Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
somchaisis
Paper Tape
Views: 10,330
Message 1 of 17

Trackpoint "too slow" proglem of X1 Carbon Gen 2

I just start using X1 Carbon Gen 2 and find that the Trackpoint is way too slow.  I have used Trackpoint for more than 10 years in various models of Thinkpad and get use to Trackpoint.  Every model of Thinkpad that I used, the default setting of Trackpoint which is in the middle, is too slow but after adjust to fastest, it work fine.  However, for this X1 Cargon Gen 2, it is still too slow after adjusting the speed to fastest.

I have updated the device driver few days ago, it does not help.

Any suggestion?

cal3713
Punch Card
Views: 10,283
Message 2 of 17

Re: Trackpoint "too slow" proglem of X1 Carbon Gen 2

Same problem on the x240.  I set the trackpoint speed to max, mouse speed to max, and turned off the "enhance cursor precision" option (which also slows the cursor), and still feel like I'm effortfully pushing the cursor around the screen with the trackpoint.  It's completely unacceptable and basically ruins the trackpoint for me. 

Last night I got on my old x201 and it was like a breath of fresh air... just tap the trackpoint and it immediately goes where I want.  The constant pressure on the trackpoint of my x240 is also making it lose it's inertia settings so that it frequently just drifts uncontrollably up or down the screen.

Perhaps there's a registry setting to increase it's sensitivity?

It's just terrible what they did to the trackpoint on this generation.  I can partially live with the virtual buttons, but the loss of sensitivity and the removal of the press-to-select function of the trackpoint are terribly dissapointing in the new X series.  They should take the red-dot off of the lenovo marketing.

somchaisis
Paper Tape
Views: 10,265
Message 3 of 17

Glad to know that some one has the same problem.

I used X300, then X1 and now X1 Carbon Gen 2 which trackpoint worked well on those models and trackpoint is one of the main reason I use Thinkpad.

List of frustrations : 

- Trackpoint is too hard, too slow

- Changing from physical to touch on left and right mouse click

- Keyboard layout change (again)

- Adapter plug change (again)

Many users continue to use Thinkpad because fo trackpoint, hope Lenovo know their advantage and quickly come out with new driver for Trackpoint.

cal3713
Punch Card
Views: 10,251
Message 4 of 17

There is a "sensitivity" option in the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Lenovo/TrackPoint/Settings), but unfortunately it doesn't appear to do much.  It's at 4 in my settings and I've tried moving it to 1 and 5, but didn't see any change in trackpoint behavior.  Also, it has a tantalizing EnablePress entry that presumably enables clicking with the trackpoint itself, but that also appears to have no effect.

Also, as a caveat, I've got an external usb keyboard with trackpoint as well, so there's some small chance that these options refer to that device instead of the one on the laptop itself. 

cal3713
Punch Card
Views: 10,211
Message 5 of 17

I struggled to understand everything at first, but the program made by "Mark C" to change windows mouse sensitivity curves actually works very well.  

You can download it here:

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

What I ended up doing was running his visual basic program (MarkC_Windows_8+7+Vista+XP_MouseFix_Builder.vbs) with the following options:

Mouse speed:  6 (moved to 11, or max, in the mouse options after reboot)

Acceleration type:  2

Mouse sensitivity: 6.5

Acceleration threshold 1:  2 (sensitivty = 10)

Acceleration threshold 2:  3 (sensitivity = 16)

That gave me a mouse that at least approximates the normal speed of the old trackpoint.  Still not perfect, but much better.

- Chris

somchaisis
Paper Tape
Views: 10,198
Message 6 of 17

How to include options you have mentioned into MarkC Fix?

Do I have to edit the registry?

Thank you.

Somchaisis

cal3713
Punch Card
Views: 10,177
Message 7 of 17

Yes and no.  The vbs executable I referenced asks you to input each of the options that I listed and then automatically edits the registry for you.  So, yes, the registry gets edited, but no, you don't have to do it yourself.  Do note that you have to log out and then log back in for them to take effect.

TK510
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,114
Message 8 of 17

I’m currently with TP Yoga for 7 months (and many TPs for decades) and have thought of the same issue recently Smiley Frustrated

Today I’ve tried to roll back to 17.0.9.9 (gqgx08ww) UltraNav driver, downloaded from somewhere (I couldn’t locate it on Lenovo.com) which I believe was original driver when TP Yoga launched, and found out it’s MUCH better than 18.0.7.40 for me. 

cal3713
Punch Card
Views: 10,069
Message 9 of 17

I just discovered that I'd left the "enhance mouse precision" option off while inputting the above settings.  With that on, the mouse is actually way too fast.  With that option selected, I'm currently using the followings settings and they work pretty well.

Mouse speed:  6 

Acceleration type:  2

Mouse sensitivity: 1-to-1

Acceleration threshold 1:  2 (sensitivty = 2)

Acceleration threshold 2:  3 (sensitivity = 4)

aaronjg
What's DOS?
Views: 8,850
Message 10 of 17

I had this problem too, but was able to solve it by installing the older driver from here:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds031964

Which has an option to adjust trackpoint sensitivity. You have to do it from device manager, using the 'have disk' option.

Then installing tpmiddle to get middle button functionality back.

http://users.v-lo.krakow.pl/~mwrobel/programs/tpmiddle.html

You likely will not have support for newer features of the touchpad with this driver though, so if you use both this solution won't be for you. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors