cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Employee
Views: 23,557
Message 1 of 11

Tips for blue screen (BSOD) errors with Windows Vista and Intel Turbo Memory on X61/X61s

Important note: The symptoms and solutions described below address only a small subset of the possible causes for blue screen errors, aka BSOD. This information can help address blue screen errors specifically related to Turbo Memory, but may not solve errors related to other issues. Please read through the instructions completely, make sure they apply to your system, and after attempting the solutions please post back with your feedback for the community.

Some users may experience random blue screen errors with ThinkPad systems running Windows Vista with Intel Turbo Memory hardware. These blue screens may occur during normal usage on the system or they may occur when booting into Windows Vista. Blue screens related to the Intel Turbo Memory hardware may reference a stop code of 8086 with memory address locations of {0, 0, 0, 0}.

There are two main steps that you can take to help resolve blue screen issues related to Intel Turbo Memory.

Step 1: Update Intel Turbo Memory Driver

If the driver version is before version 1.0.1.1004-7.0.3.1001, please update to this version.

To determine what version of the Intel Turbo Memory driver is installed:

1.    Click Start, then click Control Panel.
2.    Click System and Maintenance.
3.    Click System.
4.    Click Device Manager.
5.    Expand the Storage controllers category.
6.    Double-click Intel Flash Cache Logic Chip.
7.    Click the Driver tab. Then you will see the driver version (for example, 1.0.1.1004).

The new driver and installation instructions can be found here.

Note: The Intel Matrix Storage Driver is updated with this package.

Step 2: BIOS version

If your BIOS version is older than those listed below, please update to the version listed.

How to check your BIOS version:
  1. Turn off the system.
  2. Turn on the system.
  3. While the To interrupt normal startup, press the blue ThinkVantage button message is displayed at the lower-left area of the screen, press the F1 key.
  4. The BIOS Setup Utility menu will be displayed. If you have set a supervisor password, the BIOS Setup Utility menu appears after you enter the password.
  5. Check BIOS Version and Embedded Controller Version.
  6. Turn off the system.
System BIOS versions:

ThinkPad X61 or X61s - BIOS version 1.06 (7NET25WW)

Please remember that these updates do not solve every possible system blue screen, but they do resolve several problems related to the Intel Turbo Memory driver.

-----------------------------------
Tim Supples
Lenovo Social Media

Got a question? Don't PM me, post it on the forum!
Lenovo Blogs
X60 Tablet SXGA+ primary, Z61p fully loaded workhorse
Former Employee
Views: 23,101
Message 2 of 11
Moved:

Re: Tips for blue screen (BSOD) errors with Windows Vista and Intel Turbo Memory on X61/X61s

highpark
What's DOS?
Views: 23,029
Message 3 of 11

Re: Tips for blue screen (BSOD) errors with Windows Vista and Intel Turbo Memory on X61/X61s

you can get the latest driver at www.intel.com  and do a quick search for "turbo" . A of today its up to driver version 1.5.
Former Employee
Views: 22,693
Message 4 of 11

@highpark wrote:
you can get the latest driver at www.intel.com  and do a quick search for "turbo" . A of today its up to driver version 1.5.

I realize I'm a little late responding to this, but we do not recommend you use third-party drivers. Yes, we use Intel's Turbo Memory card, but we work closely with Intel to ensure the drivers work properly with all of our hardware. Using a driver not provided by Lenovo opens up the possibility of more issues and will make diagnosis that much harder. If you do use this driver and are posting for help, make sure to identify that.
-----------------------------------
Tim Supples
Lenovo Social Media

Got a question? Don't PM me, post it on the forum!
Lenovo Blogs
X60 Tablet SXGA+ primary, Z61p fully loaded workhorse
antnyc
Paper Tape
Views: 22,507
Message 5 of 11

Hi Tim,

I checked my version of TM I had (it simply said 1.0.1.1004) & the date of the driver was 5/4/07 so I figured it was outdated.

Therefore I followed your Steps below. I went through the update process and it all seemed complete, but the date is still 5/4/07 and not the 7/13/07 as listed for the most recent update on your link.

How do i get the most recent driver or do I have it?

I am also running the latest BIOS.

Thanks.

System: Tpad X61S  1.8Ghz Win Vista Ultimate 2GB RAM, Turbo Memory
Windows 7 Build 7100
X61S
kevinchen3
Paper Tape
Views: 16,072
Message 6 of 11

Dear Tim,

First off, many thanks for the tips for resolving BSOD with Vista + Turbo Memory on X61.  I've been suffering from this BSOD for countless times since I bought in my X61 7673-CW9 in April 2008.

Even prior to having the pleasure to visit this wonderful forum, I followed both steps as indicated, and updated my Intel Turbo Memory driver to 1.5.0.1013 and my BIOS to 7NETB4WW (2.14).  However, the BSOD recurrs.

For the past two months, I've recovered my system to factory default settings using Rescue and Recovery for over twenty times, each time with the latest Intel Turbo Memory driver and BIOS.  Notwithstanding that, BSOD recurrs.

During these painful experiences, I tried two options: 1) making my X61 up-to-date by using System Update and Windows Update (including Vista SP1 or excluding Vista SP1); 2) keeping my X61 the status as factory default (i.e. without updating through either System Update or Windows Update (the automatic/scheduled update function of both is turned off)).  In either case, BSOD recurrs.

I'm 100% positive that the BSOD does not arise from any hardware or software/firmware I install.  I never install any hardware (e.g. RAM).  And, it is not caused by any software/firmware I install: the clear and unequivocal evidence is that at one time,I encountered BSOD while having restored back to factory setting and booting for the first time.

I live in Taiwan, and I seldom heard this BSOD here.  All of my friends (as most of Taiwan residents) using X61 operate in Traditional Chinese environment, whereas I operate in English environment.  In Taiwan, when booting for the first time after purchase/recovery, the Windows Vista Business system provides for lanuage choice (Traditional Chinese or English), and, once chosen, the language cannot be altered later on (unless, of course, the system is restored back to factory default settings).

My system specs are the same as the day I purchased it and are listed below (as I'm not sure if my machine type X61 7673-CW9 is applicable outside Taiwan):

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.4GHz

Memory: 1.00 G.B.

System: Windows Vista Business (32-bit)

Hard Drive: 160 G.B. @ 7,200 r.p.m.

And, of course, with Intel Turbo Memory 1 G.B.

I contacted the Lenovo support staff here in Taiwan for countless times, but they seem to be clueless.  I learned that some friends at this forum downgraded their OS back to Windows XP, but I chose not to.  The reason is simple: my purchase price for X61 7673-CW9 includes the Intel Turbo Memory, which cannot function under Windows XP (at least so far).

Therefore, I just wish to share my experience here and perhaps I can get some advice from you and other friends here.  Any advice will be tremendously and enormously appreciated.

Kevin Chen @ Taiwan

lightingguy32
What's DOS?
Views: 15,893
Message 7 of 11

Tim,

The X61 that I recently purchased is a model 7767-96U and it just recently started having bluescreen issued during the startup of windows Vista. Is the reason for this bluescreen the out of date BIOS and Ram driver? According to the blue screen it can't access the C drive, but I have ran Lenovo's rescue and recovery pack and the hard drive passed all of the tests. However, I am unable to update either (possibly I can do the BIOS) driver because there is no way for me to fully boot Windows Vista in it's current state.

steveba1
Paper Tape
Views: 14,585
Message 8 of 11

Disable the Intel Turbo Memory Controller if your system has one.

I had the exact same thing until I turned it off...

Open the Intel Turbo Memory Controller application

click on Intel Flash Cache Logic Chip

Make sure you work through all the tabs in the application. disable all instances of

Windows ReadyBoost

Windows ReadyDrive

I would experience Blue Screens 10x day until I disabled the above. It's been a great machine ever since.

Good Luck.

roym
What's DOS?
Views: 8,502
Message 9 of 11

I apologize in advance if this is not the right place for my question - I didn't find a better thread.

I just got an x200 with the 4gb intel turbo memory.

While I loaded ~1.2gb worth of applications through the intel turbo memory dashboard utility - it still says I am using only 0.3gb of the card (or 10%) and I have 2.7gb still free.

any idea whats going on? 

I couldn't find anything on Intel's site.

Thanks,

Roy.

hp79
HDMI
Views: 8,345
Message 10 of 11

Does it actually make it any faster loading applications? Maybe they are loading just certain parts of the application or allocating space on flash to save temporary or tiny changes on it. By doing so would benefit on speed and space.

On my experience using a 1GB turbomemory, I had no speedups at all with 4GB RAM. Totally useless junk, wasted $40 on it. All it did was slow my system, stutters windows for seconds, hyper-ring(waiting clock) on the mouse cursor. I actually took out the memory module and I'l gonna sell it for $15. I wish I had a chance to play with the 4GB turbomemory as they have app pinning.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors