Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,615
Message 81 of 121

Re: Voluntary Recall Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Generation

@jrpaulson wrote:
Based on what I've read on this forum and reddit, I agree. But is there an authoritative source stating it is the screws under the battery? An actual Lenovo document? Something in addition to a possibly random video on the Lenovo site that has been taken down?

Of course not. That would make sense.

Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 1,527
Message 82 of 121

Just out of curiosity - don't all X1 Carbons come with On-Site Repair Warranty?

(In Europe they do).

P.s. if the inspection video has been taken down as someone here mentions (I have not checked)... some of us have it  Smiley Wink Just FYI.

This is a badly, badly managed situation by Lenovo. The more they try to do damage control, the worse it actually gets.

serenitynow1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,456
Message 83 of 121

I dropped my laptop off at ASI in NYC last week and just called to follow up. He said my battery is defective (?) and have to order a new one. Anybody else have to replace the battery? I thought it was just tightening screws. This is annoying since he doesn't know when the new batteries will get there. 

Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 1,400
Message 84 of 121

Have you really read the preceeding posts or advisory from Lenovo?

Screws (if untight) can penatrate the battery causing short circuit (or worse), which in turn can cause fire.

If your battery has been visually damaged (even though it is not on fire yet) it must be replaced. That's the whole point of the recall. It is not about the concern that screws may not fulfill their purpose in life and may feel sad about it. Smiley Happy

serenitynow1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,378
Message 85 of 121

It's not clear from the posts/advisory how the battery can be damaged. I assumed if the laptop was working there wasn't a short circuit (yet) and the screws just needed to be tightened as a precaution. I don't remember anyone else needing a replacement battery...

Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 1,372
Message 86 of 121

It was mentioned in the video I believe. And it makes perfect sense. It would be irresponsible to just remove the "intruder" and leave a damaged battery in. You would still be at risk. And if I were you I would consider it a positive thing - you are getting a fresh battery free of charge Smiley Happy

serenitynow1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,367
Message 87 of 121

Yeah can't complain about a new battery just the wait sucks

BluebirdinPA
Paper Tape
Views: 1,317
Message 88 of 121

The problem is that some of us need the Thinkpad to work every day (like me) and a new battery may not be needed anyway. It would make sense to use local "official" repair services to at least check if there is a problem, and even ship them the new battery if it is needed.

Does anyone know how to contact someone at Lenovo who can authorize this versus shipping the system off for at least a week?

hux12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,297
Message 89 of 121

@serenitynow1 wrote:

I dropped my laptop off at ASI in NYC last week and just called to follow up. He said my battery is defective (?) and have to order a new one. Anybody else have to replace the battery? I thought it was just tightening screws. This is annoying since he doesn't know when the new batteries will get there. 

Hi there,

I just picked up mine from ASI in NYC today. The note the technician attached said mine was all fine, no loose screw and battery is fine. And the ASI people I talk to today in the Manhattan office (31st ST, Penn square) said due to the recall they have a technician now on site there some days. You could actually talk to or let the guy to do some inspection on site rather than ship the laptop away. But I noticed that some screw on the base cover, those you need to unscrew appear loose and cannot bet tightened. Although everthing seems to be tight and in place, still it's a bit weird, I am wondering if it is normal?

Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 1,279
Message 90 of 121

I will repeat my question:

"Just out of curiosity - don't all X1 Carbons come with On-Site Repair Warranty?

(In Europe they do)."

Why are you guys sending your machines!? Yo buy a premium product for premium price and you don't even get On-Site Warranty?

And no - it is not normal for the bottom-cover screws to be untight.

Top Kudoed Authors