Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user5432
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,592
Message 1 of 25

Upgrade NVMe SSD firmware to FWNV15 (X1 Carbon 5th Gen) on Linux

There is a new firmware release (FWNV15) for the NVMe SSD of the X1 Carbon 5th. I'm wondering if there is a way to perform the upgrade on a machine with no Windows installed on the internal SSD?

I've installed Ubuntu on the NVMe SSD and have a external USB Drive with Windows 10.

I tried to run the Firmware Update Utility on the "external" Windows 10 but no luck so far. Windows reboots and after it's up again the utility just shows some generic error message.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a booteable ISO.

Any recommendations on how to upgrade the firmware with my setup? Smiley Happy

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

user5432
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,555
Message 2 of 25

Re: Upgrade NVMe SSD firmware to FWNV15 (X1 Carbon 5th Gen)

The upgrade utility sometimes fails before it reboots windows with a message like "can't initializie linux system".

So I investigated further and found that the updater in fact is an ELF binary Smiley Happy

$ file fwupdater_i686_Win10_LPMoff
fwupdater_i686_Win10_LPMoff: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.2, for GNU/Linux 3.8.13, not stripped

Which also seems to be pretty easy to use:

$ ./fwupdater_i686_Win10_LPMoff
PROGRESS --- start firmware update.
Usage  ./fwupdater_i686_Win10_LPMoff <Model> <Serial> <Firmware> [Option]
  Model    : Drive Model Name.(Mandatory)
  Serial   : Drive Serial Number.(Mandatory)
  Firmware : Firmware Image file path.(Mandatory)
  Option   : Additional Option string starts with `-'.(Optional)
PROGRESS --- completed with status(8).

And the necessary info which firmware to use is in a file called fwwinsd.pro:

$ cat fwwinsd.pro
"THNSF5512GPUK TO","5KLA5102","5KLA5104","TINYCORE","fwupdater_i686_Win10_LPMoff","5KLA5104_NVME.sig","L","TOSHIBA"
"THNSF5512GPUK TO","5KLA5103","5KLA5104","TINYCORE","fwupdater_i686_Win10_LPMoff","5KLA5104_NVME.sig","L","TOSHIBA"

However, I'm not absolutely convinced I'm brave enough to run this utility Smiley Happy

Is anyone from Lenovo in this forum who is willing to confirm my findings? Smiley Happy

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,536
Message 3 of 25

Current firmware update method assumes you have Win10 installed on the SSD itself.  So I don't think booting Win10 on USB, and flashing from there, can be successful with this current design.  I will ask SSD team to see if they have any comment about flashing directly from within Linux.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,499
Message 4 of 25

SSD team is not comfortable about providing guidance how to do firmware update yourself in linux.  However there is a new firmware update tool coming (supposedly in August) which should work on your bootable Win10 USB scenario.  

user5432
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,492
Message 5 of 25

Thanks for your help, this is an acceptable workaround (at least for me).

However, I'd prefer to not use Windows at all (and maybe some other Lenovo owners out there too) Smiley Happy

It looks like the update tool tries to create a linux partition to boot from - one could probably boot this from an USB stick. Maybe it's an option on your side to create a bootable ISO image like the one for the UEFI updates?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,489
Message 6 of 25

@user5432 wrote:

It looks like the update tool tries to create a linux partition to boot from - one could probably boot this from an USB stick. Maybe it's an option on your side to create a bootable ISO image like the one for the UEFI updates?

Yes, the existing tool writes a tiny linux image to the EFI service partition, configures the PC to do a one-time boot to it (via bcdedit), and then does the actual flashing from within linux.  I agree that it should be possible to replicate same environment on a USB stick.  Personally, I'm not linux expert and can't help.  And Lenovo doesn't want to support that.  There are ways to make firmware updates go wrong so we try to standardize on a single method.  Totally understand your preference about not using Windows at all, but I just don't have a good answer for you.

user5432
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,482
Message 7 of 25

OK, I mark your previous answer as the accepted solution.

As a note, I've used the tool WinToUSB (http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/) to create the USB bootable Windows. It would be nice if the next version of the update tool is tested to work with a system set up this way. Or at least a small howto on setting up a bootable Windows which works with the update tool. Thanks.

ThinkBox
Token Ring
Views: 2,065
Message 8 of 25

oooh my lord...

just boot windows from usb stick ..and install the firmware update...

best regards...

user5432
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,033
Message 9 of 25

Thanks for you precise answer.

Either you didn't read the thread or you ignored the "external USB Drive with Windows 10" part - which actually is kinda "usb stick" Smiley Happy

Maybe you'd like to share some more details on your super easy upgrade procedure?

Oh, and just in case I forgot here it comes - Oh Boy! Smiley Happy
user5432
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,681
Message 10 of 25

End of September, any news on this?

Top Kudoed Authors