Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BluebirdinPA
Paper Tape
Views: 1,805
Message 91 of 113

Re: Voluntary Recall Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Generation

Andy,

You said "If your system is affected and are unable to visit a service partner near you, or there are none, please contact support as instructed on the site."

I contacted the nearest servcie partner - a brach of Microcenter that did warranty repair on my previous Thinkpad. They told me that Lenovo would have to contact them and expressly authorize the repair.  When I called Lenovo, I was told I would be given instructions by email. Those instruictions were that Lenovo would send me a box to return mny system in and that Lenovo might reinstall a clean operating system (meaning I could lose everything).  Obviously my system is backed up, but it would take time to reinstall and that doesn't even account for the minimum of 6 days I would not have the system.

My questions are - why can't Microcenter at least inspect my Thinkpad and, if necessary, do the repair? And who do I need to contact at Lenovo to make that happen?

GregSunny
Paper Tape
Views: 1,763
Message 92 of 113

Yeah,  It is annoying that lenovo could not supply a free on-site service for all the customers. Other options means no access to my laptop for several days, it is unacceptable for those who work with it everyday.

Since the x1 carbon 5th gen is a rather new model,  all the affected computers are automatically covered by the  base warranty. So those owners do not  need to pay  for this inspection ensentially.  I don't see any cost to Lenovo or apology from Lenovo.  customers need to pay much time and endure inconvenience to  have this inspection.

A free on-site service could be good way to reduce the cost of customers and show the their respect to customer's experence with  Lenovo.

hux12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,754
Message 93 of 113

Ok Guys,

I received my X1 after the recall inspection but noticed something is wrong which the base cover. It is not completely loose but it didn't sit as tight as I remembered, and after some closer looks, I noticed 3 out if 5 screws on the outside that holds the base cover are loose and cannot be tightened. You can turn them in both direction but there is no resistent one way or the other. This recall inspection was done by this company "ASI system integration" in New York City.

Earlier today, I brought my x1 to an other Lenovo certifed repair place another forum member pointed out to me, which is closer to where I am and they have technicians on site. I show it to a technian there and he check the screws with a torque screw drivers and he said there is definitely something not right, the base cover screws should sit tight and they shouldm't be those interior component screws that can be delicate.

But since I had the first repair which may caused this problem with ASI, I had to bring it back to them to have it fixed. The technician said it could be the screws are "stripped" or something, where they should be screwed on to, broke. Now I am really angry because it means I have to bring the laptop back and wait for at least another week at least to have it "fixed", and hope something else don't break during the process. And it made me wary when I brought the laptop back ti ASI, the guy who was writing the note to the technician on that ticket did not know how to write the word "tighten" and I had to take over the note writing. Let's say that inidividual is a native english speaker... which made me question the human resource of that certified lenovo partner, to which I am stuck with for this repair...

On the other hand I suspect it may be a build quality issue, since I assume and seiously hope so too that a certified technician should know now to unscrew 5 screws on the base cover, which is step one for any type repair/inspection. Also the these screws were touched for the first time evr during the last recall inspection and if they break after 1 or 2 times screwing/unscrewing, it is obviously a build quality issue, especially 3 out of 5 screws broke!

I find this type of quality and slow service unacceptable for the premium line of business laptop. It is not even 6 months old and I cannot afford to have it spend weeks and weeks in repair, and I cannot not do work with it. It defies the purpose to have a laptop the first place and there are still over 1.5 years of warranty on the unit.

I would love to have an response from Lenovo here to comment on this issue. I would like to hear a solution rather than an apology (one would ever get offered here).

alxdavids
What's DOS?
Views: 1,720
Message 94 of 113

Andy,

I have tried submitting an email via that page, and also a service request. Both have had no response. Can you please advise me on what I should do now?

Alex
GreyFox2
What's DOS?
Views: 1,685
Message 95 of 113

Wanted to chime in on my experience.  Called Lenovo Support and was given a case number in order for me to mail my X1C5 to a Lenovo Service Center.  Was told turnaround was going to be 6-7 days.  Two days later the box to ship my laptop arrived.  Overall, the conversation took less than 10 minutes.

While waiting for the box to show up, I noticed on the community boards that Microcenter is a Lenovo Service Provider.  There's a Micocenter about 10 minutes from where I work.  Went down there on my lunch hour.  Microcenter was completely familiar with the recall.  Long story short, I left my laptop at Microcenter and they called me back 3 hours later to let me know that my X1C5 had been inspected, no issue was found with an unfastened screw and they cleaned and dusted inside the compartment.  Manager of Repair Dept thanked me for bringing the laptop in.  Really efficient operation and I didn't have to give up my X1C5 for a week. 

Maybe I'm one of the "lucky" ones, but suggest that if you inquire to Microcenter, ask for the manager.  Might make a difference. 

hux12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,652
Message 96 of 113

I wish I have such a competent service center near me!

My unit was working flalwlessly until the recall, which turned out was unnecessary in my case. Now I am dealing with this service partner of Lenovo that appears to be extremely bureaucratic and incompetent. Today I was transfered from one person to another on the phone and nobody knows what is going on, all I want is to talk to a technician about what's the deal with the screws on the based cover. I can't believe this can be so complicated...

Now I don't have a laptop for a week and half now. Seriously considering to buy a new laptop at this point.

@GreyFox2 wrote:

Wanted to chime in on my experience.  Called Lenovo Support and was given a case number in order for me to mail my X1C5 to a Lenovo Service Center.  Was told turnaround was going to be 6-7 days.  Two days later the box to ship my laptop arrived.  Overall, the conversation took less than 10 minutes.

While waiting for the box to show up, I noticed on the community boards that Microcenter is a Lenovo Service Provider.  There's a Micocenter about 10 minutes from where I work.  Went down there on my lunch hour.  Microcenter was completely familiar with the recall.  Long story short, I left my laptop at Microcenter and they called me back 3 hours later to let me know that my X1C5 had been inspected, no issue was found with an unfastened screw and they cleaned and dusted inside the compartment.  Manager of Repair Dept thanked me for bringing the laptop in.  Really efficient operation and I didn't have to give up my X1C5 for a week. 

Maybe I'm one of the "lucky" ones, but suggest that if you inquire to Microcenter, ask for the manager.  Might make a difference. 

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,533
Message 97 of 113

@GreyFox2 wrote:

Which Microcenter did you go to?

GreyFox2
What's DOS?
Views: 1,452
Message 98 of 113

St. Louis Park, MN (suburb of Minneapolis)
jake708
What's DOS?
Views: 1,285
Message 99 of 113

Hello, all of our devices are registered with Lenovo however we were not notified of this recall by email. Do you know why this was?

Apologies for posting here, however I was unable to find another suitable method through which to send this complaint.

Fatherb88
Paper Tape
Views: 1,261
Message 100 of 113

I did promise a follow-up, but sorry for the delay.  I went to CompuCare in San Jose, CA.  They were fully aware of the problem and have been doing the recall service.  They had to scramble in the beginning because they were not informed by Lenovo early.  However, they took care of my unit and found one partially loose screw, tightened them all and did a check of the system battery.  All is well and I'm happy to have my laptop back after only a few hours for service. 

In general, I would not purchase any Lenovo product unless it was classified as a "corporate" customer product.  Service for ordinary "consumer" products appear to be nearly non-existent in the San Francisco/San Jose CA area.  

Top Kudoed Authors