Message 61 of 79

Re: Trackpoint Drifting X1 Carbon gen 6

Because it's Lenovo...
bart11
Paper Tape
Views: 940
Message 62 of 79

It's looking like a hardware issue. And I really thought they had fixed it. I've been using Thinkpads since 25 years (yes I'm that old). Initially this was a fairly common problem, but with the last couple of generations it seemed they got it under control. And now it's back! How is that possible? I've been loyal to Thinkpad all those years because of the trackpoint. But now I'm getting more and more used to using a trackpad (not by choice). And since Lenovo never has had the best displays or battery life I'm seriously considering jumping ship. It's just not worth it anymore.
Lime99
Paper Tape
Views: 928
Message 63 of 79

Lenovo has been behind the competition forever, especially with quality. The only reason they're around is because they bought the ThinkPad business from IBM. If it weren't for that, they'd only be known for what they are: a Chinese budget PC manufacturer with low standards and horrible service.

bsautermeister
What's DOS?
Views: 830
Message 64 of 79

As mentioned on page 2 of this thread, I am (hopefully was) also suffering from quite heavy drifting. It drifted only for a very short time on my X1 6th, but it happend quite frequently (multiple times per hour).

I just installed the new 1.0.0.3 firmware, which should address this problem according to the provided README.

My first impression (after just about 2 hours after the installation):

- no single drift at all so far! Smiley Happy

- the usage of the trackpoint feeld a bit smoother so far (Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04)

Will give more feedback, in case I will suffer from more drifting the next days...

EDIT:

Today at work, I put away my mouse (which I usually used the last month because of the drifting trackpoint), and forced myself to use the trackpoint the whole 8 hours today. And I can tell I only had exactly two drifts within this period. But please read the subsequent post about problems with this firmware first, before installing it!

SeniorGuru
Views: 807
Message 65 of 79

@bsautermeister wrote:

I just installed the new 1.0.0.3 firmware, which should address this problem according to the provided README..

It's great to hear that the TrackPoint firmware v1.0.0.3 worked in your case.

However it's important to note that some of us have not been so fortunate. That update failed to install and as a result our X1C6 (and apparently other models of this generation) TrackPoints no longer function at all.

My advice to anyone contemplating installing this firmware is to read X1 Carbon 6th Gen: Synaptics Touchpad Firmware Update broke Touchpad and Trackpoint and to hold off installing it until we know more about how this issue occurs and what we can do to avoid it.

Paper Tape
Views: 504
Message 66 of 79

Anyone find a real solution for this yet? I've had the problem since day 1. Sent in my laptop twice to be fixed, they changed the touchpad, changed the motherboard, problem hasn't been fixed. 

I downloaded the driver update, didn't work. Is this something I just have to live with?

As I'm typing this, my mouse drifts...you done yet mouse? 

Lore5
Blue Screen Again
Views: 486
Message 67 of 79

If I shut down completely and start the computer the next morning, I seem to have more problems than usual with the drift.  If I put the computer to sleep - not so much.  Very annoying.

Twang1337
Serial Port
Views: 401
Message 68 of 79

Just an update

I had lenovo replace the keyboard assembly (which has the trackpoint obviously)

same problem exists.

However i find the the drifing is much much worse when the thinkpad is warm (either enviromental OR high CPU usage)

Thoughts lenovo?

skywalkr
Punch Card
Views: 152
Message 69 of 79

Got my X1E in Feb 19 and been fighting with this awful trackpoint drifting issue being reported here and elsewhere.   I've been using Trackpoints for 25 years and I understand it's recalibrating.  I've never seen it this bad.  It will scroll all the way across the screen and then some.  It is much worse when I use the trackpoint scrolling features by holding down the mouse button and applying pressure to the trackpoint which is typically higher than normal mousing.  I've adjusted settings to no avail and have it set for a very light touch and fast speeds which I've used on prior thinkapds and trackpoint keyboards for years. 

I just applied the latest BIOS, FW and other updates last night to the X1E.  Once of these is specifically for trackpoint drift and it's still not good.  It might drift 1/2 way across the screen now vs. all the way so I cannot say it is as bad but it still drifts way to long and way too often. 

This is the update which is suppose to address (or help with the excessive X1E drifting/calibration) 

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

Lenovo and Synaptics needs to fix this in the firmware / drivers ASAP.  I read artciles where people were returning these machines 3+ times trying to get a "good" one and many times it was because of trackpoint and keyboard issues.   I've been using Thinkpads for 25+ years.  I upgraded to the X1E from the W520 and so far this is the only thing that I am disaapointed in.   Lenovo support, please keep focused on this issues.. It's not fixed.    Thanks, G. Mobley

protonot
SCSI Port
Views: 93
Message 70 of 79

"thoughts Lenovo" !!!! LMAO !! what exactly do you expect? them to take your feedback into consideration?? It is nice to see people still keep the hope alive. Maybe when our model gets 4 generations behind they might respond to us. I cannot restrain my frustration when I see this issue appears as well on the X1E !!! I am happy my X1T does not have the issue, but I am wasting 1000 usd by selling my X1Y 3rd gen which I cannot work with because of this unbelievable issue. A big company should sue Lenovo and get a generous compensation. Maybe then they would start respecting their faithful customers and their responsibility to provide machines that function as described.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors