Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeremyChen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,305
Message 31 of 121

Re: Voluntary Recall Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Generation

well, does anybody know how long it takes for a local shop to do the inspection and fix the problem? I am using this computer working 10hs a day and can't stand even one weekday off. can they do during weekends? 

also, I've been waiting in the line for more than 40 mins without any response from CS team. can Lenovo do better with the service??? 

JeremyChen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,291
Message 32 of 121

Hi, does anyone hear some a little weak noisy when you're using the computer while charging or connecting to the dock? 

Sound like "ZZZ..." but very weak and discontinuously. I heard this wield sound long time ago, not sure it's the reason they explained in recalling. 

Theo_Gao
Paper Tape
Views: 1,285
Message 33 of 121

I am so disappointed. I called by phone and always was told ''are serving other customers''. I chated with the bot, and waited for over 2 hours. Finally, someone could talk with me. The attitude is not pleased, maybe is too busy, I think. Anyway, I was told that they would send me a box to have my laptop sent. And they will repair and return it within 6 business days after receiving it. I think it will cost more than 2 weeks for this issue. I don't have a car and the nearest service provider is about 50 miles far. There are so many important data on the laptop and I have to work with it. So is there any compensation for the time and resource consumed? There is nothing! Maybe it's my fault, I shouldn't buy it.

jrpaulson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,283
Message 34 of 121

JeremyChen, call your local service center to be sure, but the folks I talked to at my local service center (Wilsonville, OR) estimated it to be a 30 minute fix. 

JeremyChen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,278
Message 35 of 121

thanks, I will bring to the shop asap,
Theo_Gao
Paper Tape
Views: 1,274
Message 36 of 121

I think it's the sound of electric current, which is normal.

hux12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,258
Message 37 of 121

Dear all,

This has been my experience dealing with this reacall so far. 

My 5 gen X1 has been working flawlessly the past 5 months and I use it every day. User experience has been excellent with this unit.

But now after seeing this recall, it is possible that it will go up in flame at random which is a serious issue, I think there is a more serious issue many users may not be aware of - Not only because the potential fire hazard, but also we can no longer legally (I believe) to bring this laptop on flights. I am certain it is a serious fedral crime to knowingly bring potential fire hazard item onto air planes. I mean the whole point buying a laptop like X1 carbon is exactly for the portability. Now I have to travel to California for work for a week in 9 days and all of sudden I don't have a laptop.

As soon as I read the email about the recall, I called the lenovo service hotline 3 times, when I entered my machine type via voice on the phone, I was directed to a line that is occupied, I tried 3 times and that line hang up on me every time.

To fix this problem ASAP, I followed the instruction on the recall website and found a certified partner near me so they can take a look at it. But the whole process is super tideous, I live in Manhattan in New York City  and the only partner Lenovo website has to show, and the only one in Manhattan, is a company called "ASI System Integration Inc.",  they have an office midtown, I took a cab and went there immediately, and to my surprise, it is a very small office, and, they do not have ANY technician on site! What you can do there is to drop off your laptop and fill up a form and then it will take 10 days on average or them to ship that laptop to their depot facility on Long Island and ship back to them and you can go pick it up from their office again. So it means I may or may not get my laptop back before my travel, when I need it the most.

This type of support services for a business line laptop like thinkpad x1 carbon is utterly unacceptable in my opinion. I don't live in a remote area but in a big city like New York where literally millions of people are living on a few 10s of square miles. And for a recall like this, 10+ days turn around time just to check if a screw is loose, without any needs for replacement parts. Shouldn't Levono have a shop like the apple store where you can walk in and talk to some technicians directly?

And who is going to compensate us business users, the time, incovenience and reduced productivity we have to put up with? Or perhaps, next time, we should choose a different business laptop as solution?

Andrew250
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,252
Message 38 of 121

I didn't interpret the problem the same way initially, now I realize it's unclear. Hey Lenovo - is it possible this laptop will spontaneously burst into flames? Even when it's unplugged and turned off? It's unclear what the loose screw affects.

Is this like a Hoverboard now? That's a bigger problem. I thought it would be safe in my house shut down and unplugged. But maybe I need a fire-proof box now?

Theo_Gao
Paper Tape
Views: 1,240
Message 39 of 121

Oh you scare me, but I think you are right.
hux12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,227
Message 40 of 121

That is the whole point why it is dangerous as far as I understood it. Assuming there is a loose screw if you put your laptop down, turned off, onto a table lets say, if during the movement that loose screw moves and happens to touch some wiring of the battery, it can shortcircle the battery and cause it overheat and eventually goes up in flame.

Top Kudoed Authors