cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 349
Message 1 of 8

Updates: Use Lenovo Vantage app OR Support site with Lenovo Service Bridge?

I have been wondering why there are two methods to get updates for my X1 Extreme.

I have used both, but am probably going to stick with Lenovo Vantage. 

Which method are most of you using?

PS: Dell is similar in this regard. They also have multiple update apps / methods for some reason.

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 296
Message 2 of 8

Re: Updates: Use Lenovo Vantage app OR Support site with Lenovo Service Bridge?

@njweb wrote:

I have been wondering why there are two methods to get updates for my X1 Extreme.

I have used both, but am probably going to stick with Lenovo Vantage. 

Which method are most of you using?

PS: Dell is similar in this regard. They also have multiple update apps / methods for some reason.

Now they added a THIRD update app - Lenovo System Update (v5). Yesterday, right after booting up my X1 Extreme laptop I found this new app, which I did not even install, about to update my BIOS (default app setting was to update automatically!!!).

Luckily I was at the computer and quickly cancelled the BIOS update just before it could install.

Then when 'Lenovo System Update 5' detected an update was available for 'Lenovo Hotkey Integration package', I selected that update (left BIOS checkbox unchecked) but it got stuck at 91%. I eventually rebooted and the history said  "not installed". Fine, but when I checked for updates, the hotkey package update no longer showed up as available!!!

Lenovo Vantage and Lenovo Service Bridge via support site downloads page did not find it either.

I manually downloaded it from the Lenovo support site.

So, in short:

1) Why does Lenovo have 3 different update apps (not even including the manual download updates option via their support site, which I like in case the automated update apps fail to find some updates- e.g. graphic drivers)?

Why not keep only the best one when they build a new one and retire the prior one. Odd to me they would even have two, let alone get to three update apps.

2) Why are many recent updates, e.g. new nVidia graphics drivers from a few days ago among other, available on Lenovo's support site, but not identified as available for download when checking for updates using one of Lenovo's three update apps (Lenovo System Update, Lenovo Service Bridge and Lenovo Vantage)?

(Dell also had several different update apps / API's, so it is not just Lenovo who is following this practice of offering multiple competing update apps). 

BMCowboy
802.11n
Views: 271
Message 3 of 8

Hi,

1) Why does Lenovo have 3 different update apps (not even including the manual download updates option via their support site, which I like in case the automated update apps fail to find some updates- e.g. graphic drivers)?

Why not keep only the best one when they build a new one and retire the prior one. Odd to me they would even have two, let alone get to three update apps. 

Simply because they've got similar function but not same purpose:

On-line support page - For those with no Vantage or System Update installed yet.

Lenovo Vantage - Multi-function for drivers & software updates, system diagnostic and support requesting. For Win10 only.

Lenovo System Update - For drivers & software updates only. A member of ThinkVantage Tools and exist since WinXP, long before Vantage for Win10.

2) Why are many recent updates, e.g. new nVidia graphics drivers from a few days ago among other, available on Lenovo's support site, but not identified as available for download when checking for updates using one of Lenovo's three update apps (Lenovo System Update, Lenovo Service Bridge and Lenovo Vantage)?

It shouldn't be a question of "Why", but "How". There's always a time difference for updates populating in multi platform, and Online Support Page always be the first one to benefit the majority. That's the way it is.

"May the Force be with Lenovo"
njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 238
Message 4 of 8

@BMCowboy wrote:

Hi,

Simply because they've got similar function but not same purpose:

On-line support page - For those with no Vantage or System Update installed yet.

Lenovo Vantage - Multi-function for drivers & software updates, system diagnostic and support requesting. For Win10 only.

Lenovo System Update - For drivers & software updates only. A member of ThinkVantage Tools and exist since WinXP, long before Vantage for Win10.

It shouldn't be a question of "Why", but "How". There's always a time difference for updates populating in multi platform, and Online Support Page always be the first one to benefit the majority. That's the way it is.

1) Thanks, that helps regarding the distinction between them! Lenovo might want to create a small FAQ page with a few bullet points on this.

What does not make sense is why 'Lenovo System Update'

a) suddenly appeared on my laptop late last week 7 1/2 weeks after I got the laptop and my X1E already had Lenovo Vantage pre-installed and

b) why the 'default' setting is to install updates automatically, which includes BIOS updates like 1.18 which cannot be downgraded. Luckily I was sitting by my X1E and caught 'Lenovo Update' running (i.e. without any user intervention) just in time to cancel the 1.18 BIOS update which I knew had a report of rendering the Thunderbolt ports inoperable, for at least one user so far.

2) Makes sense. I may manually upgrade the nVidia drivers and any other drivers I deem fit (based on release notes) using the support page downloads.

BMCowboy
802.11n
Views: 218
Message 5 of 8

Hi nj,

a) suddenly appeared on my laptop late last week 7 1/2 weeks after I got the laptop and my X1E already had Lenovo Vantage pre-installed

I don't have X1E on hand to test with and not sure why it happened like this. However, I further checked on 3 other laptops (X250, X270 & X280) on Win10 with no Lenovo System Update application installed. Tested running Vantage and found no updates which enforce standalone LSU installation.

1.JPG

b) why the 'default' setting is to install updates automatically, which includes BIOS updates like 1.18 which cannot be downgraded. Luckily I was sitting by my X1E and caught 'Lenovo Update' running (i.e. without any user intervention) just in time to cancel the 1.18 BIOS update which I knew had a report of rendering the Thunderbolt ports inoperable, for at least one user so far.

Again, that's the way it is. Some people keen on everything in auto and some not. Manufacturers select auto-update as the best option they believed to be the default one, and left options for user switching back to update manually. Maybe it's a trend since Win10 Update as well as Android.

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 210
Message 6 of 8

@BMCowboy wrote:

Hi nj,

a) suddenly appeared on my laptop late last week 7 1/2 weeks after I got the laptop and my X1E already had Lenovo Vantage pre-installed

I don't have X1E on hand to test with and not sure why it happened like this. However, I further checked on 3 other laptops (X250, X270 & X280) on Win10 with no Lenovo System Update application installed. Tested running Vantage and found no updates which enforce standalone LSU installation.

1.JPG

Again, that's the way it is. Some people keen on everything in auto and some not. Manufacturers select auto-update as the best option they believed to be the default one, and left options for user switching back to update manually. Maybe it's a trend since Win10 Update as well as Android.

Thanks for checking regarding LSU installation on a few other Lenovo laptops. Puzzling indeed, but I simply disabled auto update in LSU, so I am fine now.

I don't really mind (too much) 'auto update' being the default for drivers and utitlities that can be rolled back; however my concern is the auto updates including even BIOS updates.

BIOS updates can not only cause bricking (not normally an issue, but for Lenovo it was an issue with a couple of recent firmware versions when selectig 'discrete graphics' as we all know), but also cannot be rolled back (for 1.18 at least that is the case) in the event an issue arises after upgrading the BIOS, such as TB ports no longer working as reported.

Anyway, very happy with my X1E. Just being careful to do my due diligence before each BIOS update, like I did before upgrading to 1.17 in late December.

BMCowboy
802.11n
Views: 204
Message 7 of 8

Critical updates like non-reversible BIOS and Intel ME firmware always left a confirmation prompt for user to choose whether install or cancel. Even auto-update activated, it will be downloaded and start installation process, but never complete silently without alert.lenovo flash update utility.PNG

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 172
Message 8 of 8

@BMCowboy wrote:

Critical updates like non-reversible BIOS and Intel ME firmware always left a confirmation prompt for user to choose whether install or cancel. Even auto-update activated, it will be downloaded and start installation process, but never complete silently without alert.lenovo flash update utility.PNG

Thanks, so user confirmation is indeed required, as one would expect. I cancelled LSU for 1.18 before it even got this far, so I did not see this screen.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors