Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kdrone
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,797
Message 1 of 5

Upgrade Thinkpad X1 to 16GB?

I just checked Lenovo Solution Center (latest verson) and it now reports that the max capacity RAM for my machine (A Thinkpad X1, not carbon, late 2011 i7 model) is 16GB, which I always thought was 8GB!

I was wondering if I could stick in a 16GB RAM module then. has anyone done this?

All memory modules of this type are 12800 but from what I read online this is fine and teh RAM stick will just be downclocked to 10666.

Hopefully someone tried this out and can give some advice. If the memory modules of this type were a bit cheaper I'd give it a try regardless, but I am hoping to hear some feedback.

kdrone
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,750
Message 2 of 5

Re: Upgrade Thinkpad X1 to 16GB?

Bump, because no answers. Nobody tried?

Here's the screenshot proving that Lenovo Solution Center says my machine supports 16GB:

http://i.imgur.com/WssKfyc.png

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,738
Message 3 of 5

I don't have one to look at, but I believe it only has one memory slot, which means 8GB max.  You have a 2nd gen Core processor (i7-2xxx).  16GB DIMMs only work on 5th gen and higher machines.  This is an Intel limitation.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
kdrone
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,736
Message 4 of 5

Where can I read an official description of this issue?

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,722
Message 5 of 5

By issue, do you mean that intel CPUs older than 5th gen don't work with any 16GB DIMMs?  IntelligentMemory was the first brand to offer the new DIMMs?  You can read this:

http://www.intelligentmemory.com/dram-modules/ddr3-so-dimm/

As far as I know, Intel has never even acknowledged the existance of 16gb DDR3 DIMMs.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors