US

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 23

Touchpad cursor stops moving when trackpoint click pressed in and released

2020-06-05, 14:26 PM

Hello everyone,

I received a brand new 4th Gen X1 Yoga a few days ago, took it out of the box, and immediately noticed while clicking around that the cursor stops dead in its tracks if I use the left or right click buttons at the top of the pad while moving the cursor with the touchpad. It freezes for about 1-1.5 seconds when it is pressed in and also when it is released. If I keep clicking, it will freeze and hold it in place until I stop, even if I'm moving my finger on the pad. However, if I use the trackpoint (red dot) instead of the touchpad to control the cursor and click, it's fine. No lag or freezing at all. It is also fine when I control the cursor with the touchpad and push the pad in to act as a mouse click. No lag at all there either. With this specific model (20SA), the left and right mouse click buttons at the top of the pad are controlled by and on the same port of the trackpoint, with the touchpad being separate.. so it seems like the issue is between with these two communicating. 

As mentioned, I noticed it immediately after unboxing with the Windows 10 it came with. I ran all windows updates and brought it up to 1909. Installed Lenovo System Update and installed all packages, including BIOS update. Still had the issue. Then I reformatted and installed my own fresh Windows 10, as well as all windows updates and all Lenovo System Updates, still had issue. At this point, my guess is that it is the system board. Can anyone confirm or suggest anything else to check? Or possibly even a confirmation that that's how this model behaves? I know it sounds relatively trivial, but it's a total deal-breaker for me.

Thanks for any and all input,

Mike

Options

4937 Posts

04-25-2008

US

39450 Signins

743588 Page Views

• Views: 743588
  • Message 2 of 23

Re:Touchpad cursor stops moving when trackpoint click pressed in and released

2020-06-05, 15:39 PM

Hi mikecha1080, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

Check that you have this touchpad firmware update installed - from the README: "Adjusted 250ms suppression time on touchpad when using trackpoint for palm rejection improvement".

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities.
Options

3 Posts

06-05-2020

US

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 23

2020-06-05, 15:56 PM

Thank you for the suggestion! Sadly, I tried and rebooted, but did not resolve. 

Options

3 Posts

06-06-2020

NO

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 4 of 23

2020-06-06, 19:11 PM

Hello everybody! 

I just got a brand new x1 yoga gen 5 and I'm having sort of the same issue. When clicking using the physical buttons, the touchpad freezes 0,5 sec or so. It's extremely annoying. No freeze if I physically click the bottom of the trackpad or if I use the dot-stick with the physical buttons. I'm guessing it's related to that if I'm clicking the physical buttons, It's assuming that I'm using the dot and if I'm using the touchpad I'm supposed to tap or physically click the touchpad. Well, I like using the physical buttons together with the touchpad. 

I noticed that the drivers for what I assume is the touchpad are from 2006... 

Any ideas?

Options

4937 Posts

04-25-2008

US

39450 Signins

743588 Page Views

• Views: 743588
  • Message 5 of 23

2020-06-06, 19:36 PM
I'm trying to understand this. I have an X1 Carbon Gen 8 here which has the same touchpad and Trackpoint, same drivers, and I can't reproduce the problem. I've tried clicking as fast as I can on a large list for example, and there's no problem. What exactly do we have to do to reproduce this?
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities.
Options

3 Posts

06-06-2020

NO

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 6 of 23

2020-06-08, 8:43 AM
Thanks for replying! I can reproduce by moving the mouse pointer slowly using the touchpad and then clicking any of the three physical buttons that are part of the touchpad. The mouse stops for ~0.5 sec and then continues. Throught the test I'm moving one finger slowly on the touchpad. If I use the trackpoint (red dot) and press the physical touchpad buttons, this does not happen. There are no windows updates or lenovo updates available. I'm thinking it might be some generic palm rejection timeout on the old 2006 drivers that could be tweaked in the registry but this is a brand new pc and I kin of expected it to work out of the box. Maybe I should submit a support case, or if someone from Lenovo is monitoring this forum, maybe create it and fix this. It can't be only me experiencing this. Thanks again for helping out. Best regards, Fredrik
Options

3 Posts

06-05-2020

US

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 7 of 23

2020-06-08, 16:18 PM

Just an update:

I contacted Lenovo to request a repair. They replaced the touchpad, touchpad cable, keyboard bezel, and finally the system board.. but it is still exhibiting the same exact behavior. I’ve never seen a laptop purposely do this but I've ran out of ideas and the Lenovo tech suggested perhaps that's how this model behaves. I can't stress how much I really can't accept that as an answer, doing simple things drives me nuts because of this issue. Also, this model isn't like other Lenovo models I've worked with in the past that had an entire Synaptics touchpad suite full of different options to change.. this just has generic Windows Mouse options under Hardware, so I can't adjust palm pressure, gestures, etc. I do want to finally point out that I disabled the Trackpoint so that the red dot and mouse click buttons wouldn't work and it STILL gave that .5 second lag when clicking the buttons, even though it couldn't register the mouse click.

Again, just to reiterate, this happened with both the Win10 it was shipped with, as well as reformatted and reinstalled with Win10 Pro update version 1909. Installed all MS updates, and all updates it found using Lenovo System Update software, including and firmware and BIOS updates, including after the system board and touchpad were changed.

I hate to say it, but I guess I got a lemon?

Options

3 Posts

06-05-2020

US

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 8 of 23

2020-06-08, 16:28 PM

I can recreate it endlessly just by simply moving my finger on the touchpad and clicking the left click button at the same time. It pauses it again for .5 seconds when you release the click button. As mentioned, it's so bad that it will freeze the cursor in place if you spam the click button even while continuing to move your finger on the touchpad. That .5 second delay every click really makes using this laptop a chore.

Options

20 Posts

11-30-2017

DE

6 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 9 of 23

Buildin hardware flaw?? Buttons above track pad make pointer stop! (X1 Carbon and X1 Yoga)

2020-06-09, 0:44 AM

I had that issue before with a X1 Carbon 7th gen. The left button above the trackpad which I primarily use make the pointer stop. That does not happen e.g. with the X1 Yoga 2nd gen. But now I ve got a X1 Yoga 4gen and I have the same issue again. I returned the X1 Carbon because of this and wifi issues. Do I have to return the notebook? I didn't find a solution for the Carbon. Installed all the updates etc. I just cannot believe that users can work with this. It litterally drives me nuts. It is probably too late for me, though maybe we can save the day for other users. 

Is this a feature? Can we turn that off or are we doomed to have a car with square shaped wheels when driving "lenovo cars"? I don't understand how the engineers at Lenovo can let that go through. But all I am interested in is hopefully fixing it if possible. Lenvo hasn't even returned the money for the Carbon yet. Haha. 

Options

20 Posts

11-30-2017

DE

6 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 10 of 23

Buildin hardware flaw?? Buttons above track pad make pointer stop! (X1 Carbon and X1 Yoga)

2020-06-09, 0:45 AM
Does anyone experience the same thing?
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete