Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevewen
Paper Tape
Views: 19,089
Message 1 of 25

Upgrading the SSD on the Thinkpad X1 yoga

I just got my X1 yoga, the SSD capacity is 128GB and mode is SAMSUNG MZNLF128HCHP-000L1, it is SATA III interface, I would like to upgrade to 256GB NVMe PCIeX 4 , Samsung 950 pro series 256GB PCIe NVMe looks good, but the picture shows the connector is M key, I think the original SSD connector should be B&M key, will it fit  and whether the motherboard can support  NVMe  PCIe X4.

Thank in advance.

ANIMATEDXX
Paper Tape
Views: 19,047
Message 2 of 25

Re: Upgrading the SSD on the Thinkpad X1 yoga

I also have the same question.  Can some from Lenovo please answer.

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 19,044
Message 3 of 25

the samsung 950 pro is a PCIe 3.0 device with NVMe support it should work as long connector is normal m.2/PCie that can support a m.2 drive or a PCIe drive in m.2 format which i mean same size and so on.
stevewen
Paper Tape
Views: 19,017
Message 4 of 25

Jake,

Thanks,

ANIMATEDXX
Paper Tape
Views: 19,010
Message 5 of 25

I believe that this advice may lead to some confusion...

I recently bought the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga with the 128GB SSD configuration with the expectation that I would later upgrade the HDD to a larger capacity.  The  only configuration I found available with the 128GB SSD had a M2 SATA connection on the Laptop Board.  From my research, manufacturers usually configure the boards for M.2 SSD or M.2 PCIe.  I also had a IM chat with the Lenovo using their website to confirm whether or not the board and connection could support both M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIe SSDs.  I was told that since I ordered the Laptop with the 128 M.2 SATA SSD that I can only upgrade to higher capacity M.2 SATA SSDs even though the board supports M and M+B Key storage.

My research indicated that if your device came with a M.2 SATA SSD, you would only be able to upgrade to a M.2 SATA SSD of higher capacity, and cannot upgrade to a M.2 PCIe SSD without replacing the board.  Based on the initial configuration mentioned in this thread of a 128 GB SSD (Which is only available in M.2 SATA) I would assume that the X1 Yoga is configure for only M2. SATA SSDs.  I would be happy to be wrong, and would Respect Lenovo for their forward thinking if I am wrong and the X1 Yoga board support both M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIe SSDs simultaneously (Either one can be used without reconfiguring the lanes on the connection/board), but i fear this is not the case, and Lenovo tacked on the extra Price tag for a 256 GB PCIe SSD to force the consumer to choose because the board would not support both.. 

jaytronics
Punch Card
Views: 18,944
Message 6 of 25

Please see the link provided. I have done quit a bit of research. I purchased the X1 Yoga as well. I took pictures of all the connector ports that are relivent to this type of question. If you have purchased the SATA version like I have, Unless there is something in the BIOS that prohibits the installation of an MvNe PCIe SSD, then we are free to do so. The Samsung 950 Pro should fit in this device. This device houses an M.2 port/slot. It is the M key port/slot. 

https://jaytronics.imgur.com/all/

ANIMATEDXX
Paper Tape
Views: 18,933
Message 7 of 25

Please install a PCIe SSD in the M2 SATA slot of your yoga X1 SATA version and let me know if it works. I understand that the Yoga X1 M.2 slot is M + B keyd and can accept M Keys M.2 PCIe SSDs (fits in the slot). However, the HW needed (not just the connection slot) is different. If you have success, please report back in the thread. I have also done lots of research and ever contacted Lenovo regarding the issue. They stated that although you can fit the M.2 PCIe SSD into the slot, it's not compatible. Mostlikely, Lenovo used the M+B key because it reduces their BOM. They only need 1 part for the physical connection for both M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIe configurations. I would love to be wrong here, so if you upgrade to a PCIe SSD please let me know if it works. Can you site you research sources, I would love to read more.
jaytronics
Punch Card
Views: 18,904
Message 8 of 25

@ANIMATEDXX wrote:
Please install a PCIe SSD in the M2 SATA slot of your yoga X1 SATA version and let me know if it works. I understand that the Yoga X1 M.2 slot is M + B keyd and can accept M Keys M.2 PCIe SSDs (fits in the slot). However, the HW needed (not just the connection slot) is different. If you have success, please report back in the thread. I have also done lots of research and ever contacted Lenovo regarding the issue. They stated that although you can fit the M.2 PCIe SSD into the slot, it's not compatible. Mostlikely, Lenovo used the M+B key because it reduces their BOM. They only need 1 part for the physical connection for both M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIe configurations. I would love to be wrong here, so if you upgrade to a PCIe SSD please let me know if it works. Can you site you research sources, I would love to read more.

I am having this done tonight. i do not have access to a PCIe Drive at this time. But, I just met another person that has this same X1 Yoga as me. With one exception. He has the PCIe SSD in his X1. But, he does have a SATA drive at home. So, he is going to take a video of it being run form the PCIe drive and then install the SATA drive and boot. We will figure this out. I truly hope that you are wrong. because if you were, that would mean that Lenovo has taken a turn for insane. As it would serve zero purpose to not allow such a thing to occure. 

jaytronics
Punch Card
Views: 18,857
Message 9 of 25

I know that no one is holding their breath here for the answer. But, I found 

@jaytronics wrote:

@ANIMATEDXX wrote:

I am having this done tonight. i do not have access to a PCIe Drive at this time. But, I just met another person that has this same X1 Yoga as me. With one exception. He has the PCIe SSD in his X1. But, he does have a SATA drive at home. So, he is going to take a video of it being run form the PCIe drive and then install the SATA drive and boot. We will figure this out. I truly hope that you are wrong. because if you were, that would mean that Lenovo has taken a turn for insane. As it would serve zero purpose to not allow such a thing to occure. 

I realise that no one here is holding their breath on the answer to the OPs question. Well, maybe the OP is. LOL! Any way, The guy that was going to do the switch from his PCIe MvNe drive to the SATA drive informed me that the drive will not fit. But, that is only because the drive he has is the wider older mSATA drive. So, I we are making plans to get together and do drive switchies. He lives in NH and I live in 20 minuets south of Worcester MA. So we are a good distance from one another. I was waiting on some work up in ME to come in so that I could use that as an excuse to do the drive switches. Any way, I have the work orders. And hopefully will be getting up there by next week. Again, I know this is not a live or die situation with any one. But it will be nice to know if Lenovo truly did or did not cripple those of us that have the SATA drive X1 Yogas. I really hope not. i want a 1TB drive when Samsung releases to the public. I am pretty sure that they are not going to release it in SATA. But only PCIe. But, I have not looked into it close enough to say for sure. Any way, I am off to bed. Been a long day. have a good one peoples. 

jaytronics
Punch Card
Views: 18,798
Message 10 of 25

So, I thought I saw this somewhere before. So, it seems as though it is quite possible. Though this person could be pulling smoke out their rear. But, for what gains would there be to lie about such a thing. Any way, i do apologize for not being able to do or get done what said whas going to happen. But, when I get another decent pay check I will head to Microcenter and purchase the 512 PCIe NvMe drive and try this my self. Though, it will be a few weeks before I can do such a thing. Any way, here is the address that addresses the question. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/44ut2b/love_my_new_tp_x1_yoga/

Top Kudoed Authors