Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

05-31-2008

Bangkok

12 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 1 of 2

WWAN card 3G Lenovo branded or Sierra Wireless

2008-05-31, 10:09 AM
I am planning to buy Lenovo X300 and use in Thailand. Does anyone know about the different of the 2 WWAN modules.
Sierra Wireless MC8775 and Lenovo FRU 41T0901. From what I knoiw the Sierra make the module for Lenovo. Is the two things exactly the same (it look the same) or the Lenovo has the FRU embedded on the card ?
I am affraid of having problem with BIOS if I install the module that I buy direct from Sierra.
Options

15 Posts

01-01-2009

Israel

38 Signins

470 Page Views

• Views: 470
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: WWAN card 3G Lenovo branded or Sierra Wireless

2009-01-27, 22:35 PM

Hello,

I have done some deep research on this matter for myself, I have an x61 and would like to swap the factory installed wwan card with a gsm card by Sierra but not with Lenovo FRU.

The Thinkpad bios will not accept parts other than the ones approved by lenovo and on which there is lenovo FRU#, even if from the same manufacturer, the "Whitelist" is here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62906 

if you would install a generic part non lenovo approved, the bios will not boot the system, give you an error message  and tell you to remove the card.

There is a solution for this issue, it can be found here:  http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=55837&start=300 

but it involves flashing your machine with a modified bios which could be risky.

I am going to try it because my preinstalled wwan card is for services by Vrison in the USA, I need a GSM card for Europe and other locations with GSM providers only, I will remove the original which is useless for me and replace it with a non Lenovo Sierra MC8775 WWAN HSDPA 3G card and flash the bios.

Hope this helps

Message Edited by pandavi on 01-28-2009 12:55 AM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms