Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

09-21-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 1

Thunderbolt ports dead

2020-09-21, 20:52 PM

Hello, I have an X1 Extreme Gen 2, and I'm having an issue with both of the thunderbolt ports. 

I use a USB-C adapter to plug in my peripherals, displays, ethernet and audio. When I plugged in the adapter today, everything came to life as normal, then after a few seconds everything suddenly turned off and my speakers made a pop. The computer was otherwise still functioning fine.

This has happened to me before when grabbing the adapter or when plugging something in, but in the past I've fixed it by unplugging the adapter and plugging it back in. This specific adapter is the only one that does it, I've used many different ones in the past.

Any input would be appreciated, I've tried basic things (like restarting the computer, everything is up to date) but nothing has fixed it. Obviously, something has been fried by some short inside the adapter, as far as I can tell. Hopefully it isn't a dead thunderbolt controller or something broken in the CPU like broken PCI lanes. I don't understand the technology behind all this, which is why I'm here.

Thank you in advance

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms