Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

01-08-2017

United States of America

19 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 1 of 6

Video DXGKRNL Fatal Error. External monitor blanks every few seconds. X1 6th Gen. Win 10

2021-02-24, 9:16 AM

I have been getting the BSOD error every day or two for about a month. It now seems to be less of a problem (although it hasn't gone away; just happened now), but the external monitor now blanks once every one or two seconds. And sometimes stays blanked for for 3 or 4 seconds. So, it's basically useless. Have tried powering off/on the monitor, disconnecting it from power. Disconnecting its power cord. Etc. Also the emergency reset that worked in Dec. 2020 when the computer couldn't see the monitor at all. (Thanks Bananaman!)

I don't know if the two (monitor blanking, BSOD) are related. FWIW, Lenovo System 9.2.0.3 installed just recently. Strangely it did so after Leonovo System 10.0.134.0 installed. Lenovo Monitor 6.14.7.0 installed 2021-01-07, and this may have been when I first started getting the BSOD Video DXGKRNL error, but I'm not sure. Lenovo diagnostics claims that all drivers are up-to-date. Can anyone help?

Options

2282 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

249 Signins

11666 Page Views

• Views: 11666
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Video DXGKRNL Fatal Error. External monitor blanks every few seconds. X1 6th Gen. Win 10

2021-02-24, 11:03 AM

Hi JoeSchmoe,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Here's a few troubleshooting steps you can try :

Step 1: Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update
- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.
- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.
- Click the "System Icon"
- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"
- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"
**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates.

Step 2. Run a cleanup command.

If the same error repeats, return to the elevated Command Prompt using the above and type in the following command:

• dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If the issue persists, continue to the next step:

**Note: This utility will replace any corrupted Windows file with fresh copies downloaded from Microsoft’s server. It’s important that you have a stable internet connection before initiating this scan.

Step 3. Run a SFC scan.

1. Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator
2. Now type the command:

• sfc /scannow

3. Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.

4. If the issue persists, continue to the next step:

**Note: This utility will perform an analysis on your disk and repair any errors it manages to find. Keep in mind that you need to change C to your drive letter if your OS is located somewhere else.

Step 4. Run a Display Driver Uninstall tool (cleanup tool).

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

14 Posts

01-08-2017

United States of America

19 Signins

68 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

Re:Video DXGKRNL Fatal Error. External monitor blanks every few seconds. X1 6th Gen. Win 10

2021-02-24, 12:05 PM

Hi Voithos!

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I looked up sfc on the Microsoft support site, and since they recommended running DISM before sfc, I did. The result is attached. What should I do next?

Thanks again!

Options

2282 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

249 Signins

11666 Page Views

• Views: 11666
  • Message 4 of 6

2021-02-24, 12:29 PM

@ JoeSchmoe wrote:

Hi Voithos!

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I looked up sfc on the Microsoft support site, and since they recommended running DISM before sfc, I did. The result is attached. What should I do next?

Thanks again!

Yes, that is correct, I keep mixing up the two, I apologize. 

I'd run the sfc scan now and then the DDU. 

If unable to run the sfc scan as well, try booting your device into the Advanced Startup Menu and perform a Startup Repair of Win 10.

- Select the Start button, then choose Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.

- After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options, then select Startup Repair.

click Startup Repair

If nothing seems to help fix the issue, then I'd perform a backup of my files and do a System Recovery of the device. (Also found in the Menu above, or in Windows by selecting the Start button, then choose Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

14 Posts

01-08-2017

United States of America

19 Signins

68 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-02-24, 12:50 PM

I just ran sfc. The result is attached. Is it at all helpful in diagnosing the problem?

Options

14 Posts

01-08-2017

United States of America

19 Signins

68 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-03-01, 19:39 PM

Start up repair didn't help. So, I guess it's Recovery. Is there anything that I should know about/do before (other than backing everything up) Recovery? Is it the equivalent of a full Windows 10 reinstall? E.g., do I have to reinstall all my software, etc.?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms