Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alison01326
Not applicable
Views: 1,486
Message 1 of 7

Unable to install Rescue & Recovery on X201 Think Pad

I have just bought a pre-owned Think Pad X201-3680-FZ2 laptop with Windows 7 professional, and for my own peace of mind wanted to restore it to factory settings before I start using it.

There are no recovery disks so I have downloaded the Rescue & Recovery 4.52 Setup but when I run the programme it gets to a certain point and then I receive the error message Error 25014. There was an error installing the Rescue and Recovery boot manager.  Return code: 6

I have searched for a solution to this problem online, and see that I am not alone, but the responses I find either do not seem to apply to me as the other programmes mentioned are not installed, or I do not understand them.

I am not a computer expert, just a domestic / home office user, so need a solution in very easy to understand terms.  The Think Pad I have came with no instruction manuals, and as far as I can see, all the programmes installed relate to the operation of the Think Pad itself.  There does not seem to be Rescue & Recovery already installed on the ThinkPad.

Does anyone have a solution to this which they could explain to me in simple terms, please?

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 1,468
Message 2 of 7

Re: Unable to install Rescue & Recovery on X201 Think Pad

H,

is the OS Lenovo preloaded or installed from m$ media/.iso image?
Are there any partitions in the Device Disk Manager except of the system one?

---

edit: sorry for a typo

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

alison01326
Not applicable
Views: 1,458
Message 3 of 7

@x220forme wrote:
H,

is the OS Lenovo preloaded or installed from m$ media/.iso image?
Are there any partitions in Device Manager except of the system one?

Many thanks for your response.  Unfortunately I do not know the answer to the first question, as I obtained the laptop pre-owned, so everything is already on the computer and I do not know if there were any disks.  As to the second question, I don't really know what  am looking for in the device manager but cannot see any mention of partitions.

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 1,448
Message 4 of 7

Oh, sorry, I meant Disk Manager Smiley Sad, made a typo in the hurry.

As for the OS reduction - open computer properties (Win+Pause), look at the Windows Activation area at the bottom. Are there "OEM" letters within the key? What are the last 5 digits?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

alison01326
Not applicable
Views: 1,430
Message 5 of 7

@x220forme wrote:

Oh, sorry, I meant Disk Manager Smiley Sad, made a typo in the hurry.

As for the OS reduction - open computer properties (Win+Pause), look at the Windows Activation area at the bottom. Are there "OEM" letters within the key? What are the last 5 digits?

Thank you.  I have found Disk Manager and am not sure how to interpret the information. There is System Reserved 283MB NFTS (Healthy System, Active, Primary Partition) and the other is C 148.77GB NTFS (Healthy, Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition).

As to the other yes, the letters OEM are there, and the last 5 digits are 91648.

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 1,423
Message 6 of 7

What are the partitions labels?

According to the information you've provided:
1. you have fresh installed OS in OEM reduction, it's activated from the BIOS, it's not a Lenovo preloaded image
2. two recovery partitions (recovery workspace and partition for the stored image) were removed during the new OS installation.

Also, needed bootloader was removed so you are facing error regarding R&R installation. Perhaps OS was installed w/o complete drive cleaning.

Are there any archives on the drive? Try to find files with .wim extension (like sdrivebackup.wim and cdrivebackup.wim). It's the only chance previous owner saved preloaded image.

Nevertheless, don't worry, no problem to perform fresh installation

LenovT420
Not applicable
Views: 85
Message 7 of 7

Hi, I have the same problem and I have lenovo thinkpad T420.  This is also second hand and I have reinstalled the drivers for this product.  The original recovery setup is already erased which is why I am having problems recently when a virus has infected my laptop, I had to re-install everything again.  Please help in re-installing the recovery program which stops at error code 6.

Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors