cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joddm
Paper Tape
Views: 1,338
Message 1 of 4

USB devices not working wih Thinkpad Ultra Docking station - possibly after BIOS update - X1 Carbon

Hi,

Thinkpad Ultra Docking Station - 40AJ0135EU

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th - 20KH006JMX

BIOS: N23E56W 1.31

Recently installed updates:

ThinkPad BIOS Update - 10 [64], version 1.31

Synaptics Touchpad Firmware Update Tool - 10 [64], version PR2698617 / PR 2812761

ThinkPad Hotkey Features Integration Package Setup - 10 [64], version 9.0.2.15

Everything was working fine before these updates, but now I can't get the wireless mouse and keyboard (usb dongle) or the usb headset to work connected to the dock. Works fine when connected directly to the X1 Carbon.

I suspect the BIOS update, anyone got any tips?

The dock is listed as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" under Windows settings. I have of course tried to uninstall/remove device and install it again, but it won't work. 

I have a colleague who also has a X1 Carbon, with recent updates and his X1 Carbon works perfectly with my dock. And similarly, my X1 Carbon works perfectly with his dock, which is a Thunderbolt 3 Dock.

Edit:

Tried to update Dock firmware with driver from

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/no/en/products/monitors-and-projectors/docks/thinkpad-ultra-docking-sta...

But problem still remains

When I try to run automatic scan for updates through Lenovo support I get the message:

"No drivers are required to update for your machine"

Have now tried to uninstall all the USB Root hubs in Device Manager and restart the computer per:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/USB-Ports-in-Docking-station-don-t-work/...

But still not working

DeathRaven
Paper Tape
Views: 793
Message 2 of 4

Re: USB devices not working wih Thinkpad Ultra Docking station - possibly after BIOS update - X1 Car

Ran into this problem yesterday AM.  I ran Vantage to get all of my drivers and firmware updated, but the problem persisted.  Then I noticed that the white 'computer' icon light next to the power button on the dock was not lit even though the PC was connected to the dock & charging (also, both display port outputs were working as was a CDRW connected via USB-C).  I shut down the machine, undocked, redocked and powered up.  This time the lighted computer icon was lit, and all of my USB devices were working again.  Looking at the dock & PC, it looks like there are 3 connectors.  I suspect that one (or more) were not completely seated.

Hopefully this helps someone.

oz841
Punch Card
Views: 735
Message 3 of 4

Re: USB devices not working wih Thinkpad Ultra Docking station - possibly after BIOS update - X1 Car

I too am having this issue wen transferring large files to my USB HDD. The UltraDock crashes, the display drops out and all USB attached devices seize to work. The white computer icon on the dock is also not lit up. A reboot of X1C6 does not alleviate the issue, nor does moving the X1C6 to another UltraDock. The only way to repair the issue is insert a paper clip into the X1C6 and reboot it.

oz841
Punch Card
Views: 711
Message 4 of 4

This seems to happen to me mostly when I am using USB bus-powered 2.5" HDDs or USB bus-powered NVMe adaptors.

Externally powered 3.5" HDD adaptors don't seems to glitch out the Ultra Docking Station even under grueling torture tests.

I suspect the ICs that drive the high-speed USB-C/A ports can't deliver the necessary power reliably. Interestingly enough the Thinkpad USB-C dock does not have this issue and comes with a 45 watt lesser of a power supply. I have tested with two different Thinkpad Ultra Docking stations and an X1C6 and X280 a laptop and the issues are repeatable,

I bet the ThinkPad USB 3.0 Secure Hard Drives would work better than 3rd party bus-powered HDDs, until then all I can reliablly use as storage is externally powered HDD enclosures and 256GB USB flash drives such as the Samsung FIT.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors