Options

0 Posts

02-02-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 4

Trying to update X1C7 BIOS doesn't seem to work.

2020-02-02, 19:14 PM

I am trying to flash a new bios to my Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7 to change the default boot logo. I have already changed the logo before, but I want to change it again. When I changed it the first time I was dual booting Ubuntu 19.10 and Windows 10, and I went through these steps to flash the bios containing the new boot logo.:

1. Download bootable ISO for my device from pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-carbon-7th-gen-type-20qd-20qe/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS%2FUEFI
  2. Use geteltorito to extract the iso into a bootable .img file.
  3. Flash the .img to a usb flash drive using Balena Etcher
  4. Mount the usb drive to my machine and add custom LOGO.gif to the correct folder
  5. Unmount usb drive, shutdown, and boot to usb drive
  6. Follow steps that appear to flash bios
  7. Let the system reboot, and then it boots into a text interface showing the progress of the bios update that looks like this: (I attached the image to the post)
  8. Then tada my boot logo had changed, but when I try to do this now I have a few issues

First of all, I am now exclusively on Arch Linux, not dual booting with Windows or anything. One issue is that when trying to flash the .img file to the usb drive with balena etcher it says there is something wrong with the .img file, and I have tried redownloading the iso and reextracting it, but it still fails with the same error. I get around this by using the command sudo dd if=/path/to/bios.img of=/dev/sdX bs=64K. This flashes the bios update utility to the usb stick with no issue.

I then proceed to mount the usb drive to my system and add the LOGO.gif file to the Flash folder on the usb stick. Then I boot into the usb stick and go through the process of updating the bios, and the bios update utility recognizes the image and I select to install it. But the main issue is when it says it has finished installing and will continue to install on next boot. It reboots into a black screen for a minute or two and then boots back into my operating system without the boot logo being changed. The flash utility like in the picture above never appears.

I do have secure rollback prevention turned off in my UEFI/BIOS settings, so that is not the issue. Why is the flash utility not appearing like in the picture above, is it part of Windows or is something going wrong with the install? Why does balena etcher say there is an issue with the image but dd writes it just fine? I am completely perplexed by this, and would love to have help with it. Thanks.

Options

8058 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77116 Signins

2180534 Page Views

• Views: 2180534
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Trying to update X1C7 BIOS doesn't seem to work.

2020-02-02, 21:00 PM

Hello and welcome,

I have no idea if it would make any difference but it might be worth using the "sanctioned' method for making a bootable BIOS flash drive:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linux-Discussions/Update-ThinkPad-BIOS-with-bootable-flash-drive/ta-p/3743440

It does require a Windows machine or VM.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

0 Posts

02-02-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: Trying to update X1C7 BIOS doesn't seem to work.

2020-02-02, 21:52 PM

Thanks for the reply, but it did not work. It did the same exact thing I described in my post. It went through the update process then rebooted into a black screen for a bit, and then rebooted with the same boot logo.

Options

2 Posts

04-30-2020

US

7 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 4 of 4

Re:Trying to update X1C7 BIOS doesn't seem to work.

2020-08-01, 9:01 AM

Hi DaveB21,

I have the same issues. I also have a X1C7. At the beginning I could change my boot logo. I changed it to the Arch Linux logo. I wanted to be cool ;) 
Then after a little while I thought, it might be not a good idea, especially if I want to resell the laptop in the future. So I wanted to restore the default boot logo. Every attempt since then to restore the default boot logo or apply a new custom logo has failed.

First I thought, it may be a bug of the current bios version or the current bios update utility. So I started to roll back the bios version by version. It did not help. After flashing the same boot logo appears over and over again. If I flash the bios without a custom boot logo, the flash utility asks me If want to restore the default logo, but that does not work. If I flash the bios with a custom logo, the flash utility recognizes it and asks me to apply the new custom logo, but that does not work either.

I also installed Windows 10 and tried it with the utility for Windows. But no luck.

I very like the Lenovo company and its products. But this drives me a little crazy. And it shows me that the support from the company is not as good as I thought. It seems like they do not test this feature on their products.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete