Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 12 (4,646 Views)

TrackPoint and touchpad button are not working, HELP~~~

Hi All,

I am very upset as my new x61's TrackPoint and Touchpad Button are not working at all... This is my first Thinkpad Notebook. I really have no idea why is that? I have downloaded and installed the driver for Trackpoint and system reboots. And i update the drive from device manager. But the problem still existed.... I am so disappointed... Is there anyone have the same problem? Or can someone give me some help on this!??? By the way, i am using vista business version of OS....

Thanks

J.

Community SuperMod
Message 2 of 12 (4,632 Views)

Re: TrackPoint and touchpad button are not working, HELP~~~

Wowzer J, that sounds frustrating. It is odd if you have a brand new X61 that the TrackPoint is not working. Did you just buy it from Lenovo? What exactly do you mean by "not working at all"?

Even if the Lenovo drivers are not working, Vista includes drivers which will enable you to use the TrackPoint. One of the tricky things abou the Lenovo software downloads is that many of them require you to download, double click the downloaded software to extract it, then navigate to the extracted software folder to run the setup.exe to install it. The TrackPoint drivers first extract to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\TRACKPT.V32. You have to go there to run setup.exe.

I'm also assuming that you really have an X61 and mis-spoke when you mentioned Touchpad. The X61 does not have a touchpad.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Retired SuperMod
Message 3 of 12 (4,613 Views)

junzmy, welcome to the forum,

As Bananaman correctly points out the X61 doesn't have a TouchPad, maybe you could post the Type and Model Number as this will help members to help you. If it ends in CTO please provide some details about the ThinkPad. Please do NOT post your s/n.

Thanks

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
Message 4 of 12 (4,600 Views)

Hi Bananaman,

Thanks for the reply, Just as you said the new X61 does not have touchpad, but it does have buttons, such as left, right buttons under the keyboard area. All these buttons are not working at all. I download the latest version-4.64 of Trackpoint driver, and run the .exe file, and all the file is extracting to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\TRACKPT.V32 and then i double click the setup.exe file. Yes, it runs alright, and it requires you to reboot the laptop. I did all that, and i found the PS/2 Trackpoint in the device Manager. It looks all good but the Trackpoint just not working.

Not working at all, means when i press the finger on that red trackpoint, does is not actions at all.... mouse pointer not moving at all...... That's so rare.....

Paper Tape
Message 5 of 12 (4,599 Views)

Thinkpad X61 7674-4NM is my laptop type and model number
Community SuperMod
Message 6 of 12 (4,587 Views)

This is sounding like a hardware problem to me. Time to call Lenovo (hopefully you are still under warranty).

If you are adventurous, you could remove the keyboard, visually inspect it, and re-install it. This could just be a problem with the ribbon cable connection. The keyboard, Trackpoint, and Trackpoint buttons are one physical unit. Go watch the X61 keyboard removal/replacement video first.

Paper Tape
Message 7 of 12 (4,585 Views)

Hi, this is brand new unit i got this week. it has got 3 years warranty. so in this case i need to call lenovo to solve this out??
Community SuperMod
Message 8 of 12 (4,583 Views)

Wow. If it is brand new this week, get on the phone to Lenovo right away.
Paper Tape
Message 9 of 12 (4,580 Views)

The machine was built in Aug this year. And i just got it by this week.  I have my laptop at home. don't remember the serial number of my x61. so i think i will call them when i go home...

In addition, i don't know everyone have the same problem as mine. There is a plastic panel over the LCD frame, and for left side, the plastic panel is very losse. there is bit gap from the panel to LCD frame.... it's not covered firmly... is it normal??? or??? Thanks

Punch Card
Message 10 of 12 (4,559 Views)

Sorry you having trouble with the new machine. I am sure Lenovo will take care of you. They seem to be a company that stands behind their product. I think you and I received our computer the same week, so I can imagine how you feel.

Top kudoed Authors