cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bluebeat888
Serial Port
Views: 818
Message 1 of 10

Thunderbolt software X1 Extreme. Please help.

Hi Folks.

I have X1 Extreme laptop. Trying to connect USB-C (gen 2) monitor, does not work properly.

When I plug hard drive to Thunderbolt port, it shows up in "My computer" and is accessible, but it does not show as a device in Lenovo Thunderbolt software that came with machine... It shows "ports", but no devices...

Can somebody please tell me if it (attached devices to Thunderbolt) should show up there.

Please see attached. Trying to figure out if my monitor has compatibility issues or just flaky TB3 controller.

I thank you in advance.

bluebeat888
Serial Port
Views: 792
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thunderbolt software X1 Extreme. Please help.

I thought this would be answered relatively quickly as it requieres no technichal knowledge.

Out of several forums I communicate with people, this is probably to slowest yet. Strange thing is that Thinkpad technichal support SuPeRvIsEr recomended I post here Smiley Happy 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 760
Message 3 of 10

If it's a Thunderbolt monitor, it will show as a Thunderbolt monitor. What kind of monitor is it, exactly?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
bluebeat888
Serial Port
Views: 755
Message 4 of 10

bananaman, thanks for reply, for a moment I thought it was a ghost town.

It is a USB-C (gen2) monitor. Single cable for Power, touch and video. Works well on Yoga Thunderbolt 3, no issues. Plug and play. Yoga does not have same software for Thunderbolt... I am particulary interested if any device that is plugged to Thunderbolt port will show up in that particular Thunderbolt software tray...(which I believe is issued by Intel and distributed by Thinkpad)? For example usb-c external hard drive.

Thanks.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 743
Message 5 of 10

Only Thunderbolt devices will appear in the Thunderbolt Software. I can't tell if your monitor is a Thunderbolt monitor because you won't tell us exactly what kind of monitor it is. The symptoms strongly suggest that it is NOT a Thunderbolt monitor, more likely a monitor which supports DisplayPort or HDMI over USB-C.

bluebeat888
Serial Port
Views: 739
Message 6 of 10

Monitor, as I mentioned is a USB-C gen 2 monitor (alternate mode), which supports touch / video /power through usb-C alternate mode compatible machine. An older Yoga 370 with Thunderbolt 3 port, takes it like mother takes child. Never failed. The new X1 Extreme sametimes would accept it,  most times would say "device not recognized".

I tried uninstalling/installing USB drivers through device manager.

Updated bios to 1.8... Updated windows... Do not know what else to try before it goes for motherboard swap.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 732
Message 7 of 10

@bluebeat888 wrote:

Monitor, as I mentioned is a USB-C gen 2 monitor (alternate mode), which supports touch / video /power through usb-C alternate mode compatible machine. An older Yoga 370 with Thunderbolt 3 port, takes it like mother takes child. Never failed. The new X1 Extreme sametimes would accept it,  most times would say "device not recognized".

I tried uninstalling/installing USB drivers through device manager.

Updated bios to 1.8... Updated windows... Do not know what else to try before it goes for motherboard swap.

Please specify the make and model of the monitor.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

bluebeat888
Serial Port
Views: 720
Message 8 of 10

Model of the monitor has little to do with this specific issue.

It is  Magedok T156C 

It was tested with Yoga 370 (thunderbolt 3 port), Windows 10 and on my friend Mac laptop iOS.  Works perfectly, plug and play on both.

On this: X1 Extreme 20MFX003US it acts up. Sometimes it would work properly, most of the time it would not. Gets power, but no video signal. Other symptoms: When it works-it works does not shut down. If computer goes to sleep it would not come back even plugging/ unplugging or trying a different port.

What I tried:

Settings in Bios for Thunderbolt... security set to User Authentication (I tried no security )

reinstalling USB drivers,

reinstalling Chipset drivers,

Reinstalling Thunderbolt software

Different GEN2 USB-C cable

Latest Nvidea drivers...

Do not know what else to try.

One thing caught my attention. There is a firmware update through Vantage for "Intel Management Engine 12.0 Firmware" and page for download is broken... 

Would appriciate very much if somebody can suggest a possible solution.

Thank you.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 687
Message 9 of 10

Thank you for that! The Magedok T156C is not a Thunderbolt monitor, which answers your first question: This is why you should not expect it to appear in the Lenovo Thunderbolt software which came with the machine.

As to why the port on the X1 Extreme behaves intermittently, I would start by doing an Emergency reset. This will often clear up port weirdness.

ThinkPadX1ExtremeBottomReset.jpg

bluebeat888
Serial Port
Views: 674
Message 10 of 10

bananaman, thank you!

interesting solution, but did not help. I still have warranty on the machine. I want to wait until this: "Intel Management Engine 12.0 Firmware" becomes available as right now the download page does not work on Lenovo site. 

I suspect my problem related to fuzzy drivers, not hardware.   Will post back if I find solution.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors