Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

236 Posts

05-21-2009

United States of America

467 Signins

3359 Page Views

• Views: 3359
  • Message 1 of 9

What is "Battery 1?" Can it be ignored in Windows 10?

2021-03-18, 20:40 PM

I have a several-year-old Lenovo Thinkpad x270 (20HNCT01WW) running Windows 10 Home (2004).  It has complained for some time that "Battery 1" is very low.  (The main battery was replaced approx. one year ago.  I'm assuming that one is reported as "Battery 2" in Windows 10.  Correct?)  Recently the machine has started shutting down whenever AC power is unplugged, presumably because Windows thinks the main(?) battery is low, which is intolerable.  I'm looking for a way to prevent this, short of replacing the embedded "1110 Coin-cell battery," which I presume is implicated here.

As I remember from an older Thinkpad, the coin cell is needed only to maintain the clock and, perhaps, the BIOS (though these days that should certainly be in non-volatile memory!), when both AC power and the main battery are unplugged.  Correct?  (This older machine was running Windows 7, which was more forgiving about a lot of things, and I could tolerate temporary loss of the clock time.)  If so, it would be a lot easier to adjust Windows 10 to ignore "Battery 1," but I can't find any way to do this.

Must I get a tech to replace the coin cell for me (if that's indeed the cause?), or is there a way around this problem in Windows 10? -- JCW2

Options

2557 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

188 Signins

12895 Page Views

• Views: 12895
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:What is "Battery 1?" Can it be ignored in Windows 10?

2021-03-18, 22:39 PM

Hello JCW2,

Greetings

Your X270 comes with 2 batteries:
-Internal battery (Integrated Li-ion or Li-Polymer 3 cell 23Wh)
-External battery (Removable Li-ion 3 or 6 cell, 48Wh or 72Wh)

Most likely the removable battery is the one you recently replaced.
Kindly contact a technician to check the internal battery, and probably have it replaced.

Here's the link for internal battery details:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x270/20hn/parts/display/compatible

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

236 Posts

05-21-2009

United States of America

467 Signins

3359 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2021-03-18, 23:28 PM

Thanks, Lorenzo, for your reply -- Can you please answer these specific questions?

1) By "Battery 1" does Windows mean the internal battery?  If so, what does it do?  Is it reasonable for it to fail in less than 4 years?

2) Can Windows be forced to ignore "Battery 1" so that it doesn't shut down when AC is unplugged?

Best Regards -- JCW2

Options

236 Posts

05-21-2009

United States of America

467 Signins

3359 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2021-03-19, 14:40 PM

Dear Lorenzo -- Further, the battery description you provide (also found in your link) does not agree with the description in the "X270 Hardware Maintenance Manual," which says on p.31,

"Checking the coin-cell battery
To check the coin-cell battery, do the following:
1. Disable the built-in battery. See “Disabling the built-in battery” on page 66.
2. Remove the coin-cell battery. See “1110 Coin-cell battery” on page 82.
3. Measure the voltage of the coin-cell battery.
Wire Voltage (V dc)
Red +2.5 to +3.2
Black Ground
• If the voltage is correct, replace the system board.
• If the voltage is not correct, replace the coin-cell battery.
• If the coin-cell battery discharges quickly after replacement, replace the system board."

This is certainly not a 3-cell 23Wh battery!  Please explain. -- JCW2

Options

236 Posts

05-21-2009

United States of America

467 Signins

3359 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2021-03-19, 15:56 PM

A little searching in this forum shows that many folks with x-series laptops (including X270s) have reported problems that look related to mine, and few if any of these are marked "solved" -- a few don't ever have replies!  Some have suggested this is a problem with Windows (not correctly detecting/managing hardware??) rather that a physical battery failure.  Under the circumstances I would have expected a more conclusive solution from Lenovo by now...

If the Windows power-management drivers aren't up to the task, how about the Lenovo drivers?  If I install (or replace) those Lenovo drivers, does that automatically supersede the Windows drivers?  If not, is there some way to turn the Windows drivers off and use only Lenove?  Has anyone had luck with the Lenovo drivers?

Still hoping for answers... -- JCW2

Options

236 Posts

05-21-2009

United States of America

467 Signins

3359 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2021-03-21, 17:17 PM

Update:  After using Device Manager to remove both batteries and the AC adapter, then searching for new hardware to bring them back (see AM-S post at

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Win10-1903-Battery-1-not-detected-Windows-glitch/m-p/4445683?page=1#5287346), I see that the two batteries are reversed.  Battery 1 now appears to be the main battery -- at least it charges and discharges predictable and no longer shuts down the computer when AC is unplugged.  Battery 2 now appears to be the sick internal battery and reports 0%.

This makes it seem that these battery numbers in Windows are mutable and therefore relatively meaningless...

It also seems as though Lorenzo_Lenovo just made a drive-by and does not intend to respond to follow-up questions -- typical of these Lenovo techs! -- JCW2

Options

236 Posts

05-21-2009

United States of America

467 Signins

3359 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2021-03-24, 0:31 AM

Another Update:  It's the internal battery ("45N1113," 23.48 Wh) that's working and the removable battery ("45N11125," 48.84 Wh) that's not charging and not recognized!  How does this make sense?

Today I reloaded all the relevant Lenovo software and ran a battery test.  It reported that the "Main Battery" was fully charged and working, whereas the "Secondary Battery" was possibly defective and 0% charged.  I then shut the computer down, removed the removable battery, which is fairly new and directly from Lenovo, and then powered up.  The x270 came up just fine, and the test reported that the "Main Battery" was fully charged.  I don't understand this or what to do about it.  I can't believe the removable battery is either not Lenovo or not functional.  Where to next?

More help needed please... -- JCW2

Options

236 Posts

05-21-2009

United States of America

467 Signins

3359 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2021-03-25, 0:36 AM

Dear Lorenzo -- More help needed:  What are the acceptable identifiers for the removable (external) battery on the x270?

Although the link you gave me (with the serial number entered) does give two listings for a 3 cell 23 Wh LiIon battery, it's described as an "external" battery, and neither one (nor their substitutes) matches the number found below as actually being on or inside the computer.  There is no listing all for for an "internal" battery.  Further, there is no listing for a 6 cell 48 or 72 Wh battery.

I've finally learned by trial and error that "Battery 1" is the internal battery (which is working and identified as 45N1113, 23.48 Wh, by the Lenovo diagnostic software).  "Battery 2" is the removable, or "secondary," battery (identified as 45N1125, 48.84 Wh), which is reported as 0% charged and is rejected by the system as not compatible and therefore not chargeable.  Is this 45N1125, which was sold to me by Lenovo as a substitute for the original removable battery, in fact supposed to be compatible?  If so, how to I make the system recognize and charge it?  (It can't have died already, as it's only a year or so old!) -- JCW2

Options

2557 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

188 Signins

12895 Page Views

• Views: 12895
  • Message 9 of 9

2021-04-13, 21:14 PM

Hello JCW2,

Sorry for the late response.
You can check more on the available chargeable battery using the MTM or serial here in parts lookup.

Here, under commodities would filter the external removable battery and the internal ones along with the image for your reference.

These provided Lithium battery is different from the RTC or real time clock coin cell battery that maintains the time and date settings.

Battery lifetime depends on the usage on how it applies to its life cycle so it always depends on several factors.
Not all similar battery would also be expected to work and OEM battery FRU should be use as it is whitelisted from the BIOS.

Best to have it further checked internally with a service center to have this diagnosed internally instead of relying with the software.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms