10-01-2019

US

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 141 of 153

SOLVED: Trackpoint Drifting X1 Carbon gen5 / gen6 / gen7

2020-05-05, 14:50 PM

The x1's late generation trackpoint issues are not a software issue.  It is truly a hardware fault.  What is happening is that when the trackpoint is moved by finger force, it butts into the b,g, and h keys.  Cleaning the crud out with screen cleaner and a toothbrush helps, but not enough.

I tried sanding a bit off the keys and that only helped a little.  My drill's sanding bit is too large and coarse.

However, mostly to prove my theory, I tried introducing some cruft between the trackpoint cap and trackpoint.  I removed the cap, and poured some salt into the hole.  I then reinstalled it on the laptop, inverting the laptop to keep everything upside down prevent salt from getting out.

It now works so well that I'm going to have to cut the pointer sensitivity down a bit.  Try it.  The improvement isn't subtle.

Options

3208 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12283 Signins

176918 Page Views

• Views: 176918
  • Message 142 of 153

Re:Trackpoint Drifting X1 Carbon gen 6

2020-05-05, 15:04 PM

> I removed the cap, and poured some salt into the hole. 

I hope you realize that salt is just about the worst substance you can use. If the area gets wet, say from a liquid splash, the salt will dissolve and corrode the innards. 

Perhaps there's a more inert substance that's equally effective without the risk of corrosion, e.g. granules from a packet of silica gel desiccant?

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

118 Posts

02-03-2008

RTP, NC

155 Signins

1454 Page Views

• Views: 1454
  • Message 143 of 153

2020-05-05, 15:39 PM

I'm posting an update.  There is also a thread dedicated to the issue on X1E1. 

I've updated the FW/BIOS consistently and sometimes the drift lessened . 

I continue to believe this issue is design related from a thinness and thermals perspective.  

I've found as my machine has aged, it seems to be doing the crazy drift a lot less.  

But I've also learned to leave my screen open at night so the keyboard stays a lot cooler when the machine is running folding jobs. 

Thanks!

Options

11 Posts

05-16-2019

BE

16 Signins

118 Page Views

• Views: 118
  • Message 144 of 153

2020-07-25, 17:20 PM

I got the keyboard replaced yesterday, I think by now everything that is potentially related to this issue has been replaced. Today it drifted again... I can only imagine it is a design flaw or something in the software.

Don't know what the problem is, but I'm calling them back Monday >:( Are there any models not affected by this bug?

Options

118 Posts

02-03-2008

RTP, NC

155 Signins

1454 Page Views

• Message 145 of 153

2020-07-25, 21:36 PM

Unsure.  Yeap.  Many people have sent in units to replace the keyboard etc... and get no relief.  The trackpoint drifting issue has been reported and discussed across several Lenovo product lines, so IDK if there is a safer, "no-drift" model.  My work issued "T" series seems to behave better.  

FWIW, I (and many others) NEVER had a drifting problem with the former thicker Thinkpads (W/T).  So I still believe it has multiple issues, everything from thermals to the thinness of the units to firmware and drivers.  Before, when the units could be controlled with the software from Synaptics vs the "integrated dumbed down Windows" drivers, we had much finer controls.   Mine has calmed down a bit over the past year.  I update the FW/BIOS often; clean the trackpoint numb and area under it, replace the trackpoint about every 6-8 months, leave the unit open so heat can escape easier from the keyboard area, ... and even then, sometimes I still have the unit want to drift.  Then it magically stops.  It has baffled me for 2+ years now.    Funny thing is if I use the Lenovo Trackpoint Keyboard (USB), everything works perfectly.    Peace man, I just learned to live with it when it starts.  Mine does not do it constantly anymore.   Stay safe, stay alive.  Peace. 

Options

18 Posts

03-14-2011

CH

18 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 146 of 153

2020-07-26, 11:04 AM

It's definitely a heat-related hardware problem and it's easy to reproduce: Whenever I take my X1C gen 6 from my desk and put it in my lap, it starts happening. The reason being that at that moment the heat vent gets blocked and I can feel the temperature increase. It also happens sometimes when the CPU needs to work hard for extended periods of time. I'm a bit disappointed and surprised, because I haven't had this problem with TP's for a long time.

Options

12 Posts

07-20-2018

US

18 Signins

104 Page Views

• Views: 104
  • Message 147 of 153

2020-07-26, 23:39 PM

I, too, think it has something to do with the heat.  When I first got the laptop, everything worked perfectly.  As time passed, the laptop kept running hotter - so hot that I cannot hold it on my lap, mainly at the upper side, near the hinge.  If I unplug the laptop, it seems to cool a tiny bit.  The trackpoint drift is making me insane and I sometimes have to stop working for a minute or two.  My index finger has a dent from pushing the pointer around.  I've tried turning on the touch pad and working with it but too frustrating.  

After all of these years with the trackpoint drift problem, one would think Lenovo would have solved the problem but nothing.  Super disappointing.  I am getting near buying a newer laptop and seriously considering something other than Lenovo.

Options

118 Posts

02-03-2008

RTP, NC

155 Signins

1454 Page Views

• Message 148 of 153

2020-07-27, 0:16 AM
I have and thought I posted how hot some of the areas around the TP get when the lid is closed and the machine is running especially if it is folding. I recommend If you have not use Lenovo Vantage to apply all of the BIOS and firmware updates from Lenovo. I noticed the last update the thermals lowered as I use Intel’s Extreme Tuning utility to see the thermals vs the Onboard thermals. I believe it is a combo of thinness, the key positioning as discussed above, thermals and Software drivers from the TP vendors. I say the latter bc they have to comply with MS controls now which don’t hold a candle to the Synaptics of earlier TPs. I also noticed Lenovo using a different supplier on some models. When mine gets bad, I usually remove the cover and then gently reinstall it. That seems to help sometimes. Overall frustrating!!!! Stay safe, stay alive!!
Options

2 Posts

09-02-2020

RO

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 149 of 153

2020-09-08, 22:15 PM

I have the same issue with a T460p, but i noticed something. Touching the keys G, H or B, may start or stop the drifting. That is because the keys touches the red nipple disturbing it.

So either changing the nipple with a little smaller one or sanding the nipple or sanding the keys should help.

I don't know if this is the same issue at your computers, neither if i will change the nipple will eliminate completely the drifting problem, but those 3 keys touching it's a real issue wich should be solved first, at least on my machine.

I hope that will help at least someone. Please give some feedback, i'm curious if that will solve the problem completely.

Sorry for my poor and bad english.

Options

118 Posts

02-03-2008

RTP, NC

155 Signins

1454 Page Views

• Message 150 of 153

2020-09-09, 9:22 AM

Yes, this could be related. The manufacturing tolerances may be too tight in those spaces. It is clear TP drift is still occurring on various models.  My X1E1 Gen 1 still has TP drift ~ weekly. Thanks for reporting.  This option may be another way to tackle the issue(s).   

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete