Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

25 Posts

06-02-2020

Trinidad and Tobago

28 Signins

195 Page Views

• Views: 195
  • Message 1 of 9

What exactly triggers the 4 Yoga Modes?

2021-03-15, 13:47 PM

This is my last attempt to fix one of my X1 Yoga G2 that refuses to convert to tablet in the OS.

When you fold a Yoga into tablet mode, I need to know what tells the OS to do things like the following:

1) Disable keyboard and touchpad (to avoid accidental pressing in tablet mode)

2) Enable onscreen keyboard upon touching a typeable area (this does not happen in laptop mode)

I know this should be a combination of a mechanical sensor and a software driver.

I am 99% sure that it is not a hardware problem after swapping the motherboard into a fully functional chassis.

Please help me understand what exactly is supposed to happen when you fold this laptop.

This is after two weeks of troubleshooting, swapping motherboards, disassembly to learn the engineering etc.

The warranty expired a few months ago and the "contact us" page is blank today for some reason. 

At my wits end here.

I REALLY APPRECIATE THIS.

~ Digital Audio Workstation Life ~
Options

2460 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

266 Signins

12486 Page Views

• Views: 12486
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:What exactly triggers the 4 Yoga Modes?

2021-03-15, 14:21 PM

Hi DAWlife ,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

After all the extensive troubleshooting you've done, I'm going to assume you've already checked that you have these settings ?

Control panel-> Keyboard (use icons) -> Keyboard Lock -> Auto Lock the keyboard and touchpad (recommended).

Some users do report this to have fixed the issue but some has also said that this Win 10 "Option" was not available on their device.

In the event you do not have these settings, please make sure you have the latest Keyboard (Trackpoint firmware), Chipset (Sensor Hub Firmware and Chipset) drivers , while also getting the latest Lenovo System Foundation Interface drivers as of 12 of March.  They can all be manually downloaded from the Support Site. Just plot in the serial number and navigate to Drivers & Software - Manual Update.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

25 Posts

06-02-2020

Trinidad and Tobago

28 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2021-03-15, 14:29 PM

@Voithos thanks for this quick response.

All of the X1 Yoga Gen 2 I recently acquired were given clean installations of Windows 10 and then System Update drivers and Firmware.

So I believe they all have the same default settings, but I can double check that when I get home soon.

Options

25 Posts

06-02-2020

Trinidad and Tobago

28 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2021-03-15, 22:02 PM

@Voithos  Ok there is no such option available. In any case as I mentioned all the settings with my laptops are identical as they have clean installations and updates done at the same time. 

Is there any way I can use the (edit:) Process monitor to observe in my working units what is supposed to happen?

I think the only thing that will show in Procmon for my defective unit is the Unmanageable Key Combinations triggered. 

Also, I still have no idea what exactly triggers the Yoga modes in Windows. What driver is responsible for it? Is it a magnetic sensor? I could not find any information at all. 

Options

2460 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

266 Signins

12486 Page Views

• Views: 12486
  • Message 5 of 9

2021-03-16, 9:07 AM

@ DAWlife wrote:

Voithos  Ok there is no such option available. In any case as I mentioned all the settings with my laptops are identical as they have clean installations and updates done at the same time. 

Is there any way I can use the (edit:) Process monitor to observe in my working units what is supposed to happen?

I think the only thing that will show in Procmon for my defective unit is the Unmanageable Key Combinations triggered. 

Also, I still have no idea what exactly triggers the Yoga modes in Windows. What driver is responsible for it? Is it a magnetic sensor? I could not find any information at all. 

I am unfortunately not able to pinpoint what exactly triggers the tablet mode, but if I had to make a logical guess, then I'd say it's a magnetic sensor of sorts at certain fold points of the device. I've troubleshooted devices where the sensor drivers have made a difference, so it's the only one I've come across that makes sense, but unfortunately I have not come across any article on how foldable/tablet laptops actually mechanically work.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

25 Posts

06-02-2020

Trinidad and Tobago

28 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2021-05-25, 16:44 PM

Two relevant updates but no solution. It might be safe to say that the defective Yoga Modes are an operating system and Intel Integrated Sensor Driver problem.

1) Two of the sensors are failing diagnostics due to noise (accelerator and gyrometer) and the Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver refuses to install via System Update or manual download. (Edit-noise test passed now)

2) I have found one piece of evidence that suggests that this problem can be fixed. This person had the exact same problem on an HP Spectre X360 which was fully functional until a factory reset. Which leads me to believe that the root of this problem is very technical and at the Intel/Microsoft/Lenovo developer level.

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/a67fkz/convertible_driver_issue_intel_integrated_sensor/

It all started when I ran a factory reset of my older laptop, the Spectre x360. I did not expect that when it rebooted, it had lost virtually all its tablet functionality.

Specifically, it does not allow for any change of the screen rotate option. Screen lock is on at a default and is completely greyed out. In addition, tablet mode and flipping the screen into a tablet form do not lock the keyboard or trackpad. Essentially, the computer has lost its tablet functionalities.

Now, this is a relatively common issue with these convertibles, so I did not think much of it. I burned through the usual solutions pretty quickly. They did not work. However, there is a deeper issue here.

I have narrowed down the main issue to the Intel Integrated Sensor Solution driver. I have tried installing this perhaps hundreds of times, with dozens of different iterations, but it simply does not show up on my Device Manager. To track it, I tried bypassing files to go to the installer ( "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{6725DB57-487E-42F9-B986-A3113872FE47}v3.0.4.1012\ISS_Drivers_x64.msi" ) and giving it more authority to mess with my system and whatnot but it just does not show up on my device. In addition, the Sensor Solution driver is nowhere to be found on, say, legacy devices, which is peculiar because my Spectre had previously had this driver before my factory reset. I'm pretty fuddled on what happened to neuter my Spectre's sensors :/ Help would be greatly appreciated.

Options

90 Posts

08-15-2017

Netherlands

101 Signins

1251 Page Views

• Views: 1251
  • Message 7 of 9

2021-05-26, 14:38 PM

Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver should install normally. That's weird.

Have you tried these things?

Lenovo Diagnostics via BootMenu

Bios Update > Bios settings > Sleep: Linux > Fresh Win10 install

Intel ME Firmware Update (does MEInfoWin64.exe show errors?)

Thunderbolt Firmware update

You don't need SystemInterfaceFoundation. Leave it out.

reset X1Y2nd at startup via little hole on the bottom

Options

25 Posts

06-02-2020

Trinidad and Tobago

28 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2021-05-26, 16:10 PM

This is really interesting as I have not seen this advice before.

I ran ldiagnostics inside Windows itself and I could not find MEInfoWin64.exe in the Driver folder when I was trying to check it via CMD.

Unfortunately I ended up selling the unit yesterday.I still have contact with the person who bought it, so if he is willing I'll give those checks a try.

Thanks for your help with this.

Options

90 Posts

08-15-2017

Netherlands

101 Signins

1251 Page Views

• Views: 1251
  • Message 9 of 9

2021-05-27, 11:09 AM

@ DAWlife wrote:

This is really interesting as I have not seen this advice before.

I ran ldiagnostics inside Windows itself and I could not find MEInfoWin64.exe in the Driver folder when I was trying to check it via CMD.

Unfortunately I ended up selling the unit yesterday.I still have contact with the person who bought it, so if he is willing I' give those checks a try.

Thanks for your help with this.

MEInfoWin64.exe is part of the IntelME Firmware update package.

Maybe the Intel ISS firmware is broken.

I had fun with this a while ago... :(

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1Y3-Intel-ISS-Integrated-Sensor-Solutions-driver-breaks-keyboard-and-touch-completely/m-p/5045979?page=1#5169399

Had to swap the mainboard then but know now how to flash the broken fw part.

You're welcome

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms