Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 481
Message 21 of 63

Re: Trackpoint Drifting X1 Carbon gen 6

@Twang1337 wrote:

Could anyone who uses trackpoint regularly on the X1C Gen 6 comment if they do vs don't get drifting?
It's quite annoying. Sometimes it doesn't drift for many hours. Then other times i'll drift once every 5-6 minutes...

My main machine is an X1C6. I use the TrackPoint 99% of the time, and there is no drifting. I used a different X1C6 for a couple of months, and that didn't show TrackPoint drift either. Sorry I can't help.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
protonot
SCSI Port
Views: 479
Message 22 of 63

I can describe again my issue with some extra info.

First, the drifting due to normal recalibration is not the issue I am describing. Normal recalibration can happen when the device needs to reset its zero point, and this can happen after a prolonged new stationary position (or measurements in the sensors). If this happens by chance during normal use, then when the finger is removed from the tip then the pointer will drift for a bit. This normally does not last for more than 3 seconds. This can also happen when one first opens the amchine as the new stationary position can be slightly different. In yoga it can appear even after a change in use mode (like tablet, laptop, tent). I am not sure if this is normal or because of another bug in the yogas.

Second, the issue I am facing. At some point during normal use, the mouse pointer starts drifting slowly. If I do not let it rest, then it wont stop drifting. If i let it rest for exactly 5 seconds then it will stop drifting. However, I need to let it rest in the new position, with the pointer still for an additional 5 seconds. Otherwise, the drifitng will start again. So, this behavior can be triggered with some soft touches to the trackpoint and not because of a constant pressure which could be perceived as a new stationary position. So, it is definetely a bug or a sensor/hardware issue. It could be due to firmware or drivers, or some strange settings about the sensitivity and the parameters of the recalibration algorithm. Indeed, though it appears a bit randomly and it can appear in bursts of higher frequency. I am not sure this has to do because we normally adopt a specific behavior at some workflows or because other factors (e.g. temperature, motion, plastic trackpoint cap maintains some elastic force, or because of some corruption of the algorithm and its values as it runs for longer over time). A serious and verified error is that recalibration can happen while one uses the scroll middle button. This is plainly stupid and unacceptable. When buttons are pressed recalibration should never happen. It is very natural for one to exert a constant force while scrolling down for many seconds.

Third, there is another way the drifting can appear. This can be triggered in a similar way, but this time the drifting is extremely slow and jittery, but this takes much more time to stop and more time required for rest before it can not be retriggered.

I hope the engineers will soon sort this out. It s been going on for years and it is very problematic. The interaction with the machine should be fluent, smooth, and instictive, otherwise it messes up with productivity. Lenovo at some point should respect its inheritance and improve only what needs improvement, keeping well designed and well functioning principles intact.

protonot
SCSI Port
Views: 475
Message 23 of 63

interesting - could it be different hardware? keyboards are made from different companies
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 457
Message 24 of 63

@protonot wrote:
interesting - could it be different hardware? keyboards are made from different companies

There are different vendors even for the trackpoint, but looking at the one Reddit post where someone discussed that, the vendor that didn't give drift problems was exactly the one that gives me drift problems. 

Twang1337
Serial Port
Views: 447
Message 25 of 63

Very interesting.

Sounds like there are at least some people not affected.

The problem i have is beyond just simple calibration which i am used to after having used thinkpads for the last 20 years. 

It skids accross half the screen and won't stop until i completely let it go and let let rest for awhile.

jackzh2011
SCSI Port
Views: 420
Message 26 of 63

Can any mod or staff from Lenovo please provide some update on whether a solution is being worked on? Thanks so much!

chivitli
Fanfold Paper
Views: 404
Message 27 of 63

I have exactly the same issue. Very often when I use the trackpoint cursor starts to drift, the touchpad becomes unresponsive and I have to wait ~10 seconds before I can use the touchpad/trackpoint again. It came to the point that I am avoiding using the trackpoint... I hope we'll get an update soon from Lenovo on this, my productivity with touchpad only is much lower :/

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 392
Message 28 of 63

@jackzh2011 wrote:

Can any mod or staff from Lenovo please provide some update on whether a solution is being worked on? Thanks so much!

This is the latest:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-erratic-trackpoint-Synaptics-19-3-4-99/m-p...

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
bsautermeister
What's DOS?
Views: 365
Message 29 of 63

At least that's good news, because it sounds like they are aware of it and are working something.

Just for reference: I had an X220 before for 7 years before my X1 6th Gen, and because of it's super tiny touchpad, I was using the trackpoint 100%. And never had issues with it. Drifting only happend maybe less then 5 times per month.
Deactivating the trackpoint is no option for me, because I already deactivated the touchpad (because I simply dislike them, because "supid me" is triggering some clicks on it from time to time while typing. I'm really dependent on the trackpoint. And I don't want to carry a dedicated mouse everywhere ;-)
Twang1337
Serial Port
Views: 361
Message 30 of 63

The original post is about a month old..  Surely there must be an update now for the flagship laptop... 

Top Kudoed Authors