Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aawitek
Not applicable
Views: 1,831
Message 1 of 5

Upgrade SSD on 2015 X1 Carbon

I have the 2015 Carbon X1 and want to replace the existing 120GB SSD with the Samsung XP941 512GB.

Can someone walk me through, or provide a link to the process of installing the Windows 7 on the new SSD? I know that the SSD is compatible, and know how to swap the drives.  Do I create a system recovery USB through Windows on the old SSD and boot from it with the new SSD installed, or do I need to clone the existing SSD to the new SSD. I currently have Windows 7 installed through downgrade rights in Windows 8.1.  All I want to do is have a "fresh" / "factory installed" version of Windows 7 on the new SSD.

Thanks! 

fdeutschmann
Not applicable
Views: 1,742
Message 2 of 5

Re: Upgrade SSD on 2015 X1 Carbon

You have the right idea: with the original M.2 stick still in the machine, create a recovery USB drive.  Then shutdown, swap the sticks, and boot the recovery USB drive you made; do a full re-install.  This will result in a from-factory configuration, complete with recovery and hibernate partitions on your new blazing-fast M.2 SSD.

Note that it is very difficult to clone these PCIe-connected M.2 drives - you can't boot the originally installed drive as a USB drive, and you can't readily connect the PCIe M.2 SSD to a USB port.  (I have heard of a device to mount the PCIe M.2 drive to a USB port, but have never seen one in the wild.)  There are PCIe cards for desktop computers that can take the PCIe M.2 drives, so that's the alternate approach.

-frank

aawitek
Not applicable
Views: 1,735
Message 3 of 5

Thank you. I do have a PC with a compatible PCIe M.2 module; however, going the USB route appears to easy to try an alternative method.

Thanks adain!
arr0gant
Not applicable
Views: 1,605
Message 4 of 5

How did this work out for you?

delje08
Not applicable
Views: 1,514
Message 5 of 5

I have a 2014 refurb i just purchased with 128. I purchased a Samsung 850 Evo M.2. I created a recovery usb, replaced the original SSD, reboot to USB went thru the process but i get error cant find partition. Please help. I would like to do a fresh recovery on the Samsung M.2.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors