Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
alternet
SCSI Port
Views: 268
Message 1 of 7

Very used surface of the laptop (X1 Yoga 2nd)

Hi all,

After 20 months of using my L TP X1 Yoga (2nd gen – 20JE) the laptop surface where I ussually keep my hands got used very much. The surface is covered with some kind of a rubber and this rubber is getting peeling which looks not good.

Please refer to attached pictures for more details.

LTPX1YogaL.jpgLeft corner

LTPX1YogaR.jpgRight corner

Could you advise me if this is  a subject of warranty cover, please?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Kind regards,

a

jam589
What's DOS?
Views: 226
Message 2 of 7

Re: Very used surface of the laptop (X1 Yoga 2nd)

You obviously dont wear a watch when you type..................  the buckle hacks through it!

IMG_3296.jpg

alternet
SCSI Port
Views: 223
Message 3 of 7

Yea! Military grade!!!

Are you going to do anything with it?

a

jam589
What's DOS?
Views: 217
Message 4 of 7

other than getting a Gen 4 one no. 

I have a few run ins with lenovo warranty over the years (this is my 7th laptop from them) and all have been very good when hardware issues but terrible when cosmetic.   One one machine they replaced the OLED screen under warratny but wouldnt change the plastic bezel around it that had a small crack, on another one of the screw recepticles on the bottom of the machine had come loose so the case wouldnt stay closed - wouldnt replace that as 'casing'

My guess is they wont cover that.

Guru
Views: 208
Message 5 of 7

This might get covered if you have purchased accidental damage warranty. Otherwise, this has been happening to earlier Thinkpad systems as the oil from your hands breaks down the coating. The only thing that I have determined which slows the issue down is to periodically wipe the bezel and cover surfaces with a solution of dishwashing soap (Dawn) and then taking a damp cloth and drying them. I feel your pain. 

P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.19 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.25,Xeon Processor, 4k UHD IPS multi-touch display, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1

I am not an employee nor an agent of Lenovo.
alternet
SCSI Port
Views: 199
Message 6 of 7

@harrisb wrote:

the oil from your hands breaks down the coating. 

What the hell is wrong with my hands. 😉

I thought I am a normal person and Lenovo should know that even normal persons can get their hangs sweat so the surface cloth should be resistant enough to handle regular usage.

Anyway, many thanks @harrisb!

a

alternet
SCSI Port
Views: 148
Message 7 of 7

Just for your information: reported this issue to support and here is their answer:

all physical damage needs to be vetted by our warranty exception team before we may proceed with a replacement. 
Our colleagues determined that the damage was customer induced and thus not subject to a warranty repair.

However, if you wish, we can have your machine sent in to our depot so that the colleagues there can give us their opinion after seeing the device first hand.
At that point they will ether fix your device in warranty or offer you a cost estimate for a billable repair, which you can of course reject and have your machine returned to you at no cost.

Please confirm if this solution is acceptable.

Smiley Mad

Cheers,

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors