Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaddyColeman
Paper Tape
Views: 5,415
Message 1 of 26

URGENT: Synaptics UltraNav driver problem on Windows 7/X121e

Hi Folks,

My X121e has been working fine for almost a year but the other evening I ran "Update and Drivers".  One of the new drivers was the UltraNav version 16.1.1.0 which I duly downloaded and installed.  After rebooting I found that the TrackPoint worked fine but the TrackPad did not.

I checked the settings and the TouchPad is enabled and it even works at the Windows 7 login screen and for a while after that (I assume the UltraNav driver gets loaded at some point and then it stops working?).

I removed the new driver and Windows installed version 15.3.34.0 but I still get the same problem.

Could someone please tell me how to resolve this?

Many thanks

Paddy

grelaford
Paper Tape
Views: 5,383
Message 2 of 26

Re: URGENT: Synaptics UltraNav driver problem on Windows 7/X121e

I ran into the same issue with an X130e unit, getting ready for imaging.  A clean install of Win 7 Pro 64 bit, no Lenovo trackpad drivers or UltraNav and it worked great.  Installed the latest UltraNav and After a couple of reboots I got the same issue.  Before logging on the trackpad worked, afterwards only the trackpad buttons functioned.  The removal of the UltraNav altogether fixed it.  

May be a 64 bit issue...?  I may be doing a 32 bit install on the same unit, to troubleshoot a seperate isue....if that seems to make the trackpad issue dissappear, I'll let you know.  

PaddyColeman
Paper Tape
Views: 5,381
Message 3 of 26

Hi Grelaford,

My X121e is running 64 bit Windows 7 - came pre-installed on the machine.  This is very infuriating as there seems no logic to it.  It is obviously not a hardware problem as the trackpad works fine until the UltraNav software is loaded.

I have tried removing the UltraNav driver (is that what you mean?) but although it worked for a short while, once Windows installed the driver it stopped again.

Argh!!!

Paddy

grelaford
Paper Tape
Views: 5,365
Message 4 of 26

It is what I meant...the UltraNav seemed to have an issue of some sort.  I also (moments ago) had a hard cursor drift to the left.  This is with UltraNav driver and software removed, but Windows driver running the trackpad.  Usually drift is a hardware thing, but this went away all by itself magically after several minutes.  

Over the weekend Lenovo did work on their support sites....for all I know they mixed up drivers on us.  Unlikely Smiley Wink

I have the luxury (site license) to switch to 32 bit if I want too.  Still, it should 'just work' with the OS they shipped with.  

grelaford
Paper Tape
Views: 5,343
Message 5 of 26

I found, along with troubleshooting by my reseller and myself on seperate units other than the one with the issue....that the several issues were partly due to a lemon unit I had grabbed by chance to make the schools image from.

However, the unresponsive cursor problem was only solved, on both 32 and 64 bit, by installing the latest UltraNav drivers and software from Lenovo...then uninstalling from with the Control Panel, then rebooting.  

The trackpad works up until the various updates from within the Lenovo software updater are finished, through the first reboot.  Then it stops.  Installing UltraNav doesn't fix the issue...but the uninstall of UltraNav and reboot brought full functionality back.  

PaddyColeman
Paper Tape
Views: 5,300
Message 6 of 26

Sounds like a duff set of drivers - I will have to wait until Lenovo release another update.

Thank you for all your help.

Paddy

evil_elman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,280
Message 7 of 26

Similar problem here... (Machine type 30515RG, AMD E-350)

It can't be used to move the mouse cursor with a single finger (dragging or moving) but if you also hold one of the four tap zones (any of the corners of the touchpad) with one finger and drag elsewhere on the touchpad with another you can move the mouse cursor.

Tapping works (and tap clicks) and you can see in the various Synaptics settings dialog boxes that single finger touches are recognised (like when adjusting tap zones) but mouse pointer isn't moving.

Recently the Lenovo update manager found a new Synaptics driver (16.1.1) which was installed fine and rolling back to previous version (15.3.39.1) has no effect.

It happens on all user accounts but not on the log-on screen before the driver has loaded. Once you've logged on (and log back off again) the touchpad will not work properly in the log-on screen.

The Lenovo update manager also installed a new (and renamed) version of RapidBoot at around the same time, I've tried disabling it but no luck.

Uninstalling the touchpad driver will make it work as expected (you can use one finger but no specific Synaptics features) until it wants to automatically install the Synaptics driver again. I got it to reboot and have everything working properly one time after uninstalling the driver but on next reboot it was back to problem again.

I've tried to reset all the settings to factory defaults in the mouse settings / Synaptics settings dialogs but no help.

The machine has been working fine otherwise, no real issues anywhere, never been reset to factory defaults, no third-party drivers or hardware, always AV installed and no dodgy software.

I'm not convinced it's entirely the fault of the Synaptics driver as I'm on the previous version (and still not working). Could be a different piece of software (Patch Tuesday or Lenovo update) or the newer version of the driver doesn't uninstall properly...

Lenovo definitely need to have a look at this

Edit: 

Some more system info: 

* Windows 7 64bit (all regular patches and Windows update bits)

* Problem with both Synaptict driver versions (see above)

* The last items downloaded and installed by Lenovo Update Manager (on or around the date) are: 'ThinkVantage Active Protection System', 'Conexant Audio Driver for Windows 7 32/64bit', 'ThinkPad Power Manager', 'Windows 7 update module KB2661796 64bit' and I think I installed the new (and renamed) 'RapidBoot Shield' around the same time, but is not listed as installed.

* Can't find any references to 'UltraNav utility', but have seen it as a manual download on the support website. Is it necessary / already installed by default? Seems I haven't missed it before.

* Current BIOS: 8RET52WW (1.15) 15/11/2011 

As a side-note my Lenovo Update Manager is telling me there is a BIOS update (1.16.1.10) but always fails to download it. Could be interesting as some people have suggested the Update Manager delivering incorrect drivers or drivers for wrong machine types.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,274
Message 8 of 26

Hey guys,

I saw this thread and am interested so I upgraded my UltraNav driver to  16.1.1.0 as well and it's still working fine after the reboot.

My specs.

MTM: 4180-65A

BIOS: 1.39

UltraNav: 16.1.1.0 (Manual update from 15.2.20.0)

UltraNav Utility: 2.13

---

Which version of Windows are you guys on? Which version of UltraNav did you upgrade from? 

Thanks 

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y530 ... Feel free to highlight any post which you have posted on the forum to me if no one have chimed in.
kikker_95
Paper Tape
Views: 5,232
Message 9 of 26

Hi Folks,

My X121e is also having this problem right after I ran SystemUpdate. The mouse cursor does not respong to the touchpas any more. Only when I use more than one finget there is a brief response. As desribed before, it does work briefly after a reboot/fresh start but than after loging in it stops responding.

Rolling back has no effect, so I would like a solution too.

Thanks in advance

Specs: X121e, AMD-450e. Windows 7 64-bit. Ultranav driver is 16.1.1.0 

Highlighted
evil_elman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,191
Message 10 of 26

Since there's a Lenovo employee around I figured I should try my best to be forthcoming with information :-)

Still got the issue even after trying the following:

While on (downgraded) Synaptics Driver 15.3.39.1 I uninstalled the following software and restarted the machine after each - these were all installed by Lenovo Update Manager at or around the time of the problem:

* Uninstalled 'Windows 7 Update Module KB2661796 64bit'

* Uninstalled 'ThinkPad PowerManager Driver for Win7'

* Uninstalled 'ThinkVantage Active Protection System'

* Uninstalled 'RapidBoot Shield'

* Uninstalled 'ThinkPad PowerManager'

Rolled back 'Conexant Audio Driver' from 8.32.34.50 to 8.32.27.0

With no luck...

I then went on to uninstall Windows Updates, restarting machine after each. These were all installed on 11/07/2012 originally

* Uninstalled KB2719985, KB2719177, KB2718523, KB2691442, KB2655992, KB2698365

With no luck...

I also tried tried uninstalling the HID driver for my regular mouse and rolled back the Synaptics Diver yet again to the factory installed driver. With no luck...

After this I started installed all of the above again, restarting the machine after each to see if there was an improvement but alas no.

The weird thing is though that sometimes it does actually come to life but upon rebooting the machine it again doesn't want to work. As soon as the UltraNav icon appears in the notification area the touchpad is unresponsive to single touch mouse movements (as I mentioned in my previous post, multi touch and taps / clicks do still work).

Hope it helps someone - including me...

Top Kudoed Authors