Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

02-23-2021

Australia

6 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 6

Unable to detect USB-C device in Boot Menu

2021-02-23, 2:39 AM

I have been trying to boot from my Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port on my X1 Gen 8 ThinkPad.  But the PC does not see the drive in the boot menu.  I have tried to change BIOS settings but have had no luck so far.  I guess my first question does the X1 support USB-C in the BIOS.  Any help would be appreciated.

Options

8835 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77627 Signins

2217890 Page Views

• Views: 2217890
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Unable to detect USB-C device in Boot Menu

2021-02-23, 3:05 AM

I take it this is a Carbon.  I don't have one but my X1 Yogas - gens 4 and 5 will boot from USB-C so I'd expect yours to.

What sort of external device and how was it prepared?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

1847 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

204 Signins

9556 Page Views

• Views: 9556
  • Message 3 of 6

2021-02-23, 11:07 AM

Have you tried selecting USB HDD ? or setting Network boot to USB HDD or Other HDD ? 

If it doesn't work, go to the "Security" tab, then select "Secure Boot" , set this to "Disabled" , go back to the "Startup" tab, and set "UEFI/Legacy Boot" to "Both" or "Legacy Mode"

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

3 Posts

02-23-2021

Australia

6 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-02-23, 22:44 PM

I will try these settings and get back to you. Thanks

Options

3 Posts

02-23-2021

Australia

6 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-02-23, 22:50 PM

Running a M.2 USB-C Lightning 3 device, At the moment it is just a simple drive format. which i should at least be able to see in boot menu.  I can plug in my standard USB 3 device and it shows up fine.

Options

8835 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77627 Signins

2217890 Page Views

• Views: 2217890
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-02-23, 22:59 PM

@ NickCard2010 wrote:

Running a M.2 USB-C Lightning 3 device, At the moment it is just a simple drive format. which i should at least be able to see in boot menu.  I can plug in my standard USB 3 device and it shows up fine.

What format?  NTFS or FAT32 or ???  I need to check, but it's in the back of my head that if the external isn't UEFI bootable (fat32, an efi partition or folder) it won't show up if the boot mode is UEFI.  Andy maybe not in legacy mode either if it doesn't have an active partition.

Not certain of any of that....

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms