Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Wendel
802.11n
Views: 99
Message 1 of 3

Upgrade Win 10 Home to Pro UEFI Thinkpad

I have an X1 Extreme with Win 10 Home. I want to upgrade to Pro. My question is about the Lenovo installed OEM serial/product number in the UEFI chip. I have read I can't simply install a new retail Win 10 Pro because the install sees that my laptop is "registered" in the UEFI chip for only Win 10 Home.

If I go to the MS Store and buy the Win 10 Pro upgrade from Microsoft, does the MS upgrade actually change the serial/product key in the UEFI chip so in the future my laptop knows I have rights to Win 10 Pro?

I have read of ways to change the UEFI registered serial/product number but prefer not to mess with the BIOS code.

Thank you for your help.

Shawn3090
802.11n
Views: 75
Message 2 of 3

Re: Upgrade Win 10 Home to Pro UEFI Thinkpad

You can upgrade your existing Windows installation or reinstall Windows with a retail Pro key that your puchase. The point of the key embedded in the motherboard is that if your installation is wiped you don't need the sticker that used to come on the bottom of the computer. You would just need to have the key you purchase on hand if you ever want to reinstall Windows on the computer.

The advantage to buying a key is that you can reuse it between computers, as it is not tied to a particular motherboard, as long as it is only active on one at a time.

W540: i7-4700mq, K2100m, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO
T510: i7-620m, NVS 3100m, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 71
Message 3 of 3

Re: Upgrade Win 10 Home to Pro UEFI Thinkpad

If you just want to upgrade to Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Professional, all you need to do is apply your new Windows 10 Professional Product Key

How to: Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12384/windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro

If you choose to do a fresh installation of Windows 10 Professional on your X1 to upgrade it, during the Windows Pro installation you will have the opportunity to enter in your Windows 10 Pro Product Key/license.     

The old Windows 10 Home Product Key/license will remain in the BIOS but will not be used, and if you ever decide to sell the laptop or move your Windows 10 Pro license to a new system, you can simply reinstall the Windows 10 Home version on the X1, skip the product key entry, and the old Home Product Key will be used.

Be sure to keep your Windows 10 Product Key in a safe place,

How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/all/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-or-reinstall-of...

Cheers,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors