cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zr1000a1
Serial Port
Views: 4,688
Message 1 of 2

Upgrading the SSD on the X1 Carbon 6th Gen (2018)

I'm about to purchase a new X1 Carbon and need 1TB SSD. I already have Samsung 960 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB drive and thinking of ordering X1 with a smallest 256GB SSD option. Based on my research, Lenovo uses the latest (OEM, no consumers equivalent yet) Samsung PM981 SSD (with Phoenix controller and 3D TLC NAND Flash). 960 Pro has Polaris controller and 2D & 3D MLC NAND Flash.

Should there be any issues using a different type SSD in X1?

The reason I'm asking is that I had some bad experience replacing parts (though not SSD) in ThinkPad. I had T440p and replaced touchpad without buttons with the one that did have buttons. The original touchpad was Synaptics and the new one was ALPS. The problem was that with every system update Windows was replacing ALPS drivers with Synaptics ones and I always had to rollback the drivers manually. It seemed like T440p had touchpad type "hardcoded" and never properly recognized the new touchpad!

I would like to avoid the similar issue with SSD, but at the same time I'd prefer to save $500 Lenovo asks for 1TB SSD.

Thanks

psun786
Punch Card
Views: 4,611
Message 2 of 2

Re: Upgrading the SSD on the X1 Carbon 6th Gen (2018)

You may need to load Intel driver for Windows to detect nvme ssd during OS installation. But it should work the same

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors