Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RagingPigeon
Blue Screen Again
Views: 16,570
Message 1 of 7

USB 3.0 port won't recognize USB 3.0 devices

I just recently bought a USB 3.0 external HDD and now I am having issues plugging it into the USB 3.0 port on my ThinkPad x220. USB 2.0 devices work just fine in the USB 3.0 port and the two USB 2.0 ports I have work just fine as well, and the external HDD works just fine plugged into those. The external HDD also works fine on the USB 2.0 ports on my desktop, so I don't think it's an issue with the drive. When I brought up the USB 3.0 utility by Renesas, it told me it couldn't find the host controller. I just re-installed the driver, and it had the driver installed before that. Also, under the USB list in Device Manager, my laptop doesn't list the NEC controller. All I see are 2 Generic USB Hubs, 2 USB Root Hubs, a USB Composite Device, and 2 Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controllers. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any help in resolving it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I just tried unintsalling the 2 Intel Controllers and by doing so removed every USB related option from Device Manager. It appears to me that the USB 3.0 port isn't simply appearing as a USB 2.0 port on my computer, it appears as though it doesn't exist at all in Device Manager. 

Former Employee
Views: 16,497
Message 2 of 7

Re: USB 3.0 port won't recognize USB 3.0 devices

hey RagingPigeon,

try uninstalling all USB control drivers from your unit and then install this :

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS015025

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
RagingPigeon
Blue Screen Again
Views: 16,490
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the response. 

I've tried going back to older drivers, and I tried your process again as well, but I still get the same results; I do not see NEC controller in the device manager, all I see is the intel controller, and my USB 3.0 device still does not work in the USB 3.0 port. 

acloning
What's DOS?
Views: 16,191
Message 4 of 7

This is a bit old but I came across it while dealing with the exact same issue on my new Y570. Drivers on the Lenovo page for my comp didn't work same as you. Fixed mine using this driver
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS022537

Hope this helps someone
shazza
Punch Card
Views: 16,185
Message 5 of 7

I can't really sort out your issue for you, but can add that I reported a similar issue several months ago and got little response.  I also contacted both Western Digital (I'm using My Passport SE 1TB USB 3.0 drives), and Lenovo.  No real joy, as they seemed to point at each other.  I figure part of the issue is USB 3.0 is still new.

My USB 3.0 port does seem to work, and I don't have much of an issue anymore unless I use my USB 3.0 external drive on my desktop through a USB 2.0 connection.  When I go back to the X220, it sometimes isn't recognized, but repeated unplugging and replugging finally gets it working again.  A bit of a pain ...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 16,178
Message 6 of 7

@shazza wrote:

I figure part of the issue is USB 3.0 is still new.

It seems there are problems with a number of rthe chipsets used to implement USB 3.0 in various devices.  The NEC chipset used in the i7 X220 models is generally regarded as amongst  the best USB 3.0 implementations.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
olaney
What's DOS?
Views: 6,629
Message 7 of 7

Got my X220 to recognize USB 3.0 devices by flashing BIOS to the latest version.  However, sometimes I have to plug my USB 3.0 flash drive into a USB 2.0 port first, then into the 3.0 port for the computer to recognize it..  Anybody have a fix for this?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors