Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BluebirdinPA
Paper Tape
Views: 1,492
Message 71 of 113

Re: Voluntary Recall Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Generation

I checked my Thinkpad and it'a affected by the recall. There's a Microcenter less than 10 miles from me that's an official Lwenovo repair site. I called them. They said they can't do this repair unless Lenovo calls them to authorize it, even though my system is still in warranty.

So I called Lenovo, and after a 20 minute wait, a rep finally answered. She took my name, address, phone and email (odd, since Lenovo already had that info else how did they ship my system and email me), then said I'd get an email.I asked who would do the repair and she said Lenovo would probably send someone. A few minutes later, I got an email with my service case number (405MVPW). Lenovo is sending me a bos to ship them my system and states that it should only take SIX DAYS to fix it.

I can't be without my system that long. I need it to do my job! 

Given that this repair is simply opening the case and either tightening or removing 1-4 screws, why can't Lenovo let my local Microcenter do it?

I'm very concerned, because this is not my "first rodeo" with Lenovo support. The present Thinkpad is a free replacement for the one I bought in December of 2016 that Lenovo couldn't fix but took 2 months to replace after I shipped it to them.

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,493
Message 72 of 113

@ThorsHammer wrote:

@Shinymoon wrote:

Well, there is as you have probably seen this video for dummies now. It shows the whole procedure nicely.

I inspected mine yesterday based on the information provided here (video, pictures, etc.). It takes about 15min.

I found no untight screws. No damage to battery. (But again mine was serviced for replacement of the keyboard just last week)

This is of course all done at your discretion and on your own responsibility.

That's my plan later today or this weekend. There are no service centers near me and I am not mailing mine to the Lenovo service black hole.

On the other hand, there is an Apple store just a couple of miles from me. Shoulda kept my mac.

Leavenovo could provide simple instructions. Everything here seems to indicate this thing is a freaking fire hazard and bomb. Pretty sure that is an overreaction due to all of dog poo the past few years with Samsung.

Admin note; profanity / implied profanity captured by smut filter edited.  Keep it Clean!

Fixed Smiley Happy

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,489
Message 73 of 113

@BluebirdinPA wrote:

I checked my Thinkpad and it'a affected by the recall. There's a Microcenter less than 10 miles from me that's an official Lwenovo repair site. I called them. They said they can't do this repair unless Lenovo calls them to authorize it, even though my system is still in warranty.

So I called Lenovo, and after a 20 minute wait, a rep finally answered. She took my name, address, phone and email (odd, since Lenovo already had that info else how did they ship my system and email me), then said I'd get an email.I asked who would do the repair and she said Lenovo would probably send someone. A few minutes later, I got an email with my service case number (405MVPW). Lenovo is sending me a bos to ship them my system and states that it should only take SIX DAYS to fix it.

Given that this repair is simply opening the case and either tightening or removing 1-4 screws, why can't Lenovo let my local Microcenter do it?

I'm very concerned, because this is not my "first rodeo" with Lenovo support. The present Thinkpad is a free replacement for the one I bought in December of 2016 that Lenovo couldn't fix but took 2 months to replace after I shipped it to them.

Precisely my issue. Microcenter is the closest and they are 40 miles. Not letting those yahoos touch mine. It's times like these when you see how poor support is for hardware and software.

hux12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,477
Message 74 of 113

I can totally feel your pain. I just check the repair/inspection status for my recall with the lenovo partner. They told me they inspected the unit, all screws were tight and the battery is totally fine. After running an obligatory hardware diagnostic, everything seems to be fine and the note from the technician explicitly mentioned "it is safe to use". They are shipping it back to me and I can expect to pick it up next week sometime. So the total turn-around would be 6-7 days in my case.

I still cannot believe it a simple issue would cost a week for us to deal with. I think the reasons they don't encourage costumers to fix it themselves is the potential warranty/responsibility complications. For example, if you accidentally damage something during your repair attempt, then it can obviously not be covered by warranty, but then it's hard to prove whether it's your fault or the product was defect to begin with. Another extremely unlikely scenario could be, for example,you take your x1 onto a flight your laptop starts to smoke and the plane needs to do an emergency landing, then, you would be charged with some cime in this case, since you knew the laptop could be a fire hazard and you didn't follow Lenovo's advice to send it for safty check. Or the same issue if it starts to burn in your home or office and causes the fire for the entire building, then you would also be liable for that. But if you let Lenovo or a certified service partner to do the job, you can avoid liabilities in these extreme cases.

But regardless what the reason might be, I fully agree with other customers that the support service is extremely poor for a company of the size of Lenovo, not only they don't have any physical stores, not in a city like New York at least (and I dare to say anywhere outside China? Correct me if I am wrong), like the apple stores, where you can walk in and talk to a "genius" about tech problems, but also they do not make any attempt to compensate us affected customers in anyway with eveb a gesture. Let me give you one example with Amazon. One time I had a shipment notification that my package was delivered but I couldn't find it at my house. I asked Amazon customer support to call me, and within 5 min, a human called me on my phone and apologized for the confusion and delay, and without me asking for anything, the rep offered me a month free Amazon prime membership, which would have otherwise costed like 10 bucks or something, and despite all that the package came 1 h later, so technically there was no delay.

Lenovo could have offered us customers affected by a recall due to their own sloppiness, who have to put up with a lot work related compications, at least something, like a free upgrade for a on-site warrenty repair for those, or even a coupon for some stuff in the Lenovo store, intead, we got absolutely *nothing* other than a mass email. The message I got from Lenovo is simply "We know you had a choice to choose a reliable work tool, but you made the wrong choicem we got your money and it's your problem now".  

@BluebirdinPA wrote:

JeremyChen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,464
Message 75 of 113

how do you get a technician doing the inspection on site?
hux12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,462
Message 76 of 113

Normally, if you have the on-site support warranty (instead of depot). You call Lenovo tech support and they will send a certified technician with tools etc to meet you either at your home or office to do the repair etc there where you meet them, so you dont need to ship your unit to a depot.

@JeremyChen wrote:
how do you get a technician doing the inspection on site?

Fatherb88
Paper Tape
Views: 1,459
Message 77 of 113

Thanks for letting me know that having a ThinkPad makes me a corporate customer! I didn't know that. Just for your information, the MicroCenter on the web site of your link that is located in Santa Clara, CA has been closed for over a year. I'm going to try CompuCare in the same city. They are busy with many of these. Will report back next week.
jrpaulson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,365
Message 78 of 113

Staymobile in Corvallis, OR just finished servicing my X1 Carbon and I was able to watch the entire process. The repair person checked/tightened all visible screws but did NOT remove the battery and check those screws. I asked about checking the screws under the battery and he said that wasn't part of the provided instructions.
scs3jb
Paper Tape
Views: 1,350
Message 79 of 113

The screws under the battery are the only ones that he needed to check, ironically.

jrpaulson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,344
Message 80 of 113

Based on what I've read on this forum and reddit, I agree. But is there an authoritative source stating it is the screws under the battery? An actual Lenovo document? Something in addition to a possibly random video on the Lenovo site that has been taken down?
Top Kudoed Authors