Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asterixmic
Paper Tape
Views: 8,036
Message 1 of 18

Thunderbolt firmware detect tool

Hello,

I keep getting this warning. I see that this is the latest firmware.

Why do I keep getting this info and how do I remove it?

Capture.PNG

Guru
Views: 8,003
Message 2 of 18

Re: Thunderbolt firmware detect tool

Just wondering.  Are you running Vantage to check for updates?  I get that whenever I check for updates.  IF I dont check for updates it doesnt come up.  The other way it doesnt come up is if i disable Thunderbolt in BIOS.  BUT if I disable it in BIOS I get a fault error when I run Vantage to check for updates.  A Lenovo Employee says that it shouldnt generate an error and they are trouble shooting that.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Pre-Installed-Lenovo-Software/constant-faulting-of-FwUpdateCmd/m-p/4189...

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

asterixmic
Paper Tape
Views: 7,978
Message 3 of 18

I have Vantage installed and checks for updates, but I just checked by running a manual update and it did not pop up.
But what I noticed from the other thread is that also a Thunderbolt device can cause this. I have a USB-C dock from Lenovo.

Let's see what they come up with by troubleshooting it.....
ty2k18
Paper Tape
Views: 7,921
Message 4 of 18

I have this exact same problem.

Using either Lenovo Vantage or System Update.

While it's checking it sounds like I'm unplugging/plugging back in devices (such as usb flash drive), it makes that same sound when it checks. To me it seems like a bug. Does this software (the checker tool) need to be removed?

tvBilly1
SCSI Port
Views: 7,850
Message 5 of 18

I've never seen the alert shown in the OP, but I do get the Thunderbolt software loading and running when using either Vantage or System Update to check for updates. Happens when the update check is between 96%-98% done. Started happening a month or so ago after an update to the Thunderbolt Firmware (or something like that).

It triggers a couple of USB mount/unmount tones, then runs the Thunderbolt software (which shows up in the System Tray). Easy to quit the Thunderbolt software via a right click on its icon in the tray.

This on a X1YogaGen2. Thunderbolt Software package version 17.3.74.400, application version 17.3.74.11, service version 17.3.74.9, controller driver version 17.3.74.8. Thunderbolt Controller generation Thunderbolt 3 (15D2), NVM Firmware version 27.00. Not that you asked... Smiley Happy

Annoying though it is, I just figured (guessed) that the updaters (Vantage/System Update) need to launch the Thunderbolt software to see if any Thunderbolt items are connected that might need an update, and that the Thunderbolt software needs to be running to check.

My Thunderbolt software doesn't run by itself at other times (and I don't have any Thunderbolt items connected). And as I said, I've never seen the alert shown in the OP.

AllenD225
What's DOS?
Views: 7,072
Message 6 of 18

I have the same exact issue.  It is awfully annoying, and I have not found any fix.  All drivers are up to date.  I even did a clean re-installation of Windows.  Same issue.  Lenovo, please help!

AllenD225
What's DOS?
Views: 7,068
Message 7 of 18

Did you ever find a fix?

dcbarrett
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,376
Message 8 of 18

Bump - also having this issue on 3gen x1 yoga still.

tvBilly1
SCSI Port
Views: 6,360
Message 9 of 18

And to correct my earlier message where I said: "My Thunderbolt software doesn't run by itself at other times (and I don't have any Thunderbolt items connected)."

The Thunderbolt software does load itself and run at odd times for no apparent reason. I close it from the System Tray, but it's still annoying and a fix would be nice.

olavrb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,875
Message 10 of 18

I have the exact same issue with my Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th gen. Not even a clean install of Windows 10 Enterprise changed this behaviour. Only thing I've installed manually (Not via Windows Updates) is Lenovo System Interface Foundation, Lenovo System Update and Lenovo Ventage. I always turn off automatic updates for Lenovo software, because I prefer to look for updates myself.

The "Thunderbolt Firmware Detection Tool" runs every day. I think it's triggered by reboots / cold starts, but it also starts running at odd times. Causes lots of notifications, sounds and lag when some device is unplugged / plugged back in. Really irritating.

This must either be a process by Lenovo or Intel. If anyone have a fix for it to go away, please share. I'll do some more research and post if I find anything.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors