cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pblack476
Blue Screen Again
Views: 813
Message 1 of 4

Union Memory M2 SSD - Regarding it's longevity and reliability.

Hi.

After getting my X1Extreme I noticed the M2 drive was Union Memory branded and since it is mostly a Chinese brand there is little info on it except for a few benchmarks that actually show it performing very similarly to Samsung drives I was expecting to get with this unit.

I am posting here to inquire about it's reliability and long term use. Would other users reccomend I switch to another brand or this drive is expected to perform just as well in the long run as a Samsung or another well knows branded one?

I have seen the single post here that mentions some of these drives failing in early life but it seemed to be due to a firmware bug that unfortunately bricked them and mine has the latest firmware from Lenovo website.

With this in mind. Should I consider a switch? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 787
Message 2 of 4

Re: Union Memory M2 SSD - Regarding it's longevity and reliability.

Hello,

The Union Memory M.2 NVMe SSD came directly from Lenovo, so it is warranted as a performant componment for the duration of the ThinkPad X1E's warranty, and guaranteed to work with features specific to your ThinkPad, such as thermal throttling and encryption.

You can definitely replace it with another part if you really want to, but unless that's a Lenovo-branded component it may not support ThinkPad=specific features and would not fall under the system's warranty.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Alto101
Punch Card
Views: 748
Message 3 of 4

I understand the new SSD would not be covered under warranty but I am very skeptical about Thinkpad specific features for SSD's.  Aren't these just generic SSD drives? Do you have any examples of this?

"but unless that's a Lenovo-branded component it may not support ThinkPad=specific features and would not fall under the system's warranty."

Pblack476
Blue Screen Again
Views: 736
Message 4 of 4

I get that it came from Lenovo. More than that: I got a pretty good answer on Reddit regarding the procedence of this Union Memory brand:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/c1gvrr/whats_the_reliability_of_union_memory_nvme_that/er...

But Thinkpad specific features seem irrelevant to te brand of SSD I choose. And this machine actually supports another slot and says nothing about "ThinkPad aproved SSD's" for future upgrades.

In any case I will monitor the bad blocks and drive size on this SSD and if I find I am getting degradation within the warranty period I will ask for a replacement and hopefully get a Samsung one or equivalent.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors