Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 9,320
Message 1 of 12

Unpin store and edge from taskbar - icons return after logout/reboot

I know this is a windows problem, but I have scoured the internet with no solution. 

If i unpin the edge and store icon from the taskbar and I reboot or logout (or just kill and restart explore.exe) then they come back. 

There are 2 fixes that are supposed to work - removing these from registry key, and from a roaming profile path - but none of that works for me. 

Anyone got any other ideas?

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 9,265
Message 2 of 12

Re: Unpin store and edge from taskbar - icons return after logout/reboot

Do any of the security products you have installed monitor the registry? It could be the registry entries are being restored.

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 9,263
Message 3 of 12

@Hoov wrote:

Do any of the security products you have installed monitor the registry? It could be the registry entries are being restored.

It is certainly possible but i am relacing my new corp P50 with this new lighter machine. I have no problem on the P50 with same OS and apps - so i have to think it is something else. I just can't find out what it is. Microsoft forums seem clueless too. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 9,257
Message 4 of 12

Try booting the computer to windows cleanly, and then remove the registry entries and reboot again and see if they come back. (the registry entries). Let me know how that goes.

Instructions for booting cleanly, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,248
Message 5 of 12

I can't duplicate this, and this is just tossing stuff at the wall...

There are some group policy settings that sort of dance around this issue.  Maybe configuring one of those will knock some sense into it.

gpedit.msc -> User Configuration -> Start Menu and Taskbar -> <a bunch of random stuff>

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,219
Message 6 of 12

I am missing something.  I right-clicked both icons and selected unpin from taskbar.  I restarted and they are gone.  I am running win 10 pro 64

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 9,203
Message 7 of 12

Hi AlphaDog, How about resetting and clearing ALL pinned Taskbar apps?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3151-reset-clear-taskbar-pinned-apps-windows-10-a.html

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Guru
Views: 9,196
Message 8 of 12

Hi AlphaDog

Could I please ask you to check if you are being given a Temporary Profile within Windows 10.

A Temporary profile will always revert to default settings on reboot and is usually assigned in place of a local or domain held profile when an issue has occured with the users normal profile (ie a corruption). 

One of the easiest ways to check to see if you have a Temp profile is to check your environment variables to see the path to the profile folder.  My personal quickest method for this is...

Win Key + R

Type CMD

From the presented Command Prompt Window type SET and hit enter

Usually second or 3rd from bottom you will see a variable called USERPROFILE if the value it points to is a folder ending in TEMP or variation etc TEMP.001 you have a temporary profile.

If you have been given a temp profile the simplest thing is often just create a new profile.  If you are using roaming profiles remember to rename / remove this from all locations (server storage and local machines) before logging in freshly to create a new profile.

Currently Using: ThinkPad X1 Yoga, ThinkPad Yoga 370, ThinkPad X1 Tablet, Thinkpad 10, Yoga 910
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 9,186
Message 9 of 12

The only thing that has worked so far was to create a registry key to hide the store - Nothing else works to remove store or edge as pinned icons. 

I find it hard to believe it is related to corp group policy or corp utilities, as my P50 has identical software and login user, but the problem is not their. 

I suspect it has something to do with the touchscreen/tablet features

Parnell
What's DOS?
Views: 8,914
Message 10 of 12

I just received my new Thinkpad with Win10 and I have the same problem. I don't have a temporary profile and I have tried virtually everything to get rid of the Edge icon on the taskbar. I can unpin it but it keeps coming back afte every reboot (The Store icon disappeared when I unpinned it and hasn't appeared since). I run Win10 Enterprise 2016. On some PCs we run Win10 2015 LTSB and they don't have this issue. It would be best if I could uninstall Edge (we are not supposed ot use it anyway..) but this is not possible. I guess I will just have to ignore it, even if I press the wrong icon every now and then..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors