Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 277
Message 51 of 63

Re: Trackpoint Drifting X1 Carbon gen 6

@bananaman wrote:

A new X1 Carbon 6th TrackPoint firmware version today "Fixed an issue where TrackPoint drift long time intermittently":

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

First off, the trackpoint firmware update for the X1 Yoga 3rd gen mentioned exactly this fix (see this post), so can we acknowledge that at least Synaptics seems to think that both systems share the same trackpoint problem? It would be nice if the Yoga thread could get more attention from mods/Lenovo.

And second, if this fix is the same as for the X1 Yoga, you might still see drift happening after installing it. The drift time has reduced for me (3-4 seconds rather than 8) on my X1Y3, but others in the Yoga thread report different results. Nobody says it fixes it to the point where performance matches older Thinkpads. There's still something not quite up to snuff about the hardware or the firmware even with this update. 

samuelrmlong
Paper Tape
Views: 271
Message 52 of 63

If you're not a die hard trackpoint user, try disabling it. That fixed my issue. I am a mousepad guy so it doesn't bother me. Good luck! 

bart11
Paper Tape
Views: 238
Message 53 of 63

I will let you guys know. I have the KH20. I first tried the Lenovo Vantage app - it doesn't show up there yet. So I just downloaded the fix directly. It instructed me to plug in the power adapter so it's some kind of low level hardware flash. This thing was driving me up the wall, but I guess I'll find out in an day or two if it worked ...

j0rd_rox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 208
Message 54 of 63

Problem for me, as I only use trackpoint and never a mouse or the touchpad. Make this laptop emensly frustrating to use.

As I try and reach for submit button after typing this, I'm fighting against drift. 

bart11
Paper Tape
Views: 194
Message 55 of 63

Bad news ... it's still drifting :-(
alteriks
Paper Tape
Views: 176
Message 56 of 63

I've updated to 1.0.0.3 firmware yesterday, so far after 10h of work haven't seen any symptoms of drifting!

FAngelov
What's DOS?
Views: 130
Message 57 of 63

After installing the firmware it is even worse. I am having a problem with drifting and clicking of the touchpad. It is not precise, it clicks randomly on its own and open/closes programs. For example i would click the x button to close a window and instead it will open the windows start menu, or it will act like if i am using three finger motion, or it will just move around.

BoxingCactuar
Punch Card
Views: 123
Message 58 of 63

I updated the firmware about 2 days ago. Unfortunately I have seen one case of the drift since then. It dissappeared after about 10-15 seconds of trying to put the cursor to the top left.

Happy to help however I can?

Lime99
Paper Tape
Views: 105
Message 59 of 63

I really think it's a hardware/physical quality design defect. Might as well switch to a MacBook Air if I'm forced to use the trackpad.

sjol
What's DOS?
Views: 102
Message 60 of 63

I'm getting this impression as well-- that it is a problem that cannot be fixed via software.  This could be a problem inherent to the hardware design.  The question is why does Lenovo continue to use the same trackpoint hardware for several generations of the Carbon (in this case) instead of correcting the design.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors