Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hux12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,672
Message 61 of 125

Re: Voluntary Recall Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Generation

Thanks for this info! Sounds very reasonable, I just talked to that lenovo partner, they told me the unit is on route to the facility on Long Island, they could ship it straight back to NY without doing anything to it if I want to. I will check with the technician tomorrow and see if they can work on it right away or not, if not, I will ask them to ship straight back and I will receive it sometime next week Tues or Wed latest, so I still have time to bring it to this place on the UWS you suggested for a check-up before my flight on Friday. Thank you so much, you have been more helpful than any Lenovo reps so far! I couldn't even talk to any of them on the phone!

Again, this is ridiculous cusmtomer service for a premium business laptop! we didn't buy a laptop like x1 carbon for casual web browsing or netfilx - it is something we do our daily work with! All the time I have wasted on this stupid recall and facing work deadlines the same time, of course Lenovo doesn't feel anyway responsible for that. A cheap word "sorry" via an mass email that costs nothing is all we get. Like many others have pointed out above, we don't get any details of what exactly is wrong with our units other than some very vague desciption, or how dangerous the situation really is. I have to rely on another customers to find out what is going on and where I can find technicians familiar with Lenovo products on site, in a place like New York, this is unbelievable in the year 2018.

What I have learned from this episode is that I should not buy another Lenovo product. A few years a go I bought a Lenovo thinkpad W520 for work, the same customer service problem. My unit was a lemon that randomly shut itself down a few months after I got it, and after multiple repair attempts that were unable to get it fixed, and months of complain with the customer service, they finally replaced that unit with a new one. As far as I can tell, the customer and warranty service, and also the product quality haven't really improved.

@mrbotchan wrote:

The techs at LBS opened the back, removed the battery, looked for any loose screws, and made sure all screws were snug and that there was no damage. Mine had no problems. Also, they said they would be sending a claim in to Lenovo to show that the recall for my machine was remedied.

There was no charge.

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,540
Message 62 of 125

@hux12 wrote:

Thank you so much for sharing this info! I wish Lenovo can be more straight foward about that is exactly going on here, I totally agree with other users that we need more transparency, also to gauge what is the danger we are facing exactly. So basically they did not bother to screw everything tight during the assembly during that particular time period? Is this something that we could fix ourselves with a screw driver or something? Can any lenovo people confirm that is indeed the case?

@scs3jb wrote:

I suspect there aren't enough cases for a mandatory.  Given the fires in the apartment blocks in the UK last year, Lenovo is litterally playing with fire leaving this product out there imo.

Reddit has the actual problem documented, Lenovo has failed to secure four screws directly under the battery and it is denting the battery.  If the battery dents it can conduct heat between the casing, or leak, which is causing it to damage neighbouring components.

Reports are the screws are only 75% secured, so they won't have been spotted unless there is a checklist to try and tighten every screw:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/7vnj9v/loose_screws_partial_recall_of_the_lenovo/

There are further reports that other screws are loose, so the overall build quality on these X1 seem very low.

They aren't gonna be transparent. They aren't going to provide instructions. We're too stupid.

Fatherb88
Paper Tape
Views: 1,534
Message 63 of 125

Hi Andy,

The service center listed for me is closed permanently.  There are no other centers within 100 miles of San Jose, CA.  This would include San Francisco, Berkeley, Oakland, etc.  Seriously, Lenovo has no service centers for a population of  3+ million people?  I spoke with a service person.  All he did was confirm that there were no service centers and told me to try to get one of the "Lenovo partners" to do the work.  I have to call them and investigate.  I don't have that much time.  I am not willing to ship my computer.  I am willing to open and inspect myself, if you will provide support by providing information on location of the loose screw.  I will take it to a professional, if you authorize me to submit the bill to Lenovo.  This is a recent purchase and I've been a multi-unit customer for both work and home.  The lack of a service center will cause me to avoid Lenovo products in the future.  Most unfortunate, since I think these are excellent machines otherwise.  

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,520
Message 64 of 125

Fatherb88, welcome to the Community,

Using the locator I linked to in post 13 I was able to find 5 "Walkin" service providers within the default range of 30 miles from San Jose, here's the link again.
http://lenovo.force.com/bplocator

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

alxdavids
What's DOS?
Views: 1,507
Message 65 of 125

Hi,

My 5th gen X1C is affected by the product recall. I bought it in the UK but I am currently away in Tokyo for the next 3 months. I tried getting support via the phone but I was rerouted to Japanese support lines that do not support English-speaking. I was wondering if there was a walkin service provider available to me while I am here? Or whether there is a different way of arranging support that does not involve calling.

EddieE
What's DOS?
Views: 1,506
Message 66 of 125

Hi All I only see reference to US and Canada in relation to the X1 Carbon recall. Are other regions affected? or is this just impacting US and Canada ?
Thanks Eddie.
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,493
Message 67 of 125

@alxdavids welcome to the Community,

If you visit the Contact Us site and select your location as Japan with language English in the top right corner of the page, after entering your serial number you will be presented with the different possible contact options for Japan.  Another option would be to enlist the assistance of a fiend or colleague who can speak Japanese to make the call for you.

@EddieE  welcome to the Community

It is a world wide recall, please visit the recall announcement site and scroll down to choose solution options in your Geography.
https://support.lenovo.com/sk/en/solutions/ht504453

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 1,483
Message 68 of 125

Well, there is as you have probably seen this video for dummies now. It shows the whole procedure nicely.

I inspected mine yesterday based on the information provided here (video, pictures, etc.). It takes about 15min.

I found no untight screws. No damage to battery. (But again mine was serviced for replacement of the keyboard just last week)

This is of course all done at your discretion and on your own responsibility.

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,414
Message 69 of 125

@Shinymoon wrote:

Well, there is as you have probably seen this video for dummies now. It shows the whole procedure nicely.

I inspected mine yesterday based on the information provided here (video, pictures, etc.). It takes about 15min.

I found no untight screws. No damage to battery. (But again mine was serviced for replacement of the keyboard just last week)

This is of course all done at your discretion and on your own responsibility.

That's my plan later today or this weekend. There are no service centers near me and I am not mailing mine to the Lenovo service black hole.

On the other hand, there is an Apple store just a couple of miles from me. Shoulda kept my mac.

Leavenovo could provide simple instructions. Everything here seems to indicate this thing is a freaking fire hazard and bomb. Pretty sure that is an overreaction due to all of the past few years with Samsung.

Admin note; profanity / implied profanity captured by smut filter edited.  Keep it Clean!

Andrew250
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,403
Message 70 of 125

The technician just left. No loose screws anywhere. No damage to the battery. He was here for less than 15 minutes. Good to know it's safe now. And the on-site warranty sure just paid for itself.  It's not a complicated inspection, although you do have to remove the battery to inspect the underside where the screws could rub it.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors