Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryushin
Punch Card
Views: 302
Message 1 of 9

Trackpoint Sensitivity Option MIA

Today my wife said she is hating trackpoint her X1 Gen 4 as she has been having problems scrolling with it.  We have both been using Thinkpads for the last 22 years so this came as quite a surprise to hear.

So digging into it, it seems the sensitivity option is totally missing in the drives since around 2015/2016.  I've only been using Linux on my P70 and it has a mind boggling number of settings I can adjust the trackpoint with.  My wifes X1 Gen 4.... Only one setting, speed.

So maybe the problem is the hardware I thought.  So booting up a live Linux USB stick, I proceeded to find all the options for setting the trackpoint as I have on my P70.  So the issue is the driver in windows.

Found a few threads on Lenovo's forums and the thinkpads.com forums as well.

So I consider this a software defect with the drive.  And because my wife is not happy, I am not happy.  Lenovo, you have some stalwart Thinkpad fans and a lot of them buy Thinkpads for one reason, the trackpoint.  Please fix the UltraNav driver to include more configuration for the Trackpoint.  You provide a bunch of options for the touchpad, but only one option for the Trackpoint.

Also, ad an option to turn the the touchpad into just a one finger scroll.  I've had to enable the touchpad again in my wife's X1 in order to use the touchpad just for scrolling. 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 256
Message 2 of 9

Re:

Hi Ryushin!

Welcome to the Community Forums!

I have done some research and have found that the Sensitivity options for the trackpoint can be enabled by editing the registry.

Here's the value that needs to be changed 
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\StickPS2TM1611\TouchThreshold

Value: 0x00000000

(note to backup the registry first then restart the computer & observe):

As for adding an option for the touchpad one finger scrolling
I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the touchpad settings to single finger on your system.

Step 1: Update your Synaptic driver to the latest version. If the Synaptic touchpad driver isn’t installed, please the manufacturer website and download the drive and install it. You might be asked to restart your PC to complete the driver installation.

Step 2: Once installed, type Change Mouse Settings on Search bar, change the Search filter to Settings to see the Mouse settings entry in search result, and then press enter key to open Mouse Properties dialog.

Step 3: Here, switch to the Device Settings tab. Please note that Device Settings tab appears only if the touchpad driver is installed on your PC.

Step 4: Under Devices, select Synaptic Touchpad and then click Settings to open Properties for Synaptic Touchpad.

Step 5: On the left-side, expand MultiFinger Gestures, check Two-Finger Scrolling option and then click Apply button. That’s it!

NOTE: To change the default behavior of two-finger scrolling, select Two-Finger Scrolling option and then click the Settings icon next to it.

Let us know if this works out. Thanks.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Ryushin
Punch Card
Views: 244
Message 3 of 9

Re: Re:

Thank you for the reply and I appreciate the help.  I saw the registry setting in other threads and I have StickPSTTM3144-2 in my registry and I changed it from 4 to 0 before and it did not make difference that I can tell.

Compared to the options available under Linux to control the trackpoint, and the neutering of the trackpoint under the windows Lenovo driver, something really needs to be done.  There is a whole bunch of options for the trackpad, but only one for the trackpoint.

Lenovo really needs to fix the driver.  Others are having this issue as well and with no solution other then running Linux, which my wife really would not want to do.

Ryushin
Punch Card
Views: 203
Message 4 of 9

I booted up my P70 under the windows partition (only go in there couple times a year) and the behavior is the same as the X1.  No sensitivity.  Registry setting does not seem do anything as some others have posted.  From what I understand, the registry setting only works for certain Thinkpads.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 190
Message 5 of 9

Hi! Could you try downloading the touchpad from this link: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/sk/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-... the issue persist, try the steps here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht075464.
Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Ryushin
Punch Card
Views: 181
Message 6 of 9

Hi Jwes,

I've tried installing a couple of versions of the UltraNav software.  Neither one had a Sensitivity setting for the Trackpoint.  Can you recommend an older version for the X1 Gen 4 that still had the Sensitivity option.

BTW, Linux has the following settings to control the Trackpoint:

# Default as of kernel 2.6.29
# sensitivity   Integer         128     Sensitivity
# speed         Integer         97      Cursor speed
# inertia       Integer         6       Described as "negative inertia." It acts more like friction.
#                                       High values cause the cursor to snap backward when the Trackpoint is released
# reach         Integer         10      Backup for Z-axis press
# draghys       Integer         255     Drag hysteresis (how hard it is to drag with Z-axis pressed)
# mindrag       Integer         20      Minimum amount of force needed to trigger dragging
# thresh        Integer         8       Minimum value for a Z-axis press
# upthresh      Integer         255     Used to generate a 'click' on Z-axis
# ztime         Integer         38      How sharp of a press
# jenks         Integer         135     Minimum curvature for double click
# press_to_select       Boolean         0       Press to select
# skipback      Boolean         0       Supress movement after drag release

Linux has has good support for the blue scroll button to also act a middle mouse button.

I think the bottom line is that Lenovo has to totally over haul their trackpoint driver's settings.

Ryushin
Punch Card
Views: 154
Message 7 of 9

Does anyone know how to actually report this as an issue? Do I open a issue ticket with Lenovo?
Michele-74
What's DOS?
Views: 107
Message 8 of 9

The only solution to get back all the settings is to install non lenovo drivers. Here how I did:

-download hp elite SP92533.exe, run it but don't install. It will make a folder with the drivers.

-get off internet

-in device manager uninstall the touchpad (click remove software) and reboot

-in device manager go to the mouse, update driver, find software in pc, choose driver from pc, have disk, point to the hp driver folder. Choose one of the several options, not the HID one and reboot

-Now you have back all the synaptics settings, enjoy

-When you connect to internet again windows will eventually install the original driver, reboot and from device manager roll back the driver, reboot.

done

Ryushin
Punch Card
Views: 66
Message 9 of 9

Installing the HP drivers worked wonderfully.  Wife is now happy again.

However, I cannot accept that as a solution as it is a very sad day when I have to install a HP driver to fix something that was originaly in the Lenovo/IBM driver to begin with.

So how do I go about escalating this to Lenovo to mark this a bug in their driver.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors