intel 8350 with 16gb ram).  I got a very good deal when it was on sale recently.  I use it with a 4K Dell monitor.  It seems to be runnig fine most of the time.  After playing with it for a while, (not simple), now my X1 yoga reconizes most of the time when I plug the dock in.  Occasionally, I need to reboot.  I went to the Nvidia site, downloaded Nvidia experience and with that installed the latest Nvidia  driver.  I have not been able to install the Lenovo firmware (update?) for the dock. Should this be a probelm? 

Generally I am very happy with the dock.  I have found I do not trust the usb ports on the dock to maintain a perminent connection .  The usb ports on the X1 yoga are fine maintaining a connection.

Manifestphoto
SCSI Port
Views: 70
Message 7 of 7

Prior to getting the graphics dock, I was using the regular Thunderbolt 3 (non-graphics) dock. I had intended for the graphics dock to replace the regular dock, but given these issues I thought maybe I could get a working system by daisy-chaining the two together (X1 to regular TB3 dock, then TB3 dock to Graphics dock).

Unfortunately, I'm not able to get the computer to ever recognize the graphics dock when it is attached to the regular dock. When I attach it I get a message that the USB device was not recognized (similar to what I sometimes got connecting the graphics dock directly). It shows up in my Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Devices as "Billboard Device" with the yellow error sign on it. Device Status reads "This device cannot start. (Code 10) A device which does not exist was specified."

Any ideas about why this won't work, or how to resolve?
Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors