cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raheel786
Fanfold Paper
Views: 316
Message 1 of 6

What is the best way to Save a Copy of my Recovery Partition?

So I have a Recovery Partition, I don't know if it is OneKey or not as I don't see a One Key App on the computer and I haven't tried F11 when booting.  But for my peace of Mind I want to backup the partition in case I ever do a Full Wipe and Clean Install, I have heard if you dont do it before clean install you might lose it.  Its been ages since I used recovery partitions, always do clean install, so I don't know the procedure required nor how to back it up.

Thank you!

- X1Extreme 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 312
Message 2 of 6

Re: What is the best way to Save a Copy of my Recovery Partition?

If it's an X1E you're asking about: like other newer models it uses PBR (push-button-recovery).  The recovery "image" is actually mixed into the OS partition.  The recovery partition contains tools but not the image.

The way to save a bootable recovery image is to use the Recovery Drive tool in Windows.  Type "recovery drive" in the Cortana search box and go from there.  Be sure to tick the "Back up system files..." check box.

You can make USB flash media and put that aside.  You can also copy the contents of the flash drive to any media you like: optical, external HDD, whatever.  If you need to make a new bootable recovery flash drive just copy the contents back to a FAT32 drive.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

GomJabbar
Punch Card
Views: 279
Message 3 of 6

To add what zoltanthegypsy wrote, the Recovery Media (with the Recovery Partition) needs to be installed on a bootable device (CD's, DVD's, hard drive, USB stick, etc.), as the MBR (Master Boot Record) associated with the recovery partition is needed to use the recovery partition. Using the process zoltanthegypsy outlines assures that this is done (to the best of my knowledge).

Here is a link: How can I create Recovery Media, or order from Lenovo

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 273
Message 4 of 6

@GomJabbar wrote:

To add what zoltanthegypsy wrote, the Recovery Media (with the Recovery Partition) needs to be installed on a bootable device (CD's, DVD's, hard drive, USB stick, etc.), as the MBR (Master Boot Record) associated with the recovery partition is needed to use the recovery partition. Using the process zoltanthegypsy outlines assures that this is done (to the best of my knowledge).

Here is a link: How can I create Recovery Media, or order from Lenovo

I have to offer a bit of a different opinion....  These new machines will create UEFI-bootable recovery media.  There's no MBR involved.

It's sufficient to simply place the required files on a FAT32-formatted bootable device - HDD or flash.  That's why it's easy to archive the recovery media.  It's  a simple file copy, not an *install* to media, since there's no MBR/bootloader required.

That link is a bit dated, but it reminded me that I should have included the DDRS option:  you can download a recovery/install image (once!) directly from Lenovo - if your machine qualifies.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103653?LinkTrack=Solr

I usually do both: make media (which will be up-to-day with Windows updates) and download an image.  Belt and suspenders Smiley Wink

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Raheel786
Fanfold Paper
Views: 257
Message 5 of 6

Can you Walk me through, Do I clone just the recovery image, or am I cloning the whole HD as it is? which is too big?

I want to recover my laptop to factory state than also do a image of that and also do a image of just the recovery for future use.

And you are saying if I save a image it wont be bootable so I would get another USB and put the image on there in Fat 32 and it will boot from that second USB?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 252
Message 6 of 6

As I said above, to make a recovery image type "recovery drive" in the Cortana search box and follow the instructions. Make sure to check the "include system files" check box.

This will make a bootable image that will take you back to factory state.  More precisely, it will take you back to factory state but will include any operating system updates that have occurred since the machine shipped.  It does not include any user changes or user data.  It's not the whole drive.

You can use the created media - typically a flash drive - and boot it to restore your machine to the above described (updated) factory state.  You don't need another flash drive.

What I was trying to explain is how to do the above, and also archive the bootable files.  If you ever lost the first flash drive, or it became corrupted, you could create a new one by copying the saved files to a new drive and booting that.

Perhaps this will explain things more clearly:  https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht117511

One correction to the above link: it was written pre PBR machines, so the discussion of a "recovery partition" isn't quite accurate.  The result is the same, however.

Z.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors