Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shermoid
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,338
Message 1 of 36

Turn Off X1 Extreme Throttling When Running on Battery

Hello,

Before writing this message, I have combed through many articles and forum posting but couldn't find anything that helped.

When I benchmark the machine running on AC, it performs as expected. When I run the same tests on battery, the performance is horrible - about 1/3 of the performance compared to AC.

I have already checked all my OS power management profiles, to ensure that the scheme used for battery is the same on AC; I made sure the slider on on the battery icon is all the way to the right (Best Performance); I've gone into BIOS to set Maximum Performance for CPU speed stepping as well as Thermal Management Scheme. No matter what I do, I can't get it to run at full performance on battery.

All I'm trying to achieve is have the laptop run as fast on battery as on AC, with the obvious expectation that the battery will drain fast (which is fine).

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sherman

kayak83
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,307
Message 2 of 36

Re: Turn Off X1 Extreme Throttling When Running on Battery

You could install ThrottleStop and customize the performance. 

shermoid
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,296
Message 3 of 36

Thanks for your reply. So is this throttling cannot be changed by any built-in means (such as windows or BIOS)? Is this by design, that it cannot be changed?
kayak83
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,284
Message 4 of 36

Seems like stange behavior. The battery performance slider works well for me and I can defitely tell when I have it too low. Are you sure it's not working at intended by running apps and watching HWmonitor for CPU frequencies or something? Also, be sure to check any performance settings that the Lenovo Vantage app might be overrighting. Seems the built-in windows feature and Vantage might disagree with eachother. 

shermoid
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,276
Message 5 of 36

On battery power, the slider is very strange. If i set it to "best performance", it actually performs about 50% WORSE than at "better battery" (second from lowest setting) - this is opposite of what I would expect. During the CPU benchmark on battery power, I can see the CPU frequencies fluctuate on HWmonitor between 800 - 2800. This differs when I have it on AC, which is at a constant ~3900 during the CPU test. On Lenovo Vantage, the only setting that I can see related would be the intelligent cooling, which I have disabled, as per many recommendations.

Are you getting the same benchmarks on battery, at "best performance", as compared to AC-power?
kayak83
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,258
Message 6 of 36

No problems here. "Best Performance" on the battery icon gives me 4.1Ghz as expected (on my i7). I have Vantage set to "optimize system for performance" but intelligent cooling off. It's a confusing app.

shermoid
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,254
Message 7 of 36

Wow.. and this is running just on battery power right? OK, so something about my configuration must be different than yours.

What do you have set for your BIOS under CPU Speed Stepping and Thermal Management Scheme? I've set both to Max Performance under battery power but it really has no effect whatsoever.

How about Windows Power Scheme? Do you just have the default "balanced" or created your own scheme?

Thanks for the help.
kayak83
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,247
Message 8 of 36

I use the balanced power pan, basically just changed the screen on/off time. Didn't change anyting in BIOS.

Try throttlestop. It's a massive help with getting exactly what you want. Especially the SST setting which make the CPU speeds much more aggressive if you want that. See if that help. But It's VERY weird that the max setting for you is actually the worst...something is not right.

Clipboard03.jpg 

Clipboard02.jpgClipboard01.jpg 

shermoid
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,235
Message 9 of 36

I'll give throttlestop a try later tonight as well as factor in all the other info you gave me. Just one more question for now - I know you didn't tweak with BIOS, but just curious, what version are you on? I updated to the latest 1.17.. Wonder if it's a BIOS-specific problem. Again, thanks for all the help. It's greatly appreciated. 

kayak83
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,230
Message 10 of 36

On the latest BIOS (1.17) and haven't changed any settings as far as I know.

IMG_20190116_183930.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors