Options

1 Posts

01-06-2020

CA

1 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 1 of 2

USB-C to Mini Displayport? Will it power multiple displays for docking station?

2020-01-06, 21:32 PM

Unqiue situation here. Never thought upgrading my dual office monitors would result in so much grief!

Office PC is a 3rd gen X1 Carbon Thinkpad. New monitors are the Dell P2319H. 

After failing to both displays connected to an old Lenovo docking station they assumed that upgrading the docking station to the newer USB Gen 2 docking station would do the trick.

But here's the problem, the dock's only connection to the laptop is USB-C. Which does not exist on this old Thinkpad laptop. I had a USB-C to USB-A cable on me and gave it a go. It powers the docks and all the accessories but of course not the 2 additional displays. 

If I look up "recommended/compatible" docks for this laptop obviously this one is not listed. The new monitors only support HDMI, Displayport and VGA. 

Any idea if this logic would work, USB-C to Mini Displayport cable (both male ends)?

In my head it makes sense, but not sure if a single Mini Displayport port is capable of power 2 of these 1080p monitors.

Otherwise my last option is to try something another dock.

Options

459 Posts

05-02-2019

US

322 Signins

7862 Page Views

• Views: 7862
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: USB-C to Mini Displayport? Will it power multiple displays for docking station?

2020-01-07, 13:07 PM

Hi !

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums.

According to the product specification of your ThinkPad X1 Carbon 3rd Gen, you may use Mini DisplayPort to VGA for the first monitor and use HDMI for the second external display. Hence, you may consider upgrading the docking station if you're not able to use the external display using the ports from your ThinkPad X1 Carbon. Click here to find compatible docking station for your machine.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save