Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,754
Message 51 of 121

Re: Voluntary Recall Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Generation

You can change the language of the support site through the drop down menu in the top right corner.

language.PNG

When you have entered your serial number you will then be presented with the number to call, please see below.  As it cannot be assured that you are connected to a representative who speaks English, and you perhaps do not speak Spanish, I would like to suggest having a friend or colleague who can speak Spanish perhaps make the call for you.

spain.PNG

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 1,713
Message 52 of 121

What bothers me the most about this, is the unclear issue definition and approach!

1. It is a "voluntary recall" based on (according to the description) a very limited number of known cases, none of which with a major consequence, however the "Customers should immediately stop using affected computers"..... With my safety assessment hat on, the math does not add up.

2. The description of the problem is ambiguous: "Lenovo’s investigation and analysis determined that an unfastened, small screw" - now I am not a native speaker, but does unfastened mean loose in this case or does it mean "not tight"? Normally you fasten things with a screw, you don't fasten the screw itself as its sole function is to hold together (fasten) other items.

It would help a lot of users if the problem had a clear description.

In my case - my laptop was taken completely apart just last week to replace the top casing integrating the keyboard. I am sure a loose screw would have been noticed or either way left out during the assembly. An untight screw on the other hand could be a different story.

scs3jb
Paper Tape
Views: 1,683
Message 53 of 121

I suspect there aren't enough cases for a mandatory.  Given the fires in the apartment blocks in the UK last year, Lenovo is litterally playing with fire leaving this product out there imo.

Reddit has the actual problem documented, Lenovo has failed to secure four screws directly under the battery and it is denting the battery.  If the battery dents it can conduct heat between the casing, or leak, which is causing it to damage neighbouring components.

Reports are the screws are only 75% secured, so they won't have been spotted unless there is a checklist to try and tighten every screw:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/7vnj9v/loose_screws_partial_recall_of_the_lenovo/

There are further reports that other screws are loose, so the overall build quality on these X1 seem very low.

Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 1,678
Message 54 of 121

Many thanks! This is exactly the information I was looking for and pretty much what I suspected in general.

mrbotchan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,632
Message 55 of 121

For those in New York City:

Lincoln Business Systems on the upper west side. Went there yesterday, and was done in 10 minutes. They are an official Lenovo service agent. Info here... https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lincoln+Business+Machines+Inc/@40.7752797,-73.9811779,15z/data=!4m...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,508
Message 56 of 121
Moved:

moved to general forum and changed title to match subject

hux12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,616
Message 57 of 121

Oh man! I wish I knew this before shipping mine with this company "ASI integration system inc". I dropped off at theor midtown office on Tuesday and still haven't even gotten a notification yet that their depot facility on Long Island reveived my unit! Do you know what the techs at Lincoln Business Systems have done? Just opened the back cover and tighted all screws? (Could have done it myself) How much did you have to pay for that?

@mrbotchan wrote:

For those in New York City:

Lincoln Business Systems on the upper west side. Went there yesterday, and was done in 10 minutes. They are an official Lenovo service agent. Info here... https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lincoln+Business+Machines+Inc/@40.7752797,-73.9811779,15z/data=!4m...

hux12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,611
Message 58 of 121

Thank you so much for sharing this info! I wish Lenovo can be more straight foward about that is exactly going on here, I totally agree with other users that we need more transparency, also to gauge what is the danger we are facing exactly. So basically they did not bother to screw everything tight during the assembly during that particular time period? Is this something that we could fix ourselves with a screw driver or something? Can any lenovo people confirm that is indeed the case?

@scs3jb wrote:

I suspect there aren't enough cases for a mandatory.  Given the fires in the apartment blocks in the UK last year, Lenovo is litterally playing with fire leaving this product out there imo.

Reddit has the actual problem documented, Lenovo has failed to secure four screws directly under the battery and it is denting the battery.  If the battery dents it can conduct heat between the casing, or leak, which is causing it to damage neighbouring components.

Reports are the screws are only 75% secured, so they won't have been spotted unless there is a checklist to try and tighten every screw:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/7vnj9v/loose_screws_partial_recall_of_the_lenovo/

There are further reports that other screws are loose, so the overall build quality on these X1 seem very low.

mrbotchan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,587
Message 59 of 121

The techs at LBS opened the back, removed the battery, looked for any loose screws, and made sure all screws were snug and that there was no damage. Mine had no problems. Also, they said they would be sending a claim in to Lenovo to show that the recall for my machine was remedied.

There was no charge.

scs3jb
Paper Tape
Views: 1,573
Message 60 of 121

@hux12 wrote:

So basically they did not bother to screw everything tight during the assembly during that particular time period?

Build quality on lenovo has been declining for some time, let's assume that some of their factories were not adequately quality controlled and this was faulty machinary.

@hux12 wrote:

Is this something that we could fix ourselves with a screw driver or something? Can any lenovo people confirm that is indeed the case?

Yes, but if you do it yourself, you may damage the case, etc.  I doubt that Lenovo will confirm / sanction you do it yourself, as that would be condoning any damage you cause.  However, yes, you can take it to pieces and tighten the screws.  Do not over tighten as you may strip the screws and these little buggers are a nightmare.

Top Kudoed Authors