Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ltj
Paper Tape
Views: 10,244
Message 1 of 18

Verizon Activation x240 Gobi 5000 EM7355

Has anyone got this card successfully working with Verizon?? SIM is in place and ready for activation with Verizon. When I try to use the Lenovo Mobile Broadband Activation tool the only options listed are ATT and Other. The other option just says to call your provider. This tool worked for us previously with the x230 and there was always a Verizon activation option. Any help much appreciated!

Syndication
Paper Tape
Views: 10,168
Message 2 of 18

Re: Verizon Activation x240 Gobi 5000 EM7355

Lenovo is aware of this issue but they don't have a solution yet. We have been dealing with this problem FOR MONTHS with both Verizon and Lenovo pointing fingers at each other. Until Lenovo fixes the problem, I would advise anyone who intends to use the Gobi 5000 card with Verizon to stay away. There are obviously problems that were not caught in QA that have lingered where our support requests were swept under the rug not acknowledging any problems. For the price you pay for these laptops, you would expect them to be working out of the gate.

The X240, T440s/T440 and any laptops that use the Gobi 5000 are not ready for businesses who use Verizon and have a mobile workforce. You're better off slamming your head against the wall rather than wait for Lenovo to fix the problem.

bspyksma
Paper Tape
Views: 10,141
Message 3 of 18

I've been plagued by this issue for months now. First off you are not alone and unfortunately Lenovo seems to be keeping frustratingly quiet about the issue. I've pushed hard on this matter through my VAR and I'm being told it has now gone up to a VP of Quality at Lenovo. Basically there are multiple issues going on and that is why the problem is so **bleep** frustrating to diagnose. I think most of the issues all come back to one thing, poorly written drivers. Before I dive into the issue I just want to say, that if at any point you are able to get your GOBI card working with Verizon, by all means don’t change anything. What I mean is don’t swap in another SIM or GOBI card just to test, don’t by all means don’t update the WWAN (GOBI) driver unless you want it to stop working (at least not until new drivers become available). Because I guarantee it will stop working if you do. Believe me. I’ve tried. Luckily if you uninstall the new drivers and reinstall the older ones you should be able to get it working again. Anyway, you have been warned.

1. Defective cards (DOA) - initial driver may load but additional 4 drivers other components (modem, etc) fail to load. Don’t waste your time with it. It’s a bad card. Get the card replaced. There seemed to be a higher number of failures with these cards than I’ve seen in the past, but it might just be my imagination.

2. Drivers load but when you attempt command to the GOBI card to connect it disappears in device manager, Lenovo Mobile Broadband Activation (LMBA), and AccessConnections. The latest GOBI drivers Sierra Wireless EM7355 - Gobi 5000 Software Version: 3.11.1310.3981 still posted at http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS038726 are the most likely problem here. While earlier driver versions were not very reliable, the drivers posted on Jan 7, 2014 are absolutely abysmal. From my experience I can sometimes get about one card in every four to actually start working. Seems to me the issue really started occurring upon the release of the November GOBI drivers as I actually got some cards activate prior to that.

3. The GOBI identifies with the wrong carrier – Usually defaults to AT&T, Vodaphone, Internet Pelephone(???), etc. Everything but Verizon. You may also receive the “No SIM is installed” message. Again a driver issue. See the above rant #2.

4. AccessConnections sucks! – No more Verizon VZAccessManager to drive the GOBI 5000 cards and I’ve been told it won’t ever appear. And while I’m not a huge fan of VZAccessManager it has in the past been more reliable in connecting Verizon cards than AccessConnections.

Possible solution:

Sometimes simply running the driver installer (the latest buggy ones from January) will force the card to appear to the system again. If so, run the LMBA from within AccessConnections and choose Other as the carrier. Every once and a while it will correctly identify with Verizon. Mostly it just fails or says no SIM is installed. Give up and move on to the next step.

An interim solution that has worked well for me:

This has just come to me today (3/5/2014) by way of a high level Lenovo engineer as a way to make the cards work until Lenovo has fixed their driver issue. So far, these older drivers have worked well for me. Enabling me to use GOBI cards I had all but given up hope on.

1. If you can still find them online, download the older v3.4.1308.3909 of the GOBI 5000 driver and v4.4.1014 of Lenovo Mobile Broadband Activation.

2. Uninstall both Sierra Wireless Lenovo Mobile Broadband Driver Package and the Lenovo Mobile Broadband Activation from the system then reboot.

3. Run LenovoGobi5kSetup.exe to install the older GOBI 5000 driver.

4. Wait for system to recognize and install all the components of the GOBI 5000 card.

5. Run LMBASetup.exe to install the older LMBA package, again following all the prompts to install the software. (Note: if the installation says it cannot find a compatible WAN device, the GOBI 500 driver may not have finished installing all the components or you may need to reboot before installing LMBA) You may also have a bad GOBI card.

6. Reboot the system and once the system has fully loaded, run and Lenovo Mobile Broadband Activation. Depending on your configuration, you may not get an icon for LMBA.  The program can be started by pasting this line into Run (Windows key + R) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\MobileBroadbandActivation\Wananc.exe". It can also be run from within AccessConnections.

Please note: Over the Air activation does not work in this driver version, but phone activation should work. Once the SIM is activated, LMBA will be able to create the Verizon connection profile.

I would suggest remaining at these versions of driver and LMBA software until a new version is released that corrects the problems in the current driver. I hope that this helps.

caoa
Paper Tape
Views: 10,102
Message 4 of 18

Hello bspyksma.

Is there anyway you can share your versions of LMBA and Serra Drivers with me. I am running into all types of issues and unable to get activation working.

I am unable to find them online.

alfredcao(at)gmail.com

BRC-Richard
What's DOS?
Views: 9,876
Message 5 of 18

We have the same problem on three laptops. No way to activate the cards with Verizon. Our Verizon rep got involved and did a good job of putting pressure on Lenovo to fix the problem since it is affecting his customers. All they told him is there was a problem and it doesn't work at this time.

bspyksma
Paper Tape
Views: 9,871
Message 6 of 18

You can make it work with the old drivers. The new drivers will simply drive you mad. Contact me directly if you need further assistance.

ltj
Paper Tape
Views: 9,865
Message 7 of 18

After a lot of back and forth with lenovo we were able to get it working with the old drivers. Uninstall any gobi drivers or lenovo activation you have and install the ones here:

FTP://incoming:lenovoL2lenovo@lenovo-lse.com/Oxender/GOBI5000.zip

fishbulb
Paper Tape
Views: 9,764
Message 8 of 18

Hey, thanks for all the legwork folks have put in on this one.   Once the drivers in the ftp link are downloaded, which software have folks been using to read the meid, sim card#, etc?  Not VzAccess right?  I don't see Thinkvantage Access Connections mentioned either.   Thanks for any info. 

ltj
Paper Tape
Views: 9,761
Message 9 of 18

I got the MEID off a sticker on the hardware and the SIM number off the card itself.

lethin
Paper Tape
Views: 9,588
Message 10 of 18

Groan.   I specifically pulled the trigger to upgrade from my old X220 because the Gobi 5000 was available which would mean LTE support.  

Now, after I get this far in installing my environment, I went to find the latest version of Verizon Access Manager and it doesn't mention the Gobi 5000.   And according to the thread, I guess there never will be?

I'm not sure I want to spend time screwing around with this.    Is there any word when Lenovo will get this straightened out?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors